Codeine not working anymore

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Codeine not working anymore

Postby JemmaB88 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi guys,

Feeling pretty pants at the moment. IBS horrific (undergoing testing AGAIN, waiting on a test result, as looks like Crohn's), sleep alluding me, looking after a 5 month old and husband working 50 hour weeks with carpal tunnel (so a grumpy wotsit) is starting to get to me on top of FM.

I usually take 2x paracetamol extra 3 times a day and I was on 1x codeine 30mg twice a day. Then upped it to 3 times a day. Just recently I have taken 60mg twice a day and tempted to up that to 3 times. It just doesn't have the same effect anymore.

Could this be due to an increase in tolerance? I am deficient in vitamin B12 which they think is due to my IBS/Bowel problem. Could it actually be peripheral nerve damage causing the increase in pain? Or be causing the fibromyalgia?

Once my results come back I think yet another trip to the GP may be in order. :(
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Codeine not working anymore

Postby Cazham30 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Hey, everyone's tolerance of medication is different. I was switched from codeine to Tramadol within a month of taking it but it wasn't until they put me on 100 mg twice a day modified release tablets that it took the edge off. I suffered for 6 months until I was put on Pregablin and things started to improve but I do have to take the highest dose of 300 mg twice a day. It took longer to get my sleep under control in fact about a year. I take 75 mg Amitriptyline & although I can still have sleepless nights it's dramatically changed compared to what it was. I've just been tested for Vitamin B12 and Folic acid deficiencies but I hadn't heard of them linked to IBS but Fibro. I hope you find a combination of meds & Vitamin supplements that help ease your pain.
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 am

Hi,
Medication can be different for each and every one of us. Having said that, the body also can build up a tolerance if used fr extended periods of time. Having said that, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and you might be going through a flare. Medication for me is okay if I am just in "normal" pain, my flu from hell type pain, but when I have a flare, (don't let the sheets touch me because my skin is on fire), then nothing but unconsciousness will do the trick, pain meds cannot, for me, help with flares. :yikes:

You are taking a good amount of codeine, and it might be worth a review to see if there is anything that you can take with/instead that might help at this time as you do have responsibilities that cannot be ignored. (Codeine family makes me blow up like a balloon, so I can't take it in case my throat swells and doctors act weird when you stop breathing). :crazy:

I took tramadol for over two years, but developed seizures so had to stop it. I am on Gabapentine 1800 a day, divided into three doses, 4000mg of paracetamol in between, 20 mg of Amatriptaline at night, plus 60 mg of Duloxitine. (Who really knows how to spell these meds) :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!: Each of us has worked, or is working with a doctor to find the right balance for our pain, our tolerance, and for our bodies as we metabolize differently we need to see what works as an individual, not what works for her will work for him type of pain relief.

(((hugs)))

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think you are right Queenie. I am in a flare.

I used to be on amitryptiline. Didn't help, the side effects made more problems. Then tried nortriptyline. Again no benefit.

I started on 15mg codeine twice a day, Then upped it and keep having to increase it so I think it is a tolerance thing. Paracetamol does nothing for me anymore. I cannot take nsaids because of my bowel issues. I think I might ask to try tramadol. I discussed gabapentin or pregabalin with my gp and he was not too keen to start these yet.

But it is my life and my body so why can't I try something that might help, just because he doesn't fancy giving it to me? Its not like I am asking for morphine! Haha

Thanks again x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication