what to expect

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what to expect

Postby haywire » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi all, looking for advice. I got my first appointment with the physio early next year, and I was wondering what to expect when I get there? I'm a bit apprehensive about it, I seem to get 2 types of day, either the meds are working ok for me and I'm near normal or the pain is too much for the meds and I pretty much can't do anything let alone any type of exercise. I'm worried they will either think that I'm fine or totally uncooperative depending on the day.
haywire
UKFM Member

Re: what to expect

Postby hazely » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I wouldn't worry too much I went for physio on my neck first appointment felt fine but had bad back and could hardly move. she was fine and was gentle with physio as they know and understand that if they did it harder we would be on the ceiling in pain. next week I went back and my neck was painful on the other side instead. she was very helpful and given me advice on acupressure that I can do myself and advice on my walking sticks which are causing the neck pain on the other side.

they are very understanding and realise that fibro is variable. good luck and hope it helps and doesn't hurt too much
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby katherine244 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Of course, "they" are very understanding could be a sweeping generalisation!! Last physio I saw gave me his own version of 'it's all in your head' so I'll be giving them a wide berth in future....
katherine244
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Love,

Don't know if this helps, but I was referred to physio by my GP. She used to find my tender points and press on them for a couple of minutes, not too bad, and she also did some acupuncture on me, I used to fall asleep !!! I don't think they will expect you to jump through hoops and will discuss a gentle exercise programme with you. Feel for the last comment, no one has the right to tell you it's all in your head, should be reported, what a cheek !!

Good luck , take care xx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:30 am

I had a lovely physio who was concerned about me when she was with me and after a major fall they got me stood up straight (er) and walking in a more normal gait. As for pain be honest with how bad it is and where is it when you go so they can assess you properly.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication