[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Taking anti depressant

Taking anti depressant

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Taking anti depressant

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:42 pm

After this passed week being so bad and now having more bad than good days since my arthritis came out of remission, I saw a dr about getting anti depressants. I told him I'm usually a very positive person and try to find the good in anything. I felt like I had accepted a life of fibro & arthritis at a young ish age, but I don't feel I can cope anymore, my moods have been going downwards and I've been resting more than usual. Don't feel happy and struggling to find any positives now. I cant imagine having this for life and how I will continuing trying to cope and fight at the same time. We had a long chat and he's a great gp. He's the one who sent me to the rheumatologist within a week when I got signs of arthritis (rheumy then diagnosed fibro a year later). Anyway, he's out me on sertraline. He says it has the least side effects than the others and I should do well on it. He thinks it could take 6 weeks to feel the benefits. Another gp has upped my gabapentin for the pain side of things. We are going up slowly from 300mg a day to 900mg a day. Hopefully that will go well and my body can handle it.

Anyway, hoping for light heading my way and I can be my normal positive self x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Taking anti depressant

Postby Atkins_La » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 pm

i take sertraline and have done for about 2 years, I think it helps me, just so hard after so long to know if anything really works or not.

I also take gabpentin but I am now on 600mg 3 times a day

That is now starting to really help, i think
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Popped you into here with you posting about meds Theresa, it's a more suitable board and you won't drop down into the depths of the forum and into the paws of the DustBunnies quite as quickly.

I have Sertraline in my cocktail, it's been one of the ingredients for a couple of years now, and it's the only anti~d that has done anything for me. Prior to that I had been on a number of others, but they did absolutely nothing for my wild mood~swings, even when at close to maximum dosage.

So far, I've only needed to have the dose increased once, altho there have been a few times, esp recently when I've felt I've been getting close to needing it upping again. My moods have always swung from one to another, with nothing really in the middle that can be called a happy medium, and whilst this still happens, things don't go quite as far as they have done previously.

I think it took around a month for me to start feeling a difference, and for the first week or 2 my headaches were worse, but they dradually returned to more like their usual intensity as I got used to it being in my system. Altho the distructions for mine say to take it in the morning, I find it more beneficial to take it at night, meaning I'm slightly more alert when I get up compared to how I was when taking it in the morning.

Hopefully adding this to your cocktail, as well as increasing the Gabapentin, will help you start finding those glimmers that, ultimately, will take you back to somewhere a little brighter than where you currently are :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:23 pm

I took Sertraline for 9 months of 2011 during a nervous breakdown caused by my a-hole boss, the first month was hell with the side effects, but after that, I started to function normally again, they were a godsend. Stick with them, they're worth it.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank you for the replies x It does help to know that others are on the same med. I'm starting in 50mg and if I need a higher dose the gp is ok with that. I took mine last night as suggested by the gp. He said two things can happen with this med, I can either get very sleepy with it or wide awake. I did manage to sleep ok last night so hopefully I can continue taking it at night with my gabapentin and Amitriptyline. Getting increasingly worried about how much my meds are getting now. Going to start arthritis meds next week and from what I've read, I need to take another med along side it to counteract the side effects. This is so depressing :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication