[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tramadol and duloxetine/amitriptyline

Tramadol and duloxetine/amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tramadol and duloxetine/amitriptyline

Postby Eggcustard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am newly diagnosed with fibro. I have had chronic neuropathic pain for nearly four years and fibro symptoms for approx two years. I also have endo which is under control at the moment.

I am currently taking tramadol 8 a day, amitriptyline 10mg at night and cocodamol.

I need to try some different meds as I can't sleep at night because of the neuropathic pain.

I have been prescribed lyrica (although I tried it two years ago and stopped because of the side effects). I have also been asked to increase amitriptyline gradually to see if that helps. Due to seratonin syndrome risk the pain consultant said if I increase the amitriptyline I should lower the tramadol does, but this is the only thing that helps. If the amitriptyline takes time to build up and work and I have to decrease the tramadol when I start it I will have a good month at least with lots of added pain. I have a 7 year old to look after and it's nearly christmas!

So I a have done some research and duloxetine sound good, but again I think I would have the same problem with seratonin syndrome.

I have read that tramadol/anti depressant use is quite common with fibro and wondered if anyone else takes the full does of tramadol and one of the anti depressants at the same time.

I am confused because the rheumy said take whatever you need to to get moving, 8 tramadol and upto 50mg amitriptyline. The pain consultant said reduce tramadol to 4/5 a day and increase amitriptyline gradually to 50mg but if I find the pain too difficult (which I will) I can increase the tramadol back up (didn't say a dosage for this). I feel like he is just covering his back in case there are any bad effects.

So sorry this has been a very long post but my GP if fairly useless and I have found from my experience with endometriosis it's best to ask the people who have been there. Thanks xx
Eggcustard
UKFM Newbie

Re: Tramadol and duloxetine/amitriptyline

Postby Dj 73 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi, I've been diagnosed just over a year but suffered for longer, at the moment I take 8 50mg tramadol, 8 paracetamol and 50mg amitriptyline at night. I started taking 10mg and increased it till I was sleeping and not waking with pain like I were before. No doctor has asked me to reduce my tramadol when upping the amitriptyline. Like you, tramadol works for me.

Hope this helps :-)
Dj 73
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Are you on prolonged release Tramadol? I take 100 mg twice a day on a good day & 200 mg on a bad day with extra paracetamol. I had 50 mg tablets & took the highest dose but did nothing. Only the prolonged release tabs have worked for me. I was told that Tramadol doesn't mix well with codeine so I'm surprised to read that you take them as well. I'm on 75 mg Amitriptyline and has been the only thing that's helped me sleep but never told to reduce my painkillers. Again Pregablin is the only thing that's really helped me. I do get horrible side effects because of the combination but I'd rather that than not being able to move properly particularly in regards to flexibility. We are all different though so I hope you find the right combination for you. Take care now.
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi I have been diagnosed for a just under a year and the best combination I had was

Paracetamol 500mg four times a day
Tramadol 50mg four times a day
Gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day
Amitriptyline 125mg at night

2 weeks ago we tried coming off Gabapentin to try ibuprofen 400mg with omeprazole but I actually am in more pain so am going to ask to go back or add Gabapentin.

I found the build up of Amitriptyline helped at night otherwise I am in absolute agony and this was done on a monthly basis

Speak to your GP and Pain Consultant but everyone is different and to get right combination takes a lot of time

Hope you find right one soon as we all know how painful it is

Robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby CaroleAnn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi i was diagnosed 2 years ago and have been on most of the tablets you could try out!!

I am on Duloxetine 75mg morning
With gabapentin 1800mg per day (2x600mg) 3 times per day
Ive been on these since i was diagnosed then tried Lyrica which did nothing for me so back to Gab...
I also take Tramadol 150mg 1x3 times a day
And Amitriptyline 50mg at night
I also take a steroid for a bowel problem (colitis)

Even taking all these i am still in pain (neuropathic) and flares with my bowel problem.
Speak to your Doc or Rheumy as we are all different its just trying to get the right pill etc

Hope you are well x
CaroleAnn
UKFM Newbie

Postby hillie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:14 pm

I took Amitriptyline fairly recently and got up to 50mg however, I personally don't recommend going above 30mg. I had very dry mouth and extremely dry throat, unlike anything I had ever experienced. In fact, it became so bad that it kept causing me to choke on nothing and I very nearly list consciousness the last day I took 50mg... Thankfully because of some very quick thinking I am still here to tell the tale but it was extremely frightening. I was also taking fluoxetine. I am now weaned off both and am taking duloxetine. Have been on this for month and half and so far so good. I have never taken pain killers other than paracetamol as I have chosen not to go down that route. The duloxetine does help with the numbness in my legs which I am happy with. As for the pain, I have learnt to live with it
hillie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Marzena025 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello. He writes for the first time for you.
5 years struggling with the pain.
Biore cocodmol, amitriptyline and thanks to her I can finally sleep.
Clinic Btlam how to deal with the pain and it is a circus.
The doctor told that I have to learn to live with pain.
Slowly my liver sits on drugs.
Now I got diazepan and I go to the drink.
My life has changed so much.
I'm still depressed mood.
I do not know what to do.
I greet you.
Marzena.
I'm sorry but poorly written English.
Marzena025
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cjalex » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm on 40 mg amateiptaline and slow release tramadol and the 30/500 Co Cocodomol ask to up ur dose of amateiptaline xx
Cjalex
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:22 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby heather67 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 am

Hi I take 75mg amytrypaline and 8 tramodol a day plus gabapenntine x
heather67
UKFM Newbie

Postby millysue » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:41 am

I have been diagnosed with FM for five years. Recently my GP changed my meds from Cocodomol 500/30 to Tramadol. (8 a day) I also take Duloxetine. and Gabapentine. My pain is slightly better, BUT I still cant sleep at night.
millysue
UKFM Newbie

Postby lillibet » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:42 am

I am on Tramadol,it doesn't work for me,I've had morphine patches, fentanyl patches, I'm on pregabalin & duloetine but still in constant pain, anyone got any suggestions I could go to my drs with :(
lillibet
UKFM Newbie

Postby Eggcustard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Firstly, thanks you so, so much for all of your replies. It helps just to know there are others out there who know how I am feeling :-) .

I am going to go in to see my GP and discuss it with him, if I can get an appointment! It's confusing when different medical professionals tell you different things, but I'm sure most of you have been there. Having endo has meant I am quite sceptical sometimes when I speak to medical people because I had so much misinformation about it and basically had to find my own consultants, have my own tests done and do lots of research to get to the point I have now with it. Some consultants said to me then that having a hysterectomy was the wrong thing to do and even though it's not a cure I weighed up the pros and cons and believed it was the best option for me so. Consultants certainly don't like it if you question them and I mostly feel they have decided what they are going to say before you even enter the room.

At least with endo I eventually found a consultant who was an expert in it but with fibro I'm not sure they exist. Are there such things as fibro experts? My rheumatologist who diagnosed me actually diagnosed "chronic pain syndrome" (chronic sensitisation) and didn't mention fibro until well into the appointment.

The pain consultant said I am not giving my natural endorphins chance to kick in and that plus the seratonin syndrome is why I should reduce the tramadol. Surely if natural endorphins were enough no-one would need. Pain meds!! Has anyone else even been told this??

Thanks for you support xx
Eggcustard
UKFM Newbie

Postby debs67 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:53 pm

I take
tramadol
naproxen
duloxetine
paracetamol.
I find having tried amitriptyline/gabapentine and others mentioned duloxetine better for me. I have had my dosage upped on the duluxetine
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Pye266 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:08 pm

duloxetine has to be the worst tablet i was ever put on, The side effects are awful, Well for me anyway (Male) not sure about woman. They fry your head, f-up your sex life, I found no benefit being on them.... :nono:

amitriptyline - another awful tablet , Impossible to waken the next day.... :lol: :lol:

I'm on one now called Vensir XL, And have found it pretty good, Well for mood anyway. Not as tired with it either... ;-)
Pye266
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication