[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gaberpentin dose advice.

Gaberpentin dose advice.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gaberpentin dose advice.

Postby tintagel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi All,
My GP has just started me on gabapentin, due to an ongoing 6 month flare, with a whole heap of new widespread problems and severe pain. I tried lyrica once before, but couldn't take the side effects. It affected my vision really badly. Hence he's trying the gab this time. He said he would start me off on a small dose. I'm currently taking 200mg a day and it has had no effect at all. I'm panicking now, thinking it doesn't work and I've got 20 years or more like this and/or worse.
Could any of you knowledgeable, more experienced members tell me if this is a really small dose? and should I expect to see an improvement on 200mg a day.
Many Thanks.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Re: Gaberpentin dose advice.

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:28 pm

I'm on Gaby (shortened cos I can never spell the full version!).

I take 2x300mg, twice a day. It took a bit of chopping and changing to work out that I need to take a whammy in the morning to get moving, and some at night to take the edge off so I can sleep (ish). My pain clinic suggested I take it that way rather than spread the dose out during the day, as mostly I can use distraction techniques during the day and avoid the need for painkillers.

Tbh I don't find Gaby that great, but it varies so much for each person that someone else will come along and say it's wonderful! So it's a matter of experimentation.

Btw it takes at least a few weeks to get used to a new drug, so don't panic just yet. I've been on it since early October, so you really need to give it time to work. How long have you been taking it for?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby alaster61 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi i to take gabapentin used to take 3 x 300g but found it made me to drowsy as i drive an HGV had to cut it back to 2 x 300g one in the morning n one at night
alaster61
UKFM Newbie

Postby clubsound4 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi, I was started on a low dose which gradually increased to 300mg 3 times a day and now I am on 600mg 3 times a day,plus Tramadol and paracetamol, I would ask ur GP or whoever prescribed it to p your dose xxx
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:14 pm

As Zia has said, Gabapentin does need time to get into your system and build up. For some this can take around a month to six weeks. For others tho, it can take up to 3 months for any benefits to be felt. The dosage does tend to be steadily increased as well, over a suitable period of time, so it might be worth talking to your GP.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lizashfield » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:11 pm

I am gradually coming off Gaberpentin as it did not do much for me. My rheumatologist wanted me to increase Amitryptiline instead. However, I have read posts from others who find the Gaby very useful. Good luck - after all it's got to be worth a try.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm

I've been on gabapentin 100mg 3 x a day to go alongside my amitriptline of which I am on once a day at 25mg. The first week I started on once a day of gaby bug when I increased I had headaches which my rheumy had pre warned me about. The headaches only lasted a week before I was ok again. I would say its really helping me a lot x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby lynlyn1212 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 pm

I have been taking gabapentin for about 2 years now. Started on 200mg 3 times per day. Gradually increased to 600 3 times but recently have been only taking morning and evening. Really helps. Also take amitriptyline 25mg and solpadol. If I reduce gabapentin I end up taking more solpadol.
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby KarmaNicola » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:41 am

Im on Gabapentin, i take 300mg 3x a day and 900mg at night, im also on, Tramadol, Naproxen and Morphine. Talk to your GP and tell them you need a dose increase cos its not working,
KarmaNicola
UKFM Newbie

Postby Siouxiem » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 am

I am on 600mg three times a day, plus tramadol, co-codamol and co-didramol - not all at the same time, it depends on the severity of the extra pain. The Gabapentin works for me, but it does take a few weeks to bbuild up in your system, and doesn't agree with everyone. Just keep in close contact with your GP and discuss any changes with him, or if you feel it really isn't working for you. Never give up - there will be something out there that works for you.
Siouxiem
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:43 am

at the risk of sounding negative (but just wanting to give a balanced view) gabapentin did nothing for me and just gave me bad side effects.

doesn't mean it will for you though - everyone is different when it comes to medication.

good luck and I hope you find something that helps. consider a TENS machine if you haven't already - I find that a lot more helpful than medications.

but your mileage may vary :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby pedaller » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm on gaba 2 x 300 mg 3 times aday but ican up this 3 x 300mg. it though make me drowsy. I also take co-dydramol 1 X 3 times aday 10/500mg but I can tritrate this aswell up 8 a day. You need t ocheck with your gp to see if you can have additional pain killers. I use paracetamol when the pain is less inzxtead of co dydramol.
pedaller
UKFM Newbie

Postby tintagel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I returned to my GP today and he has told me to titrate up to 900mg gaberpentin a day. I am really hoping this helps my pain.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Postby snarffsplat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm on 4 X 30 0mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and 100mg tramadolescent 3 times a day as well as paracetamol and bruffen they did put me on amatrypraline but can't take it even the lowest dose so being put on to noratryptraline (sp). They are just the pain meds which don't work also on beta blockers for migraine. A who heap ofor gastric meds and meds for the blood the memory and fatigue. Don't you just love the illness people x
snarffsplat
UKFM Newbie

Postby debs67 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

I was on gaby for nearly a year , found it wasnt helping that much. Was put on duluxotine is helping me a bit more with pain .
debs67
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication