maximum dose of gaberpentine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

maximum dose of gaberpentine

Postby tintagel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 am

HI all,

Having the worst flare yet. Every flare seems to have worse pain than the last, which is scary. Where will it end? Anyway, my question is, what is the usual maximum dose of gaberpentine per day? I am currently on 3x300mg a day, have been for 2 months and so far no beneficial effect at all.

Thankyou.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Re: maximum dose of gaberpentine

Postby Torquay » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 am

Hello. I have been taking 1800.mlg per day in divided dose. Been on these for two years. I am not getting the same effect as last year so I am going to reduce them slowly.
All the very best
Torquay
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fluff » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:01 pm

The maximum dose is 3 x 300mg 3 times a day I'm not sur if you can go to 3600mg though. My doc was talking with me about it last week I am also on 1800mg daily
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby sue cooper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi...I am on 9 x 300mg per day of Gabapentin & my GP says I can go even higher, not reached the max yet. I also take Tramadol 50mg's as and when required & having had a bad fibro flare up last week I am on 1 x 4 a day & 2 at night.
I also take 8 paracetamol a day & 3 Nortriptylene at night ~ walking chemist lol!!! When I feel I can, I will drop the Tramadol as I get such a dry mouth otherwise no other effects from this.

I have a very high pain threshold & a high tolerance to pain ...as I told my Orthopaedic Consultant last week when I went for results of knee/hip MRI following xrays which did not show much damage ~ anywhere!!! ~ but the MRI most certainly did ~ he apologised for doubting me! He has put me on urgent list for both knees replaced and also my hip!!!

As I told the consultant the pain from knees and hip is like a tickle compared to Fibro pain & RSD which I also have!

I would live in a cave if I could rid my body of Fibro & RSD, they are like having "hell" inside your body just lurking to flare up big time.
I am never free from "degrees" of fibro but I get up each day and make myself do something around the house, have to sit down to rest after light dusting but at least I have done something to try to get me going...works for me.
sue cooper
UKFM Member

Postby lynlyn1212 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:58 pm

I am on 600mg 3 times a day. Think I could go higher if I asked doc but ok at that level for now. Also take Solpadol for pain and cocktail of other drugs. Don't punch me, I'd rattle!
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkbeagle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but I saw your post. I have been taking Gabapentin for the best part of 2 years now. The dose I take is 900mg three times a day. I also take Naproxen 500 mg twice a day, Amitryptilyne 25mg at night and Fluoxetine 20mg once per day. I have to take extra pain killers, usually paracetamol or co codamol when the pain is bad. My doctor told me that there is still room to increase the gabapentin if required. I tried taking Tramadol but it sent me loopy, I was talking to the walls. The main issue I have with the gabapentin is that it caused significant weight gain which I am trying hard to get rid of but its a small price to pay for the pain relief. :-D
Pinkbeagle
UKFM Newbie

Postby fibrofrienz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been diagnosed with fibro since early in 2013, although I think I have had it far longer than that. The same year I was also diagnosed with a large hole between the top two chambers of my heart which had been there since birth but never picked up, and was starting to give me heart failure. I have now had the hole closed up, but because of the heart drugs I take (propranolol, simvastatin and warfarin) I am limited to what the GP can give me for the fibro pain. I am beginning to feel quite desperate and depressed because it really affects my life and my mobility. My GP has said I could try Gabapentin... to start low and work up with the dose. I have heard it puts weight on and makes you feel woozie. The large dose of propranolol I am already taking causes similar symptoms, so I am quite worried to start it. Has anyone else had weight issues with it? Does it cause wooziness, and will I feel ok to drive whilst on it? I would be grateful to hear any comments.
fibrofrienz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi,

I didn't have weight gain on it nor did I have problems driving. They affect everyone differently though! If you put it into the search box near the top you'll see lots of posts on this and can see what others have been saying.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication