Nortriptyline dosage?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Nortriptyline dosage?

Postby Genevieve489 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I've had trochanteric bursitis for a year and also have osteoarthritis in my hands, knees and feet. All my blood tests were clear, but I do have tender spots when pressed. I often feel flue-y as well, with aching muscles. I'm not very keen on taking medication and have managed with 25mg of Nortriptyline for the past month, as well as Paracetamol, even though some nights haven't been great.

Now I've been told to up it to 50mg and my GP said this was what most people with Fibromyalgia are on. I take it from that comment that he believes I have Fibromyalgia. I also have IBS. I'll be seeing him again in a month so will ask him for a straightforward diagnosis then. I just wondered what medication others are on, particularly what dosage of Nortriptyline.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Nortriptyline dosage?

Postby Kayleigh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

I'm on Gabapentin 900mg a day and it still does nothing for me. I have been told if this doesn't work soon I will be going on Pregablin. Never been on the one you are in though sorry. Only other one I tried was Amitryptaline.
Kayleigh
UKFM Member

Postby Cjalex » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm on amateiptaline 50 mg sorry couldn't help zx
Cjalex
UKFM Member

Postby whiterose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:37 pm

My doctor just started me on Nortriptyline, and I'm on 10mg, but I have thought it ought to be more, as it is helping me to sleep. but only intermittently
whiterose
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Thank you for your replies. I started on Amitriptyline, just 10mg, but I wasn't happy with the side effects. So the GP swapped me over to Nortriptyline. He told me that it is practically the same as Amitriptyline, but newer (and more expensive), and the side effects are less.

Whiterose - I found that the low dose only worked intermittently for me too. I still had some bad nights. That is why he initially put it up to 25mg and now 50mg. As I said earlier, he told me that 50mg is the standard dosage for Fibro, maybe you could go back and see your doctor again?

Best wishes to you all.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby whiterose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:10 pm

yes, I'm just waiting for the results of some blood tests so will go and see him soon, will ask about upping the dose a bit. Thanks
whiterose
UKFM Member

Postby eileen4891 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi i take 100 mg at night they do help xx
eileen4891
UKFM Member

Postby whiterose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks Eileen
whiterose
UKFM Member

Postby ShaunH » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm

I have been on 50mg a night for the last 9 months. I was sure it was not actually doing anything but then I messed up my repeat prescription and had to go a few days without it. Not only did I end up not sleeping for those few days but by the third day the pains in my hips and legs were unbearable. I won't be making that mistake again.
ShaunH
UKFM Newbie

Re:has anyone seen this

Postby Fluff » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.

The discovery may lead to new treatments and perhaps even a total cure in the future, bringing relief to as many as 5 million Americans thought to have the disease. To solve the Fibromyalgia mystery, researchers zeroed in on the skin from the hand of one patient who had a lack of the sensory nerve fibers, causing a reduced reaction to pain. They then took skin samples from the hands of Fibromyalgia patients and were surprised to find an extremely excessive amount of a particular type of nerve fiber called arteriole-venule (AV) shunts.

Up until this point scientists had thought that these fibers were only responsible for regulating blood flow, and did not play any role in pain sensation, but now they’ve discovered that there is a direct link between these nerves and the widespread body pain that Fibromyalgia sufferers feel.

Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/fibromyal ... MM5rSWw.99
Fluff
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication