Can somebody help please

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can somebody help please

Postby dolphintara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:43 am

hi

I was wondering if someone could help please , went back to doctors again he has up my gabapentin to 900mg 4 times a day is any 1 else on these and if so please tell me how you get on with them , my pain is stupid , the doctor said next is morphine ,

thank you
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Re: Can somebody help please

Postby denys » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi dolphintara I have split your post off from the topic you had originally posted in. I think it might have got lost in the other board and hopefully more people will see it if it is on its own as a new topic :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Patsb » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 pm

I was on 900 mg gabapentin 3 times a day it made no difference whatsoever to my pain. He offered morphine patches but I decided to stick with co codamol.
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:04 pm

I am on gabapentin, I take 300mg, two first thing in the morning to try and help the pain and stiffness, and two at night to try and ease the pain and help me sleep. During the day I usually find I can distract myself enough not to need them.

Recently I have been told by two medical people and a lot of people at a support group that it does not help with the pain, which is a bit bewildering because I think it does! I know I would be much worse if I don't take it. I would like to try something else though because it doesn't help that much with the pain and doesn't help me sleep, and I am really suffering with lack of sleep.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dejay » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I take gabapentin 300mgthree times a day with two solpadol 30mg/500mg then at night I take Amitriptyline 50mg, 0n the whole that is ok for what I call my every day pain, then when things get bad I have got Zomorph which is a slow release morphine, I do try not to take the morphine,as i am bothered about addiction or side effects but my dr tells me not to be a marter to my pain,This is ok for me at present but might not be ok for others,So I hope you can find an answer to your pain, it took me a long time to find this mix but I wonder if drs are better at trying to solve the Fibro pain than they used to be. lol
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby Ren22 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:38 pm

I went up to the highest dose and it didn't work just made me put on weight, I'm now on pregabalin which also is not working. I'm off to the doctors Saturday to try the ext thing, if you are anything like me you will still need to take strong painkillers at night, Sorry couldn't give you a positive response but these medications are for other illnesses xx
Ren22
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm another one for whom gabapentin did nothing to help. all it did was give me bad side effects.

the problem is though that everyone is different - as you can tell from the responses to your question :-)

for some it will work, for others not. I guess all you can do is try it.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Oh yes forgot to say I don't get any side effects - at least, I don't think I do :crazy: :mrgreen: I had weight gain on Amit, Nort and Naproxen, also really bad constipation and an 'out of it' feeling in the morning even taking it at 5pm with the first two! So side effects can vary greatly as dazzler says.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dolphintara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:18 pm

hi

just want to say a big thank you for your comments , I know ever one is different , but im ready to give up had enough now , im on anti depression tablets they have been up 2 , im trying to not to give up , but my family is suffering to as im in so much pain and tired im not spending time with them , as I like to go bed early as I don't sleep , I was up at 1,30 this morning
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Please do not give up, there will be an answer that will help I have had fibro for a long long time, and its only recently I have found,with the help of my doctor, the combination that is better for me,as i said in my last post, so try to keep talking to your doctor and I found seeing the same one helped me,I know this is hard to do in some surgeries, but I hope you will keep going untill you can find the meds that will be right for you, I tried a lot of different ones so please hang in there till you find the ones for you lol
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm on 100mg 3 x a day. They do help me. I'm also on Amitriptyline at night. For the first week in gab I was on it once a day and I had bad headaches, of which I was warned about. But they went away :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi,
I was on Gaberpentin, but my pain doctor changed me to pregablin, best thing she ever did, I was so fuzzy on Gaberpentin, just felt away with the fairies!!
Pregablin works for me and given me back my mind!

Hope that helps. Good Luck and give it a go for a whole, I find it takes time for my body to adjust to new meds.(((Gentle hugs)))
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 am

Ask your Dr about Duloxetine it isn't licensed for Fibro yet but it is the only thing that has given me any relief.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 pm

im on gabapentin was on it b4 but came off it due to side effect affected my bowels and didn't help with pain or sleep. Gp has now put me back on them 1 3 times a day but went back yesterday and she is upping them to 1st week 4 a day 2nd week 5 a day and 3rd week 6 a day to see if it will help and hopefully the side effects wont increase. they give irritate my ibs diarrhoea then constipation bad wind. soiled my self twice last week because of it not nice. if it gets worse I will come off them again. they do seem to have calmed the rsl down a bit but still get it but not so severe. Then again gp thinks its the gabapentin but I think it is just how my rls is some weeks its really bad others its not so not convinced its the meds. like everyone has said it works differently for everyone so give it a try and see. also side effects cant get up in the morning and wired at night so cant sleep. first time I was on them was wired for 4 days and didn't sleep hardly but not so bad this time.
hazely
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication