[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Next med choice for fibro

Next med choice for fibro

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Next med choice for fibro

Postby paulfoel » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:34 am

Wife currently takes Naproxen, Co-codamol and gabapentin. At the mo, think dose of Gaba is fairly low (3 tabs in the evening). Also, low dose of an AD.

Gabapentine does have a little effect. BUt it makes her very drowsy - hence taking it in evening.

Whats the next step? Higher does GBP?

What about lyrica? Or is GBP better anyway?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Next med choice for fibro

Postby redplanetgirl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:12 am

Ive just started on Lyrica (pregabalin) which I see a lot of fibro/me sufferers are also on, is it the most common, I've tried to find out what it is made from?
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:22 am

It's difficult to say whether Lyrica {Pregabalin} is better than Gabapentin because it all comes down to how the individual responds to the particular med. For some Gabapentin does absolutely nothing whereas Pregabalin can be effective, and for others, it can be the opposite way round.

The only way to find out if something will help is for it to be tried. Maybe have a looky thru some of the topics on the board with your wife, make some notes about meds that are mentioned, find out a little about each one, and take these notes with you when she next has a GP appt and see what might be suitable for her to try.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulfoel » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks all.

Whats the standard way around? Or what does NICE say about this?

I notice gabapentin is off label so Im guessing most try lyrica first? As I said wife is still on v low dose of gabapentin.

I heard that lyrica is quite expensive?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Very, very, very generally, Gabapentin is the one that tends to be tried first as it is the older and cheaper of the 2 meds. If, after a suitable period of time, things are not really improving, then Pregabalin may be tried. Both are prescribed "off~label" as here in the UK there are no licensed meds for FM.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lk6 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:58 pm

Just like to say thank you to the administrators for helping me to log in, typical fibro fog I had forgotten my username thanks guys for answering so quickly.
Lk6
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby ixel-chick » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:56 am

She currently takes low dose 300mg of Gabapentin. Problem is it makes her really tired so she can just take this before bed.

Shes off to doc today. Plan is to up her AD dose (quite low dose of citalopram at the mo) and also her consultant did suggest Lyrica as next option in his last letter to GP so this is a plan.

Shes normally bad for side effects though - Whats Lyrica like?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm

It may be worth asking if there is a pain management doctor at your local hospital, it may help,and provide more information on meds etc, they may run a pain management programme, to help learn different ways of coping and pacing life with pain.

Cat
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Sorry brain fog, meant to say on previous post has she had her vitamin D level checked,quite often its low with fibro,i having been taking prescribed supplements for a while had my levels checked again and there were still pants, now the doc has increased me to 4x the recommended daily amount, since increasing my dose i have noticed an improvement in my pain level, a low Vit d level symptom is pain.

Also if she has muscle spasms magnesium supplement is another idea, as it can help, and can help reduce the spasms, i also have a magnesium spray i use to rub on any sore areas.

Cat
gizsam
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication