[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - So frustrating, my GP has given up on me.

So frustrating, my GP has given up on me.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So frustrating, my GP has given up on me.

Postby Ollycob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:38 pm

I feel like my gp has basically given up on me, I have told him that my meds are no longer working and his response was "don't take them then"! I'm currently on gabapentin, alverine, omeprazole, naproxen, fluoxetine, amitriptyline and mirtazapine. I was on propanalol for anxiety but as iddidn't feel they were working g I've stopped taking them and my gp won't try anything else. I was also on tramadol and diazepam, but after i took an overdose earlier this year they have been stopped. I am not sure where else to go, after 6 months of pestering the doctors I have finally got an appointment with the pain clinic would they be more helpful do you think? I just feel so low about everything at the moment, I have other medical conditions as well as fibromyalgia and I'm struggling to cope to be honest :(
Ollycob
UKFM Member

Re: So frustrating, my GP has given up on me.

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi hun x I saw gp yesterday about my increasing depression and manage to get an anti depressant. I too have other medical conditions and its really starting to get to me. I know how hard it is x I'm sorry your gp isnt understanding. Have you seen more than one? Maybe as a second opinion? Its good you've got into the pain clinic. I havent used one personally but I think its a good start for you to get some help and understanding. Its so hard being us isnt it?

Lots of love x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Ollycob,

With a response like that I would immediately get a second opinion, like Theresa said. It is bad enough that we are often not believe, but to be pushed to the wayside with comments like that does not help.

I too overdosed, (not recently), and so I can never have sleeping pills again. Point is, I still have sleep issues, and one mistake in reason should not dictate the rest of my care, so I make sure it doesn't. Talk to other people in your area to see if they know a doctor that they seem to like. Often a doctor is recommended by word of mouth, but also it means they are hard to get in to see. The good thing though, is that you will know that they will take your pain seriously.

One cannot live with the negativity of a doctor, when we go there for help and support.

Good luck, please keep us informed.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Ollycob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank you, I will ring in on Monday and try to get an appointment with a different GP. I feel really let down by this doctor, I went in around 10 days ago because I felt like I was in crisis and he told me to go home and calm down :-x I don't want to have to change doctors as the only other practice that will take me on is in a high tourism area and is a nightmare to get to in summer!
Ollycob
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi again,

If you feel like you are in a crisis, go to the A&E department. I know that one is not supposed to use it now-a-days for anything other than life or limb, but a crisis is life and limb to you. Call Monday, good luck, and let us know.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:32 pm

☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Ollycob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks again, I do agree that I'm on a lot of meds and it would be easier to reduce them. ixel-chick, I have extremely low blood pressure, normally 90/60 ish but I often keel over as it will suddenly drop, I went down in the surgery and my BP was 70/40! I did have an ECG as I had a high heart rate but it came back clear.
Ollycob
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 pm

ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Ollycob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Can you suggest some meds that I could discuss? I would like to reduce the list of meds I'm on but have no idea what to ask about. The doctors over the years have all just suggested that I drink more water, I have also been informed that it seems to be a family trait as my mum also faints a lot.
Ollycob
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:13 pm

ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby WENMARIE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi,
I would like you to understand not all doctors are like yours.

I changed which doctor I wanted to see at my practice and my new one is brilliant.
She understands that my pain and peaks and troughs with my depression are linked. I have tried most of the medications on the market and as a last resort I was weaned off them. So we started again and it was the best decision I ever made and with her encouragement I am now feeling the benefit.
Please don't give up, one bad doctor does not represent the majority. I know many people on here have had to fight for recognition of their symptoms and it is worthwhile having a good doctor on side.

Things will get better once you are on the right meds :-)
WENMARIE
UKFM Member

Postby Ollycob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Ollycob
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 pm

i know how you feel my meds don't work anymore i asked 7 times to get a different type of pain med but was told once i have been to a pain management program they were the ones that would change them, as i then rang the program up to which i was told sorry we cannot change your meds we just try to get you to cope with them by coming in here for a day a week. then i was told a consultant can change meds to which i fighter the doctor for another refferal to my pain consultant as i am not happy with the meds I'm taking at the moment
heres the list I'm on
lansoprole 30mg 1 aday
tramadol slow release 200mg twice day
paracetamol 2 for times day
gabapentine 300mg 9 a day
naproxen 500mg twice a day
quinnie sulphate 300mg 1 at night for leg cramps

i am going to ask for a medicine called sativex.
Sativex®is GW's lead cannabinoid pharmaceutical product, administered as an oral spray which is absorbed by the patient’s mouth.http://www.gwpharm.com/prescriberinformation.aspx
thats the link
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 am

hi thanks for replying i do not live in wales but i will try to get this medicine when i goto the consultant. I will be taking a printout of a fact sheet for the drug and also the cost per year for my medication i take now and affects on my insides. Also the tablets i have now to the affects of the new medication i want which is cheaper in a year believe it or not than what I'm taking now. i proberly will not get anywhere as without bad luck i would have no luck hehe. But i really think it is worth a go as if you don't ask you will not get. here is the fact sheet if anyone wants it. http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/p ... ativex.jsp
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication