[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - pain and gabapentin

pain and gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pain and gabapentin

Postby Kittykatz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have had fibromyalgia for a while now. I was diagnosed about 4-5 months ago but have been suffering longer than that. Basically it all started out as lower back pain that was persistent which I still have to this day, I've had the back problem over a year and I get bouts of severe lower back pain that can last upto a week.

moving on, all the other problems started leg pain hand pain arm pain etc the doctor prescribed me gabapentin I was on 300mg 3x a day and it did not help at all. I was also on naproxen 500mg and cocodamol 30/500 but I had been on cocodamol a while so I built up a tolerance, none of the tablets worked.

and earlier today my doctor put me on 600mg 3x a day so far I've had 2 and i'm still having bad pain. I know it takes a while to start working. also I have had a test for lupus and rheumatoid factor. calcium etc, all fine. my doctor and I are confused as to why the gabapentin aren't working.

I forgot to say I'm female and i'm only small 20 years old. I also have tender lumps on my ribs and a swollen sternum which I forgot to mention to my doctor (fibro fog). and for about a month I have had a blueish/yellowy tinge in the whites of my eyes. I don't have any liver problems, I don't drink and only noticed it a month ago. also randomly get flashes in my vision at the outer corners. the doctor said I shouldn't be worried and that she wants to check them at my next appointment.

The only time I'm not in pain is when I'm asleep I also asked for lidocaine patches but my doctor said they can't prescribe them for fibro because of the area budget. in that case would I not just be able to take the prescription to a different chemist as I know one that does them on prescription, I'm in alot of pain and i'm wondering if they aren't working is something else causing my problems sorry for the long post.
Thanks Emma.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar, punctuation and splitting into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
Kittykatz
UKFM Newbie

Re: pain and gabapentin

Postby Angie Baby » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 am

Hi Emma, I too have stopped using codeine. I felt that my body was used to it. You shouldn't be taking this medicine for too long. I've been using codeine since 2008 after I damaged my back at work. I've had cortisone injections into my spine a few times but nothing touched the pain. I have since had two operations on my spine, the first in 2008 and the second in 2010. I'm in consent severe pain. I have cortisone injections in both of my knee's. I've also got polymyalgia , frozen shoulder. I've had numerous cortisone injections in to my shoulder. I'm going for an injection using an X ray to guide the injection into the right place. I also have morphine patches. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday to see if he will prescribed me some different pain killers because the pain is unbearable right now. I hope that you can get the right prescription to help ease your pain. Angie
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby heatherjswiegers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 am

Hello Emma

Firstly welcome, if you feel alone know that we all have fibro and know how you feel.
Have you been referred to the pain clinic?

The lidicaine patches are a red flag item, not many GPs will prescribe, pain clinic can made a recommendation to your GP to prescribe them.
Ask your GP to refer you to pain clinic.
In the beginning it's trial an error with the meds. it's really hard to get the pain in a stage of having a base line daily meds and then top up with a stronger Med when things get really bad. The patches help me, it's helps with pain all over the body, but I still need to top up meds.
Gavapenton did not help me, pregabalin only helps in the highest dose.u
I wish you strength and posetivity
heatherjswiegers
UKFM Member

Postby LesleyD » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am

I live in Scotland and have a great GP. I am on MST, Arcoxia, Gabapentin and Paracetamol for pain. I know that my dose of Gabapentin is low compared to others but although it doesn't take the pain away completely I am able to continue to work albeit part time. I hope that your GP refers you to pain management and you get the correct medication. Take care, keep strong mentally and you will get there xx
LesleyD
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am

hi Emma

sorry to hear your suffering with this awful illness. I think like others have said you will take time to find medications that help you, but unfortunately some just don't seem to work for us. up until a couple of months ago the only thing I was taking was co-codamol when the pain got really bad (only one tablet at a time otherwise I get too drowsy). but then my GP said to try gabapentin (having already tried amitriptilene, nortriptilene, tramadol and pregabalin, all of which either didn't work or left me like a zombie).

so now I'm on gabapentin but it's doing nothing for my pain. only difference compared to the previous medications is that I can still function on it. but I still have to take co-codamol when I need to. but that's just me, :-) me and medication don't seem to get on well :roll: :-)

so all I'm trying to say is, it doesn't mean that you have something else going on besides the fibro if your current medication isn't working, it could just be that they don't work for you or you haven't found the right dosage yet. definitely go back to your GP and explain that things aren't helping yet.

all the best. :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby zyta » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi Emma I too am new here this is first time ive posted anything I understand the pain as at the moment im having a bad time also with my fibro I have the usual all over pain and weakness but my spine from top of head to the tail bone is really extreme at moment its so true about beening an invisible illness im sick of the usual sayings too me that are all so common im on a lot of pain meds and I haven't ever been pain free for even an hour this past couple of years ive had fibro for more than 10 years and its just got gradually worse with me here is a list of what im on mst 20mgs twice daily paracetamol 500mg 4 tmes daily naproxen 500mgs one twice dailydiazepam 5mgs tice daily propranolol 80mgs daily lyrica 300mgs one twice daily amitriptyline 10mgs nightly and other meds not to do with my fibro shake me if you could and id rattle lol has anyone any ideas what else I could take or what to try ect was pot on 30 mgs of codeine yesterday as only thing gp said was left for me to help ease my spinal pain it is helping by taking edge of it a great deal so I feel im stuck with med question myself if any one could help im so sick of this illness and yes on antidepressant please help me so fed up Also hard to say but think gp is sick of me as she don't know where to turn to she wont increase meds due to copd and the risk of respiratory failure as the dosage of some were cut down think ive hit a brick wall as was in intensive care 4times last year due to respitary failure
ii i
zyta
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kittykatz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

Hi all, I am sorry to hear everybody else is suffering too :( but it's good to know there are alot of people out there that understand as they are going through it themselves. Thanks for all the advice etc I will ask my gp if I can be refferred to a pain clinic as I think it's the only other step forward for me at the moment in terms of my pain as the doctor said if the 600 mg 3x a day doesn't work she's at a loss :( why us? why did we have to get this painful and difficult to understand syndrome/condition. I feel good knowing I could post on here and there's always someone willing to offer help and advice :) I wish you all strength and hope you all don't feel too bad.
Emma.
Kittykatz
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:16 am

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Emma :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment, finding that magical mix that makes the difference to you seems like an everlasting quest, with a number of things needing to be tried at varying dosages, and in numerous combinations over a suitable period of time. And when a dosage is changed, esp with something like Gabapentin, some additional time is needed for the increased dosage to build up in and your system. Whilst this may not be as long as needed when initially starting on Gabapentin, which can be anywhere from 1 to 3 months for some people, it still can take a number of weeks before benefits are felt, so you may well have to wait a little longer before any difference becomes noticeable. Plus some have found that Gabapentin has only become effective when their dosage has been increased a number of times, or has reached the max dosage that can be prescribed.

Also, with the majority of meds used to try and manage FM, what may help one may not make a difference to another, hence the need to try different ones in different dosages to find something that helps you. Whilst Gabapentin makes a difference to some, for others it can do absolutely nothing, which you may to be the case. In such situations, an alternative med, Pregabalin, may prove to be more helpful, so might be worth asking about if, after a suitable amount of time, Gabapentin doesn't seem to be working any magic for you.

As you've probably guessed by now, there could be a number of possibilities as to why you may not be feeling any benefit from what you currently have in your cocktail. Don't give up tho as there are often alternative meds in each type used to be tried and sometimes its not until a number of different things have been tried that you start finding what does make that difference.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication