Duluxetine ?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Duluxetine ?

Postby Mk1divemaster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi all ,
Has anyone tried or still on this anti depressant duluxetine, after trying sertraline ? I've read reviews that this drug is better for Fm sufferers
Can someone tell me if its true for them?
Seeing my gp on Wednesday and wondering if it's worth trying as I think the Sertraline is aggravating my problem now , after a few years I've been on it ,
Many thanks
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Re: Duluxetine ?

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:50 pm

I think there's quite a few that's on it here, so hopefully they can give some advise.

It's similar to the tabs I'm on, both deals with seratonin/norepinephrine. The difference is one does more of this, and less of the other, and the other drug is the other way around. :-D

Good luck for Wednesday!
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby seasidebea » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 pm

I was lucky to have a doctor who recognised the systems of FM and diagnosed me about 12yrs ago , when we moved here my new doctor changed my meds and put me on duluxetine which I've now been on for 6years without any side effects
I think I'm lucky as I don't have any really bad episode's often , I don't know if this is down to the drug or not but I feel OK on it
I still get the usual aches and pains, loss of memory, tiredness etc, but my mental health is pretty sable

So I hope this helps abit but I would discuss it with your doctor as everyone's different what suit me may not suit you

All the best :-)
seasidebea
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 am

Have been on duloxetine for a good while now and it suits me well.

Great pain relief to begin with then it plateaued out.

Am still sore at varying degrees but sure it would be much worse without duloxetine. Found it the most helpful. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 am

I have been on it since the beginning of Dec last year, so not very long, but i have seen a marked improvement in the symptoms of depression and the FM, but unfortunately not the fatigue.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:20 pm

And in complete contrast... :mrgreen: I went on it and it made me *wired* all day and unable to sleep at night at all. For three weeks. In the end I admitted defeat and came off it again because I was trying to get help for my sleep and it was having the opposite effect.

As ever, the usual caveats though - we all react differently and it might (probably!) work better for you than it did for me :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Mk1divemaster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for all your replies , I'll keep you posted :-D
Mk1divemaster
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 pm

As usual we are all giving completely different replies. I was on Dulextine for about nine months prior to being diagnosed with Fibro. and I absolutely hated it. It increased my migraines, made me sick and did absolutely nothing for my pain.

However, I would say the only way that you are going to know is to try it for yourself.

Hope it helps you.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 am

Isn't it strange how different we all are. I would never ever give up my Duloxetine! I've been taking it for almost 4 years. It was prescribed by my psychiatrist following huge success with it in the USA for the treatment of FM pain. I ran out when I was on holiday once and was astonished by how quickly severe pain returned. It really is a God send for me.

Occasionally, when I can't get to see my usual GP, GPs suggest giving it up but this isn't for reasons of my health, it's a financial issue. Duloxetine is very expensive. It is also in limited supply. My usual pharmacy only received 1 pack per delivery, so I normally have to go back the following week to collect my owing prescription.

I'd say it is worth trying for a couple of months, should you choose to do so.

Good luck
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby Auntie Jo » Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 pm

I've been on Duloxetine for a few years now and it's the best one I have been on for minimal side effects - in fact I don't think I have any which is good. The doctor had tried so many others with me before so it was a relief to find one that suited me.
Auntie Jo
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication