Imipramine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Imipramine

Postby pj1943 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I went to the pain clinic today and one of the suggestions they made was to reduce my citalopram and give me imipramine along with it which should help with more pain relief. Has anyone else had any experience with imipramine? I would appreciate any help before I decide to agree to this.

pj1943
UKFM Member

Re: Imipramine

Postby Charmed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 pm

I was given Imipramine way back in the 80s, I cannot remember the strength, but it made me feel like a zombie :crazy:

For me, Citalopram helps lift my dark moods which are caused by the chronic pain, but it doesn't help my pain levels. I hope you get a few other replies to help you decide.

Gentle hugs xx
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 am

I have just had to Google "Imipramine" on the NHS website and it appears to be another anti-depressant so it's confused me as to why your Doctor is trying to prescribe to you. I've never taken it. I'm on Amitriptyline and it's what makes me sleep (just not tonight lol) but I don't think it helps my pain at help. Hopefully someone on here has been prescribed it. Good luck now :-) xx
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby jrules1fair » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 am

Hi imimaprine. Try to come ofg tramadol sooner rather than later as it is harder to come off it than morphine. I am on pregabalin, zomorph, amitryptiline and paracetamol. It works for me but you would need a dose of each to suit you. See your gp and try it
jrules1fair
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Just goes to show Citalopram was awful for me yet good for you, just didn't work.
All I say is see your doctor before you come off anything.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby pj1943 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks everybody for helpful comments. I also was on imipramine in the early 80's as I have clinical depression however my doc changed me to citalopram several years ago. The pain clinic explained that although they are both anti depressants citalopram only helps mood but imipramine works differently and has a pain reducing effect.
I'm waiting for appointment to go and see what they have decided so if anyone is interested I will post eventual results here. :-) :-)
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:41 pm

The older antidepressants like Imipramine and Amitriptyline are supposed to help with chronic pain due to the way they alter more chemicals in the brain. The newer ones like Citalopram generally only effect Serotonin levels which doesn't have as good an impact on pain.

The problem is you often can't mix the newer and older drugs together which is why they want to reduce your Citalopram first. But on the plus side Imipramine is a good antidepressant too, so if you can tolerate the side-effects you might get benefits in pain and mood.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication