[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Vitamin D?

Vitamin D?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Vitamin D?

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Your opinion ;-) I've already said that my experience shows most people wouldn't need 5k, but I don't know if you saw my comment.

I got my hopes way up that Vit D would help and was extremely disappointed, so I hope that whatever else people take that in.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Thought this might be of interest...

http://healthplus.co.uk/blog/?p=477

:-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:56 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Also a fair point ;-) As long as you and your wife don't pin all your hopes on it being a solve all - I really wish it was. I hope that it helps your wife though :-D
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Many people are low in vitamin D because the sun isn't strong enough for most of the year and we spend so much time inside anyway. Getting the sun in winter in the UK will not boost your vitamin D levels; there is only a narrow period in the summer really. Even then if you have darker skin your risk is even higher because the skin pigment in darker skin blocks out more of the sun and slows down vitamin D conversion.

Web sites like the vitamin D council recommend up to 10,000 IU daily. That seems to extreme to me, my levels increased from practically non-existent to high-normal on much less than that. I now take about 1500 IU daily as a maintenance dose.

You can buy online from amazon, holland and barrett, etc. You want the D3 form of vitamin D in capsule rather than tablet form. Personally I would buy it without added calcium. It is also OK to buy the super high strength tablets but just take one a week or one a fortnight.

1000iu = 25ug
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:46 pm

NHS recommendations of 800 per day are too low by almost any other standard. NHS will take time to catch up.

It is probably cheaper to buy yourself than get a prescription.... unless you get free prescriptions.... but even then sometimes they prescribe a crappy low dose with calcium.

After a few months I noticed an improvement in fatigue. The overwhelming desire to nap during the day virtually disappeared. I also noticed my muscles no longer burn and ache for days on end after exercise. My body used to feel like I had been 12 rounds with Muhammad Ali after moderate exercise; that is much better now I'm on the vitamin D.

edit: private NHS approved blood tests available for £30 - finger prick.
http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm

'Researchers at UC San Diego and Creighton University have challenged the intake of vitamin D recommended by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Institute of Medicine (IOM), stating that their Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin D underestimates the need by a factor of ten' :

http://www.newswise.com/articles/scient ... ar-too-low
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication