[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gabapentin

Gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin

Postby Kerret » Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi, I’m new to this board so hope I’m writing under the correct topic and bear with me on all the questions …

I suffer from a plethora of medical conditions which affect me on a day to day basis and have resulted in me being unable work. I’m only 33 years old and feel many, many, many years my senior.

I recently had some blood tests, xrays, undergone physio, back rehabilitation classes, etc to eliminate other possible causes for my ongoing pain, spasms and fatigue (although I suffer from hypermobility syndrome, CFS/ ME and have hypothyroidism). Yesterday my Dr confirmed her suspicion and diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.

A couple of months ago my Dr put me on Cocodamol which made me severly ‘cloudy’ in the head resulting in a bad fall. Then four weeks ago, when having some more blood tests, she put me on Gabapentin starting with 1 x 300mg table, increasing to 3 x 300mg tablets per day. In addition I take prescribed ibuprofen and paracetamol and been on Fluoxetine for a number of years to help with my bipolar (but been told this should help with fibro). Sadly I’ve noticed no improvement and so she is now increasing the Gabapentin gradually so I’ll be taking 9 x 300mg tablets per day. Due to my other conditions I’ll be taking +/- 26 tablets a day – that’s just my added moan as I sit here annoyed and unsure how to move forward (yet fearing the future).

My question is to those that have been on Gabapentin, how did this affect you, did it help or not? I found it initially gave me really bad heartburn/ indigestion.

Apparently due to the other medication I’m on it restricts what she can prescribe for me in relation to fibromyalgia as they interact with each other.

Also, I’d be interested in anything non-medical you found to be of use. I’m considering CBT and taking part in the EPP programme.

Thanks in advance!
Kerret
UKFM Newbie

Re: Gabapentin

Postby whoami » Thu May 07, 2015 9:34 pm

I could not take gabapentin. Terrible side effects, headaches, stomach pain was like a gall bladder attack. I had the same effects from Lyrica.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Mummyc13 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi there I've been on gabapentin for 3 weeks now, only diagnosed in March I'm only 27, after having a rough time on amitriptyline I find the gabapentin helps ease the pain slightly I'm already on 900mg a day but I get really bad brain fog, make me really tired and I get dizzy and lightheaded a lot which makes me unstable on my feet which can be a pain when I have a young child to look after but otherwise I don't have any other problems with it, I have other medical problems but doesn't really help with anything else hope it's of some use best wishes
Mummyc13
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hayleyed74 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi Kerret,
Ive had the following for 25yrs now. I've tried nearly every medication possible for my HMS, Fibro, Sciatica etc etc and have just been put on Gabapentin. I'm only on my second week so I'm now taking 200mg 3 x daily. I've not found any change yet apart from being a little "cloudy" as they say. I'm also on Tramadol, paracetomal, cocodomal, Naproxen, Nortriptyline and patches.... I was on morphine too up to a few weeks ago but I'm giving my body a break from them for now. Adds up to about the same amount of tabs as yourself so I can completely sympathise with you on how horrible and frustrating this all is. The problem I find is that I don't really notice if the meds are working till I go to do anything or when I stop doing things. So I suppose time will tell.... My main objective is to be able to brush my hair without my arms killing and my hands feeling like every bone is being crushed lol but can't have everything I suppose. Keep us updated on how your getting on
Hayleyed74
UKFM Newbie

Postby fatalrazkaz » Fri May 08, 2015 5:49 pm

As no-one else seems to have been on Gabapentin for very long I thought I would reply. I was finally diagnosed with Fibro 3 years ago after having it for 20 years. I have been on Gabapentin for 3 years. 1 300mg capsule 3 times a day. No side effects at all and it helped my pain slightly, like a background effect. BUT, recently I had been getting a very fuzzy brain, was struggling to think straight and deal with things. Then, a month ago our 4yr old cat was diagnosed with congenital heart disease after she collapsed, and two days later was put to sleep as there was nothing they could do and she could not breathe outside of an oxygen tent. Already being fuzzy, then trying to deal with the shock and grief of this my brain just seemed to give up. At one point in town my husband thought I was going to collapse. The only thing I could think of that might be affecting my brains ability to work properly was the Gabapentin. Its an epilepsy drug so I presume it works by interfering with the electrical activity of the brain. That may be fine if you have epilepsy but if you don't then I think it stops your brain from working properly. It doesn't bear thinking about what I would be like now after 3 years if I had been taking 3 times the dose that I was. Anyway, I stopped taking it and within 48 hours everything just became clearer. It was like walking out of a fog. There was the world. Admittedly after 3 days back came the pain with a vengeance, but I had lived with that pain for 20 years before I was diagnosed and I have to say I would rather be clear headed and in bad pain than in mild pain and not be able to think straight. The chemist thinks it may have built up over the three years. I wont go back to it now. :crazy:
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri May 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Gabapentine and I just don't get along. The first time I tried it I was bejng sick badly. The second time I tried it, on my gp's sayso, I was laid up in bed for 10 days with violent vomiting. When that stopped I realised I had lost all the strength in my legs. A year latef I have got some strength back.

I have osteoarthritis, underactive thyroid, bursutis, asthma and angina. I am on morphine patches ax I can't take the usual pain killers. I also take amitriptylline to help with pain and sleep.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 pm

I have tried quite a few different meds now and Gabapentin was one of only two that I could tolerate without some grim side effects. The other is Lyrica (Pregabalin) which I am on now, which is more expensive and often works better (although we're all different!). I would guess you could take Lyrica but they usually try you on the cheaper alternative first, obviously. I imagine you can't take any of the 'old' ADs like amitriptyline or nortriptyline, which are the alternative meds for fibro?

In terms of non-medical stuff, I do hydrotherapy which helps, tai chi, use a TENS machine usually on my shoulders/neck and heat packs. I also attended an EPP programme but actually found the one run by the pain management team far better as it was run by medical staff. EPP is a nice idea but imho isn't as effective. So research what options are at your local hospital and get a referral to that dept (pain clinic or rheumatology depending) from your GP. That opens up so many options. I also do CBT but as she's not an expert in pain I'm not finding it that helpful. I am going to be seeing someone from the pain clinic which should help though.

By the way, I am only a few years older than you and get the feeling old thing. It really sucks :(

Good luck!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication