[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Moving from Tramadol to ??????

Moving from Tramadol to ??????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Moving from Tramadol to ??????

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Me Again,

I would like to ask all of you what would you recommend for pain control when Tramadol is no longer any use. I will, hopefully, be having a medication review shortly, and I would like to throw out some ideas that can be considered and discussed with the doctor, along with any research I can have by that time regarding each one and possible interactions with the other medications I am taking.

Just a quick note of what you have tried and found to be effective would be an awesome help.

Thanks again. :hugs:

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Moving from Tramadol to ??????

Postby Becs531 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 pm

Unfortunately Tramadol just made me groggy, so I was put on Naproxen, which just made me feel queasy so I am currently stuck with co-codomol & amitriptyline. Ineffective against the pain but takes the very edge off.
I am hoping to find something more effective too. Good luck at your meds review, xx
Becs531
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi I find Gabapentin good and have no side effects from it. I used to take tramadol naproxen and amitryptilene. Now only use tramadol or co codamol if absolutely have to!
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Tramadol didn't work for me (if you're a 'fast metabolizer' you basically just pee it out) so I got put on Acupan (nefopam) to go along with my co-codomol 30/500. The combo seems to work quite well - though I'm having a 'good' spell at the moment & might have to see about something else for bad times...

Did Tramadol lose it's effectiveness over time or has it always not worked?
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:01 am

Chickenosaurus, the Tramadol was initial very effective, but I would be completely knocked out by it. Now I am fully awake no matter whether I take one, or have had the maximum dose through-out the day, and the pain bleeds through after about 30 mins after it has stopped, or it doesn't do anything at all. Yesterday 100mg didn't even nip at the pain unfortunately.

I cannot take anything with codeine in it as I blow up like a balloon and the doctor is afraid one day that might also include my throat...not a good thing. I have heard about Gabapentin, but I am not sure how it works. I might look into that one a little closer as it seems many of you out there use it effectively.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Have you tried taking paracetamol alongside the Tramadol??? If not, and it is suitable for you to take, it might be worth trying as there is something about paracetamol which can boost the efficiency of Tramadol.

Gabapentin is originally an anti~convulsant med which has also been found to help with pain issues. It is thought that it works by calming the electrical hyperactivity in the brain which is responsible for sending the pain signals around the body. For some it can be very effective, for others tho, it can do absolutely nothing, which is something to bear in mind. It also needs time to build up in your system to fully take effect. This can be anywhere from 1 to 3 months, all depending on the individual. Over this time, the dosage tends to be increased gradually until the max possible or prescribed dosage is reached.

Like all meds, there are the chances of side effects. One of the most often reported ones on here is weight gain, altho it doesn't affect everyone in this way. The amount of weight gained depends on the individual, with it being a few pounds for some all the way thru to a number of stones being gained.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Monty99 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:06 pm

I moved from them a while ago and Im on Tapentadol which is from the Tramadol family. They also do a slow release Tapentadol which I take in addition in the morning and at bedtime. This releases pain medication over time and really helps which the morning pain…..worth a try!
Monty99
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication