[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Medication advice

Medication advice

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medication advice

Postby Hannah24 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi,

I have an appointment next week with the pain management team to review my medication. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice/opinions/recommendations regarding which drugs are best.

I know that everyone is different and they can affect people in different ways but I'd like to go to the appointment armed with some extra knowledge. I have already tried a lot of drugs (with no effect) and last time I was there the lady said that we've tired all the avenues. I'm not convinced as I see posts on here all the time listing different drugs I've never heard of.

Whilst pain is my main symptom, I really want something to help me sleep without making me drowsy during the day. I constantly feel I could sleep 24/7. There are loads of other symptoms but then I suppose we all know that. I was on butrans patch but it gave me chronic constipation even with 8 sachets of laxative so I'd like to avoid that again.

Hope someone can help if only so I can make suggestions. Hopefully something will work. Thanks.
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Re: Medication advice

Postby Tinytots » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 am

Hi I have tried loads of medication too. When I went to pain clinic I was changed to Pregablin also known as Lyrica which really helps me sleep at night. I hope this helps.
Tinytots
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cazham30 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 am

The only thing that has helped me sleep better is Amitriptyline but the mixture of drugs I'm on do cause severe side effects & it puts on weight. It's so hard to know what to do or suggest. Pregablin is the one drug that really helped my flexibility but I have severe dry mouth & eyes. I sometimes just suffer with the side effects because the pain is more manageable. Good luck!!
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am

If you have not tried Duloxetine (Cymbalta) ask about that, as it is the only one that has helped and not caused bizarre side effects.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

I use Amitriptyline for sleep. I started at 5mg last year when I was diagnosed and it put me straight to sleep. I am now on 25mg. You have to take it a few hours before you plan to go to sleep. If you take it just before you go to sleep you will feel very tired during the day. Its the best drug I have!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 pm

I've just upped my Nortriptyline dose to 50mg and it really seems to work for me. I'm actually sleeping at night, which means that I feel much better the following day. I've still got pain, but take paracetamol which helps somewhat. I've also got osteoarthritis and hip bursitis, so a lot of the pain is due to this as well. It's taken a few days to get used to the higher dose, but I always take it three hours before I go to bed. I sometimes wake up still, but am able to go back to sleep rather than lying wide awake for hours.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Hannah24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:13 am

Hi,

Thank you for ally replying. I think I've tried most of the drugs mentioned above. I haven't tried noratripyline (ignore spelling please) or gabapentin so I might ask about these.

I've already tried the following (and again please ignore the spelling):

Amitriptyline - (the only one which has any affect so far)
Naproxen (useless)
Diclofen (useless)
Butrans patch (severe constipation and very little to no affect)
Duloxetine (no affect)
Pregablin (no affect)
Tramadol (no affect but also allergic to)
Codeine/paracetamol/ibroprofen (useless but I think we all know that)
Oramorph (no affect)
Ondansetron (great against nausea and sickness)

I'm sure I've tried some others but these are all I can remember. I've definately seen other drugs mentioned on here but I can't remember any of them. Never mind - fingers crossed something new comes to light. Thanks again everyone. ;-)
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:19 am

Maybe you should stop the pills altogether and try alternative therapies such as meditation and/or acupuncture and maybe counselling or something called Inner Focusing? Just a thought!

Beverley x :hugs:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby migrembe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:58 am

http://www.innerfocus.org/content/soul-directed-healing

The link should give you some idea what Inner Focusing is - think meditation and chakra healing put together.

I attended a group at MIND - mental health support and i found it fascinating, but i would recommend you find a group or another person in your area who would be willing to work with you to begin with.

I teach meditation on my blog in tiny tiny steps you might find that helpful. I used to mediate, then my world crashed around me and i didn't do any for about 4 years and then last January i began again and i really found it helps with sleeping and getting back to sleep if i wake in the night. Although i still have bad nights at times that leave my feeling similar to the way you describe, but most nights i sleep now.

Let me know if i can help further.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks Beverley. I read your link and that's really not my thing, I am not religious or spiritual in the least and want to learn meditation without that stuff as otherwise I won't be able to engage properly.

I am going to a class hopefully starting tomorrow (I've been too ill to go before), so I'm hoping to learn the skills I need there. However when I have tried it before I have really struggled, so if there is a medication that will help me with sleep I would rather have two things in my 'toolkit' and know that if one fails, the other might work.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Hannah24 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have tried alternative remedies including mindfulness, but to no effect. To be honest, mindfulness just annoyed me and I felt it was patronising. Maybe I''m not the most tolerant person.

I haven't heard of inner focusing so I'll have a look into it but like Zia I'm not the most spiritual/religious person. I have been referred to two different pain management courses - one in house and a residential one so hopefully these will help.

We do have a support group but they meet on a Tuesday which just happens to be one of the days I work. Typical!!!
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby suco » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm looking for help on how to 'post' to find out about meds....tried all the 'usual' would like to be able to tell my GP meds that are out of the normal given
suco
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm

☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication