[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Vitamin D?

Vitamin D?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Vitamin D?

Postby paulfoel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Worth a go or waste of money?

1000 or 5000 strength? Any brands better than others.....
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Vitamin D?

Postby Garyl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:41 pm

You are best seeing your Doctor as they can prescribe better Vitamin D supplements i am currently o Fultium D capsules from doctor and they are helping also get Vitamin B12 injections
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Juliehayward23 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:01 pm

I was prescribed calcium and vit D by my GP about a month ago. I have noticed a slight improvement to my tiredness, but too soon to tell if it has has improved.
Juliehayward23
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:06 pm

High strength is definitely worth a try - I am doing the same :) I've read that the RDA for Vitamin D is under-estimated, so you could benefit from a supplement even if your Vitamin D levels are at the 'normal' range. It is worth a try. Although you can overdose on Vitamin D, you need to be taking vast quantities for a long time for it to have a negative effect, so taking a bit more than the RDA for a short period shouldn't cause any problems.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi paulfoel, yes! Vitamin is very important for us and if you do decide to take it be cautious about what kind to take as the pill form only has aprox. a 30% absorption rate. Myself i use "D" drops but i have heard there is also a gelcap type as well.

I was prescribed vit. D a number of years ago and it has made a big difference in how i feel.. severe upper resperatory infections have been greatly reduced down to only a bad cold sometimes, except this winter which was brutal due to a virus going around here that has been kicking everyone's butt.

Do check with your Dr. first though.

Cheers and good luck!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:03 pm

I was found to be deficient in Vitamin D last year after having a range of blood tests done by a gastroenterologist. So, I had a very high dose prescribed for a few weeks and now I take a supplement, which I got from my chemist. I didn't realise how important it was to have a good Vitamin D level until I began to read about it.

However, I think it depends on your GP as to whether or not they are prescribed. My GP won't prescribe and just says to get them from the supermarket. If this is the case with you, a good pharmacist should be able to advise you.

All the best.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:59 pm

I was deficient in vitamin d. I started on a very high dose but now take a daily 800iu x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Barbara H » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Ask the Doctor to test you first, they will only benefit you if you need them, when you are very low on them, you are put on very high doses, but you need testing every so often to check your levels, when they get to the correct level, they need lowering, then you are tested again. See your Doctor first, is my advice.
Barbara H
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:57 pm

I was found to be severly deficient with a level just above 10 and I was put on a very high dose (10k) - after a couple of months I was up to 144 (the top of 'normal'). I'm now on a maintenance dose of 800 as I will never get enough sun.

I have to say, it did absolutely nothing in terms of my symptoms. I was really hopeful my problems were down to that, but this was before Fibro was mentioned.

I don't really agree with taking them unless you find out your levels are low through a blood test and don't get enough sun. It took 35 years for my level to get that low because I can't process Vit D properly and am allergic to the sun. Most people don't have such a low level and imho a 5k dose would be too much unless you are actually diagnosed with deficiency and need it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby paulfoel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks for the feedback. I guess testing is probably the best option.
In terms of getting prescribed, hmmm, a years supply of 5000mg is ony £10 on amazon so not worth the hassle.

In terms of taking them or not. Yes it would be nice to know if you are deficient but then why not take anyway? Too much wont do any harm will it?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:28 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulfoel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:56 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm

That's an American council and our medical advisers in this country wouldn't necessarily agree. My experience shows that most people don't need anywhere near that much.

Obviously if your wife wants to try it then by all means, but do bear FP's link in mind.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:16 am

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:17 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication