[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - there goes the gabapentin

there goes the gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

there goes the gabapentin

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 am

well folks as you may or may not know I was started on gabapentin recently (start of September). this was, in my GP's words, the last one I could try (having tried and failed with everything else).

at first I thought it might work cos unlike any other medications I'd tried it didn't turn me into a zombie, but then it didn't help with the pain either. even though I'd gone up to 900mg per day.

but in the last couple of weeks or so I've started getting side effects from it. fuzzy-headed feeling, blurred vision, heart racing / irregular, and terrible panic attacks the like of which I haven't had for many, many years. :shock: and I swear my memory was getting worse.

so I've talked to my GP yesterday and I'm going to start coming off it, reducing by 100mg per day.

I guess I'm just not cut out for medication, or certainly not for the side effects anyway. :roll:

so it's back to the occasional co-codamol for me.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: there goes the gabapentin

Postby MilYvieMum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 am

It's a long shot, but, what about Pregablin? It's a sister medication to Gabapentin but in some people seems to work better. Xx
MilYvieMum
UKFM Member

Postby Biggles57 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:03 am

I changed to pregabalin 300 mg twice a day from gabapentin 600 mg 4 times a day , I also take 30mg lontech (oxycodone) twice a day and baclofen 10 mg three times a day (for muscle spasm ) but the best medication I've found by far is .2gm of cannabis in a vapourizer 3-4 times a day I know it's illegal but before you tut let me tell you it is the only thing that is truly effective for the pain and spasm , the sad bit is that if I had ms and lived in wales I could be prescribed , N.I.C.E. say it is too expensive , and the government still maintain it has no medicinal value despite over 20.000 medical studies that say otherwise , when will the British government wake up , as Bob Marley said how long do we have to suffer , I hope you do find something that works soon
Biggles57
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Ooh that's interesting. Although not good for you. I'm on Gaba too, started a few weeks ago. So far it's not given me all the uber horrible side effects of the others, so I've stuck with it. Trying to stay on the lowest dose (3x300) per day, it doesn't eliminate the pain but takes the edge off, which is as much as I think I can hope for without all the side effects of a higher dose. I did take a bit more when on holiday and that did b*gger all!

However, I've had a couple of really bad headaches recently, and now I'm hoping I won't end up with side effects from it like you have!

Dazzle, what else have you tried?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Pregabalin is described by some as a cleaner, more effective version of Gabapentin, and can be effective for those who have found the Gabas to be of little or no help, so might be worth asking your GP about its suitability for you.

Like Gabapentin, Pregabalin builds up in the system as the dosage is increased, so can take a while for benefits to be felt. The time scale for this is similar to that for Gabapentin, for some it could be a month or so, for others it could be up to 12 weeks for any differences to be noticeable.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jrules1fair » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi gabapentin wasn't any good for me i had to go on pregabalin its better than gabapentin and is working pretty much for me ask your gp for it if he wont give it to you ask to be referred to a pain management clinic thats how i got mine good luck xx
jrules1fair
UKFM Member

Postby jrules1fair » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi to the person who is taking pregabalin and oxycodone. It is in the paperwork with pregabalin that you cannot take it with oxycodone so please please double check if it is safe for you to take both together so please be careful
jrules1fair
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:47 pm

hi thanks for all replies

pregablin is one I've already tried - earlier this year - and it zombified me very quickly (within a week) :shock: . GP told me to come off it straight away. I would not touch it again with a barge pole.

the medications I've tried so far are (in order of trying them):
amitriptilene (gave me a very dry mouth, didn't help with sleep or pain)
nortriptilene (same problems as amitriptilene)
tramadol (turned me into a half-zombie)
pregablin
gabapentin

oh, and I can't take ibuprofen / aspirin / NSAIDS as I am allergic to aspirin. :roll:

so as you can see, no wonder my GP said gabapentin was my last resort.

I genuinely, honestly do not know how those of you who take the above medications manage to function - you must have bodies of steel :-| 8-) . but I guess everyone's different, and I am just uber-sensitive to these medications.

I've resigned myself to having to put up with the pain and the occasional co-codamol (and I can only take one of those at a time, not the 'usual' dose of 2 otherwise I'd be zoinked out :roll: ) because for me, the side effects of these medications are more trouble than they're worth.

I'm not saying my pain doesn't get bad - it does, it has me in tears on a regular basis. but if it's a choice of being in pain and still being able to work / drive etc or be so zombified that I can't function, I'll take the first option.

your mileage may vary though, as they say :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 am

Hi, sorry nothing is working. I too have the same issue with meds. I've just started on gabapentin, I'm on week four of weening on to it 100mg at a time spread over three doses, I start on an eve dose of 200mg tomorrow. I too am starting to get the negative side affects.
When someone finds something that works please share... Oh and cannabis makes me sick!
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 am

hi Lisa

sorry to hear you have the same problem with medications. it's awful, isn't it. :hugs:

I too went up gradually to the 900mg per day dose as you said, 100mg per day.

the other thing that annoys me about not being able to take any medication is the assumption from people that because I'm not on any regular medication then I can't be very ill / in pain. :evil: they don't think about not being able to tolerate any medication. if I ever get around to applying for a blue badge I worry that it will go against me there, because I don't have a big long list of tablets I take.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby sara_elizabeth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:52 am

:cry:

There are other fibro medications...what about Duloxetine? Topiramate? I don't want to list meds you haven't tried to put you through misery but you haven't exhausted the list...I don't know if suggesting these is okay?
I have loved to the point of madness, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love
sara_elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby sara_elizabeth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:52 am

:cry:

There are other fibro medications...what about Duloxetine? Topiramate? I don't want to list meds you haven't tried to put you through misery but you haven't exhausted the list...I don't know if suggesting these is okay?
I have loved to the point of madness, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love
sara_elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 am

hi sara_elizabeth

thanks for the info. my GP hasn't mentioned those ones but I'm not sure at the moment that I want to give them a try.

I've now stopped the gabapentin and all I can say is that I feel like I've come out of a fog. my brain is less fuzzy and I feel more aware and alert. :-) so in all honesty I'm reluctant to go back on anything right now.

as I've said before don't get me wrong I'm still in a lot of pain, but somehow I can cope with that. it's the side-effects of medication that I struggle with, and as I work full time and drive I can't afford to be adversely affected by taking tablets. :-?

it's worth you mentioning these things though in case they're useful for anyone else :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Dazzle the fact that you can't take medication to me would be a bigger reason to give you a blue badge.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication