[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Medication?

Medication?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medication?

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Most of the medications I have tried have helped for a little while some days better than others. But I have now got to thinking are they actually helping at all or is the pain fluctuation just the way the condition is manifesting :dunno: :dunno:

With a head full of cotton wool decisions are difficult and although I think lets try without any meds I reluctant in case the pain really escalates. Has anyone any thoughts or tried stopping with no real difference ? I would not just stop without GP's say so. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Medication?

Postby paindoctor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:44 pm

I have taken the odd day off meds to give myself a rest from them , I take co-codamol 30/500mg x2 three times a day, amitriptyline up to 50mg a night ,400mg ibuprofen three times a day and have done for many a year . When I feel the need to rest up I make sure theres nothing on for a week or two as when I stop, it kickstarts a flare up which lasts between a day or two ,up to a couple of weeks and have seen over a month in very bad pain which I cant even sit down without excruciating pain , I do have osteoarthritis as well as FB so it could be different for you but be aware it can be very painful :(
paindoctor
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I've never taken any so I can't tell you, but I think we have a couple of people who have come off meds in the past. Someone helpful will probably be along shortly
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:02 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm

I didn't think the Amit was helping til I had to come off it - pain was like a ton of bricks! So yes I think they are helping, and not just in a placebo way as I'm sure some people think. There's a reason they're called "painkillers" after all!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:41 pm

I guess the thing is that everyone's different, and while for some the medication is absolutely essential, for others it may be that you can manage on a reduced or even stopped dose.

I think it's a healthy thing to question whether you still need your medication when you're feeling the way you are.. but the only way to find out for sure is to maybe stop them for a while (after consultation with your GP of course 8-) ).

there can only be three possible outcomes:
1. you get worse after stopping so it turns out you did need the medication after all but just didn't realise how much it was helping you
2. you stay the same in which case there's probably no point going back on the medication if it's not having any effect
3. you start to feel better cos you're not suffering side effects anymore

obviously no one can say for certain what will happen, other than it will be one of the above :-)

good luck with your decision, my personal opinion is that you should at least give it a go, what have you got to lose?

:hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Duirra » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Upon being diagnosed over fifteen years ago I was informed that pain killers don't work on chronic pain. This was the reason for not prescribing any at the time. However, later doctors did prescribe some and I went off them with disastrous effects. I kept being sure they weren't making a difference, not taking them one day, and within hours of not taking them I would be in screaming pain. After months of this I was finally told that the pain killers prescribed were highly addictive. The pain was being caused by withdrawal. Going off them slowly with guidance from a doctor eventually got me off of them with out the pain. Once I was off I felt the same as I had on the meds. They really hadn't made a difference. Since then, I've always been very careful about what kind of painkillers I take and really, I don't take any, unless I have an injury.

Before you stop, I would definitely talk to your doctor to find out if it's even safe to go off of them suddenly.
Duirra
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi dotty lotty,

I am on the magical Tramadol, and for one day I decided to only take if I was beyond help. That night in bed my skin hurt so bad I couldn't have the sheet cover my legs. I lay naked on the bed...not a pretty sight for those that know me :shock: ....and just groaned in agony. I tell you this as my doctor asked, literally a couple of days later, whether I had ever tried taking a time out from the pain killers. I do know, some wonderful soul on this forum informed me, that if I add paracetamol to my routine it will boost the Tramadol, because, like you, I think my pain is out growing the medication. I have been on 200mg since October 2012 when I suffered a "Band Migraine"...this is when it feels like a metal band is wrapped around your head and slowly tightening...not fun, but the Tramadol does help, because obviously without it I am a basket case.

Soft hugs and best wishes :hugs:

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I am still on gabapentin which really helped over the 1st 6/12 then plateaued out and yes I am scared that it will be back to crawling out of bed if I decide against it.

So after reading replies think I will stick with the status quo of gabapentin, paracetamol and oromorph when needed.

Think I was just having a wobble and probably forgetting how severe the pain was pre gabapentin. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Gingermama » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm newly diagnosed and just started taking gabapentin. How have people got on with it? So far the brain fog and fatigue seem better ( I literally started 2 days ago) but I seem to be in more pain then I was when walking. Yesterday I made myself really ill by going shopping in tescos with my little one. Today I have done much less, just the school run, took little one to Drs in car, a bit of shopping in the little tescos next door while waiting for his prescription and then a little housework before going to the school again which isn't far at all, literally round the corner. I was in agony and my legs feel so awful, shaky sore and the fatigue is setting in.

I'm going to persevere but just interest to see what your experiences of it is...
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:04 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 am

I reduced my gabapentin only for the pain to come back as bad as ever.

For me the combo of gabapentin and cocodamal is working well.

I'm hoping it's not something I will get addicted to. Although I don't know how I could tell. I'm already taking up to 8 cocodamal a day and know I can't increase them.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Gingermama » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi Theresa

I'm on 300mg 3 times a day and the pain is getting worse everyday. I don't think I'm doing any more than usual but OMG my legs are hurting so badly today. I took my boys to school as usual this morning but my leg just seemed to give up on the way home. I had to shuffle my way back to the house before driving to work.

Am now sat at home with a hot water bottle trying to figure out what to do. I just feel defeated today. I usually bake on a Friday for my local market but have had to phone the manager to say I can't do it. I've never done this before so feeling pretty down.

Tried to ring my gp yesterday but he's on holiday.

I feel like all my muscles are really tense and I can't relax them.

advice please x
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:59 pm

I get leg pain too. Sometimes its the sciatica or muscle pain in my thighs. Not sure what to suggest. I know that resting too much can make you feel worse so try to move when you can. My stiffness tends to ease once I start moving. You can also get a heated under blanket, epsom salt baths and general painkillers taken regularly. Its all a juggle I know, but I'm hoping to find a way to live better. I've recently started taking vitamin C and b complex vitamins. I read that is you're low in b vitamins you can get a lot of pain and tingly feelings. Hopefully it will help me!
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:08 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication