[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Anyone decided they have had enugh of meds and just stopped?

Anyone decided they have had enugh of meds and just stopped?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Anyone decided they have had enugh of meds and just stop

Postby TNK* » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:36 am

See. ..that was what I was doing before I was dx in march last ty...id spent years having hot baths, early nights and just putting up with it....I've tried the meds and that just made me a zombie version of myself but still with pain and more fatigue.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am

I've been like this for something like 5 years now, at least that's when I realised that the pain I was in didn't relate to anything I'd done or even just the ageing process. I'm resigned to this, I prefer it to the alternative, and on the whole, I manage to live a fairly normal life.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby TNK* » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:05 pm

The lack of sleep is a huge thing for me also....i very rarely get a full nights sleep, even with a sleeper. it is very poor quality sleep at best

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:16 pm

☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Ixel, I'm still working full time and have a very busy life and a physically demanding hobby. As long as that's the case, I'm staying away from the drugs.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:02 pm

I found Movelat Gel works for me.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby Tuckvale » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Excercise and no stress, trouble is I got so I'll had to stop working. I am not fit enough to go to the gym or even walk the dog. I had to heal my gut which I did, then got a virus and here we go again. The pills are coming out of my ears! Arrgh :yikes:
Tuckvale
UKFM Newbie

Postby TNK* » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 am

This is my point, up util about 10 years ago i wouldnt even take a paracetamol for a headache, would ather drink plenty and lie down in a dark room and let it pass.

But my last few visits to the gp increased my meds each time i went and i just came out feeling "not more pills"

Up until last week i was on 30/500 co codamol x 2 4 times a day, 120mg arcoxia, 20mg amitriptyline, 100mg gabapentine, Lansoprazole, 5mg zolpidem, 10mg iron tablets all on prescription, and i was struggling to remember when to take it all which was getting me in a tiz.

So now ive jibbed off everything apart from the co codmol and the arcoxia, and i still take the sleeper at night. its been about a week now and i dont feel any worse for it. yeah ive still got aches and pains, but i had them anyway even on the pills, but now im a bit less of a zombie, i can actully wake up at 8am and see my daughter when she gets up or actually get up and do stuff in the day rather than just stay in bed until i need to get up to go to work.

I am still going to see my gp, but the appointment isnt until next week now, so i will just monitor things and see how i get on.

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Kyranne » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi,

This is my first ever post on a forum of any kind, but I wanted to share my experience.

Last year in March, I begun a series of six spinal injections, given under local anaesthetic, every five weeks or so.

To say each injection was extremely painful is an understatement, as well as blood pressure falling to 90/60 each time, etc, etc; with the surgeon insisting on only giving me one day med cert each time. But I lived with the hope that once the course was over I'd feel some relief. I didn't expect to be pain free, just to have my daily pain scale reduced to say a 6/10 would have been enough :-D

My point is that I promised myself that the course would be my last treatment. I was tired of the cocktail of drugs, including tramadol, codeine, lyrica, etc etc; which were not making any difference to my pain scale anyway. I was tired of the hospital appointments to pain clinic, physio,.... I started reducing my meds and dedicated the summer hols (I'm lucky enough to be a teacher) to completely removing them. Instead, I focused on increasing the time I spent on body conditioning (so grateful to Davina MaCall for her dvds). Everyday I would do three sessions of thirty min (again all my body can cope with at any one time).

By the time I finished the course of injections, I was practically med free. And I have managed to stay this way. Now I am coping well with 30 min daily of body conditioning together (and I try to force myself to do it even when my body feels it weighs 100kg) with a sleeping tablet. My sleeping tablet I am scared of giving up. A few hours of deep sleep is my saving grace.

Now that I am having a good period of positiveness, I have started a 28 day raw juice diet to flush out the toxins of years of meds.

This combination is helping me cope very well and I can say that I am feeling like my old self, which I had thought I had lost to fibro.

I hope my story helps give some of you some courage/hope to try the same.

Much love,

Ky
Kyranne
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You mentioned sleeping tablets - do you mean OTC or a prescribed one?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby TNK* » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Im still waiting for my GP appointment, they couldnt fit me in until mext week!

But I actully feel quite ok, I still get the fatigue and have aches and pains, but i did whilst i was on the meds still anyway.

So in that way ive not got any worse coming off them, but I actually dont feel like a zombie anymore...I have been up since just before 8am and have had a busy day, ive took DD out for the day as she is still off school for the rest of the week, ive done a bit of shopping and faffed about with a bit of laundry!
Usually i would only venture out of bed by 11ish and maybe do a bit of washing and let DD entertain herself, if i had work id get up about 1pm and slowly get ready for work at 5pm.

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:33 pm

☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 pm

I think "each to their own", there is no right or wrong.

I decided to come off Amitriptyline because I felt the side-effects worse than the symptoms I was trying to treat. I tried some other similar medications and had the same problem; no efficacy and lots of side-effects.

I've tried to cut back on pain killers a few times, but I find some days I simply can't function without them. I've been on co-codamol for 5 years or so now and the side-effects are less than they were and the pain relief is still good. On average I take 3 per day and thankfully I have not needed to increase the number I take over the years.

I'm not sure I will ever be 'med free' again. I could of course survive without the pain killers but I would not be living, I would be restricted so much life wouldn't be worth living.

One anxiety I have actually is if I ever have to change GP and get one that doesn't believe in chronic pain and tries to pull me off the pain killers. I don't know how I would manage.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication