What meds do you take and do they help?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What meds do you take and do they help?

Postby Beckybecks » Mon May 11, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm currently not taking any specific meds for Fibro as I have tried to manage without drugs for most of my life unless absolutely necessary. I'm getting to the stage where I'm fed up with feeling so ill all the time and wondering what meds other people take and whether they have found that they have improved their quality of life at all.
Newly arrived in the UK from Southern Africa
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Re: What meds do you take and do they help?

Postby changeoflife » Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi, after juggling with different combinations, I'm now on gabapentin, co-codamol, iburofen and good ol amitripyline which gives me that so needed sleep. :sleep: Different meds effect people in different ways, and with a bit of help from an understanding GP, you should hopefully find the right combination for you, oh and I almost forgot, a sense of humour and lots of :-D will power
Stand for something or fall for everything!
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Katemayne » Mon May 11, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm on dihydracodine, oramorph and aspirin and I find that they do take the edge of the pain.
Katemayne
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nutradiva » Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I have fresh pineapple, Turmeric, ginger. .. These help with inflammation and pain.. Certain foods cause inflammation and pain. I have tried all the medications and they didn't agree with me. I struggled to get out of bed but I do stretching exercises and cardiovascular exercises and all this is better than any medication. The more you stay in bed or sit the more pain you will be in. Stress can also increase pain. If I didn't do what I do I think I would have been in a wheelchair. I don't like medication because it only considers symptoms rather than the root cause and very often people end up on more and more medication that can cause other damage in the body. We are all different and I would never advocat that you should not take medication but I would say look at foods that reduce inflammation and pain. Stretching exercise is very important and cardiovascular. I don't know anything about you so I would always advise that you take advice from your Gp. All I can say is that I have been in a bad way but feel a lot better with what I do. If I don't maintain this I am very poorly and have to get back into it. Good Luck
Nutradiva
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am

I take cocodamol and Duloxetine (Cymbalta) but until i began taking the last one i was in hell all the time, as everything else i was either allergic too or the side effects were too bizarre that they were making it more difficult to function even within my very limited way.

I also meditate, which helps my body accept whatever discomfort i have and allows me to sleep too.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Milnacipran (most commonly known as Savella in the fibro-world)... and it's taken me right back to where I was before fibro. :) Am pain free, fatigue free and fog free (and free of everything else that came with it, like vision problems and migraines).

(And in case anyone wonders - yes, you can get a prescription for it here in the UK, and yes, it is one of the medications that the NHS recommends for fibro: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx )
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Hayleyed74 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 pm

I take Tramadol, Gabapentin, Nalaxone, Nortriptyline and cocodomal, I was on Targinact too up to a few weeks ago but I've come off them to give my body a break. Also have gel pain patches, tens machine, pain pen and a joint muscle gel rub. I still have problems sleeping, don't ask me how lol should be out for the count with that lot lol. Still have general pain but get less big flare ups
Hayleyed74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Graciespook » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 am

After trying many of the common drugs with either too many side effects or without helping at all, I'm on reltebon (10mg OxyContin) and cyclizine as pain killers or no - I get terrible nausea!
Graciespook
UKFM Newbie

Postby lifeseeker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum however, not new to the Fibromyalgia symptoms increasing pain for many years. Please could someone point me in the right direction of obtaining Savella - how to obtain prescription i.e. is it private or NHS?
Does anyone know of a pharmacy in the UK that dispenses this drug.

Many thanks

Lifeseeker
lifeseeker
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication