Put on Fluoxetine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Put on Fluoxetine

Postby bouncer0304 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:45 pm

I've come off pregabalin as they were causing me to be depressed (which is still lingering a little but compared to how i was i'm a different person), put on weight, feeling sick and just being snappy (my doc could see just how much i'd changed!) which is annoying since now i've come off them i realise they were helping with pain in my back, arms and shoulders. However, the side effects were making me go loopy so they had to go. I've now been put on Fluoxetine and have no idea what they're like. Anyone have experience with these? I'm waiting for a few days to get the pregabalin out of my system as i know they can't be taken together but how does it help others with pains and tiredness? My doctor wants to see me in a few weeks as he's concerned and wants to see how these go with me. I'll be on 20mg a day to start but i'm worried once again i'll be back to square one....
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Re: Put on Fluoxetine

Postby debbiealison » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:10 pm

hello bouncer,
I take both, the fluoxetine is an anti depressant.
debbiealison
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:15 pm

I was on fluoxetine for several years. I found it very helpful, it also helped with the fibromyalgia pain as well as depression, which was an added bonus!
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby emsie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Hey, I am on both fluoxetine and pregabalin. One for depression and one for pain, I go back in a week to see how it is going. Good luck x
emsie
UKFM Newbie

Postby diane1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi
ive been on both for about 6 years. I had to reduce the pregabalin because of side effects on the higher dose but the lower dose helps. The fluoxoteine was given to me initially as a muscle relaxant but I have found that it helps with my mood as well. I do take lots of other meds as well. I will try anything that might relieve the pain.
I hope it helps you but if not go back to the gp as theres lots off other drugs.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby bouncer0304 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 pm

When he told me i was surprised but he said it could help. He also said he didn't want me to be on both of those together but then again after what happened with the pregabalin i don't blame him. I'm willing to try different things if they can help. The last time i got really tearful on meds was when i was put on the mini pill to help certain stuff but that made me go loopy so that was that. I'm off the pregabalin now completely and while i still feel a little teary, it's nothing compared to last week :O As soon as it leaves completely then i think that'll go too. I'll start these on Friday and just hope they work.
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:00 am

bouncer0304, I'm surprised the doctor is putting you on Fluoxetine rather than Duloxetine. They are both anit-depressants, one SRRI the other an SNRI, but Duloxetine is known for reducing pain and tends to be the go to under NHS guidance for Fibro. I have had both, but neither SRRI's or SNRI's agree with me, but then I am exceptionally senstive to meds.

Since I do have clinical depression, I take Lofepramine, only one I settled on, but it interects with a lot of other meds and I cant get Amitriptyline with it, similar family of drugs seemingly.

The fluxoetine takes a little while to take effect regarding mood benefit and your starting on a low dose. Trust me you'll know if it does not agree with you, just as you did with your pregabalin.

I declined Pregabalin when diaginosed as I had it in my past and it did not agree in a big way, so they changed my Lofepramine to Duloxetine,to help my pain and manage my depression, but I'm seriously allergic to SNRI's. What I can say is it really helped the pain and quickly too. When I came off it and went back to my Lofepramine the old pain returned, but for me the allergy was to extreme to suffer staying on Duloxetine.

If you find Fluoxetine helpful great, thats all we can hope for, but if not, you can always raise the option of trying the SNRI Duloxetine.

There is one thing for sure, there's always options out there. Its just finding what suits you, we're all different.

Hope this is of some help
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication