[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - mirtazapine

mirtazapine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

mirtazapine

Postby scottydog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi all

Managed to see the dr after feeling very depressed and still not sleeping even though i am taking Lyrica and Amitriptyline and he has prescribed mirtazapine. Not got it yet as chemist is out of stock.

I put on one and a half stone with Lyrica so really hope that this pill doesn't increase my appetite. I lost loads of weight with Slimming World and still have the literature. Have decided to put me and hubby on it again from today. Just need to find my willpower now where did i put it ........

X
scottydog
UKFM Member

Re: mirtazapine

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Here's hoping it will be back in stock soon, and good luck with the Slimming World food!
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby soretro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

I was put on mirtazapine a few years back, but stopped it within a few months. It increased my appetite instantly and hugely. In fact mirtazapine is well-known for treating people with appetite loss, specifically to make them eat more.
I put on about 3-5 kg just being on mirtazapine for a short period.
"Mirtazapine is associated with weight gain both in the short- and long-term.[4] Patients taking mirtazapine often report a voracious appetite, with intense cravings for carbohydrates.[1] One meta-analysis examining 4 studies demonstrated that the majority of weight gain took place during the first 4 weeks of treatment." (Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/588676)

As you are specifically concerned about weight gain/appetite increase, I would suggest you be very careful with this drug as you WILL find your appetite (and weight) will increase. I remember when I was on it, it was like I couldn't control myself from eating - something other than my own natural appetite drives was pushing me to eat. A very weird experience! And I put on unwanted weight from the compulsive eating!

Perhaps ask your GP to put you on a different anti-depressant, seeing as you are concerned about appetite increase and weight gain as this drug will definitely do that! Good luck :-)
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby m_turner » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 pm

I took mirtazepine too & had to come off it due to weight gain x
m_turner
UKFM Newbie

Postby nichgem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

I put 2 stone on when taking mirtazapine!! really really sedative too! becareful driving xx
nichgem
UKFM Newbie

Postby scottydog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi everyone thanks for your replies and i will take note of what you have said. I would like to try them first and see how i go but if my appetite is effected i will go straight away back to the dr and ask for an alternative.

Thanks x
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby margaretmcw31 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm

I really hope the medication works for you, it did for me for a while. The downside was I put on about 5 stone with it!
margaretmcw31
UKFM Newbie

Postby Barbara H » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:55 pm

If you find your willpower, can you see if mine is hiding with it. Can''t find it anywhere.

Good luck with the tablets, best to just read the information leaflet, be aware and see how it goes, all tablets are different with different people.
Good luck.
Barbara H
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:25 pm

I just want to echo what Barbera H has said scottydog. Altho side effects are listed for patient information it doesn't mean that they will affect everyone, or to the same degree. The only way to know if they will help is, as you have said, to try them. They will probably need time to build up and take effect.

It sounds like you've got a plan in place to counter potential weight gain issues which is a good thing to do. From what I remember of Slimming World there were some really tasty recipes to make so you can still eat well, along with having a little indulgence to enjoy xx

Hopefully the mirtazapine will make a difference to you.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi,

As I said on your other thread, I once managed to lost 3.5 stone whilst on the depo injection which I am fully aware makes me hungry all the time, so it doesn't necessarily mean that (a) you will have that side effect and (b) you will gain weight.

Btw can you also find my motivation? Every Sunday night I am going to go back on WW... ;-)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scottydog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi all

Took the first pill last night. Today i have felt tired and groggy but no increase in appetite. Following Slimming World and have had quite a bit of fruit which is filling. Got chicken and chips cooked in the Actifry for tea . Husband is cooking so not sure what else we are having with it.

Yesterday I overdid it a bit so the fatigue may be down to that. I will see how i feel tomorrow. One plus so far is that i slept from around midnight until 0530 which is very good for me because I usually wake up every couple of hours. Keeping everything crossed that these new pills help me!

As always gentle hugs to you all
x
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am

Hi I was on Mirtazepine while I attended slimming world , but had to stop it as I too put on weight. It definately increases your appetite! On the plus side though I slept better on it than I have ever done! It is a very effective anti depressant though too, so I guess you just have to weigh it up! Good luck x
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Good luck Scottydog, I will be watching your updates with interest as I may ask the pain clinic about it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scottydog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi

Thanks for the responses!

Not had a good day as i have had my third migraine in two weeks. I don't think it has anything to do with the new meds though because my pain has been constant which usually triggers the migraine.

I spoke to the dr about the migraines but he was reluctant to prescribe anything else because of the amount of meds I am taking already. I also asked to be referred back to the surgeon to help with my bi lateral shoulder pain (have had 3 ops on both shoulders) but he said to wait and see how the pain management course goes. Understanding but frustrating too!

I slept better again last night, despite the migraine, and hoping that continues!

Gentle hugs to you all x
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby ISCBE » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 pm

I was put on these recently due to a huge depression and the first strength didn't work so was upped on the doseage.

Yes I have seen a gain in weight but the benefits out way this for me and just means I need to more walking to burn some it off. I have found things like carrots and celery as snacks a good way to try and break the appetite and with the affects of being able to sleep well and I am finding I am getting more and more energy and clarity each day. All the best

ISCBE
ISCBE
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication