[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - severe constipation with lyrica!!

severe constipation with lyrica!!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

severe constipation with lyrica!!

Postby caramia » Mon May 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Have only been taking the lyrica 75mgs twice daily for past 5 days and already really bunged up! I have problems with constipation anyway but even with 2 senokot twice daily still can't go to toilet! Any advice would be welcome!
caramia
UKFM Member

Re: severe constipation with lyrica!!

Postby thoughtmatters » Mon May 25, 2015 4:22 pm

I find I need to drink more water than usual with Lyrica - but not so much that your pee goes clear! That's a danger sign in the opposite direction.

More veggies and legumes help. as they're fibrous. And dried fruit, especially prunes and figs, can get things moving.
thoughtmatters
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 pm

You could try Lactulose or Fibregel. Both available on prescription but I know you can also buy Fibregel over the counter at a chemists. I know what you mean, I've got ibs and find I get 'bunged up' on a regular basis!
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Thank you for your responses , I too have IBS, usually at constipation end of things, not the other end of spectrum. I do have lactulose but can't stand how sweet it is! Have looked it out from back of cupboard though lol! I used to get fybogel but hate the stuff! This side effect probably doesn't help with the fatigue either , feeling sluggish etc :yikes:
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon May 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Caramia, Sorry to here you're all blocked up. Having had severe constipation for 25 years and at one point in my life was taking 5x5mg of Maevac Granules and 2 sachets of Movicol a day for almost 5 years. I've spent years trying to find ways to combat my constipation.

First of all your daily water should be no less than 3 litres, including food. If your overweight, take even more.

Second, find out if your constipation is aided with increased fibre. Some people find they need more fibre in there diet, pulses, wholewheat, porrige etc. A lot of people with IBS follow the FODMAP diet. I find for myself fibre, starch and pulses are huge irritants and actually leave me more bloated and blocked. If fibre is causing more constirpation, opt for lots of green veg instead.

To avoid taking lots of laxatives, as I was, I did two things, I reduced the medication that I felt was contributed to my constipation as much as I possible could, secondly I started taking flaxseed oil and magnesium. Flaxseed oil is good for lubricating the colon and magnesium actually attracts moisture to the colon making the stools softer and easier to pass. Another plus is Magnesium is recommended for fibro symptoms too.

Increasing water, establishing trigger foods that make you worse and trigger foods that help, along with more natural laxatives, is far better for your body, than taking loads of medicated laxatives. Laxatives can prevent the absorption of essential vitamins and minerals, one being very import for Fibro suffers, Vitamin D.

I changed because after years of doctors happily perscribing huge dosages of chemical laxatives to abuse my body with, I now constantly suffer from vitamin D deficiencies, despited an extremely rich diet in Vitamin D. Now I have a long haul recovery to get my bowel to work normally and improve absorption in my gut.

Obviously, in your current situation you cant stop your Lyrica, but you can change your food, water and vitamins/minerals to help improve your chances of having a normal functioning bowel.

Hope this is of some help to you.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:08 pm

I have found a lot of meds cause constipation. Another fun side effect! :mrgreen: Someone on here, apologies can't remember who, suggested using a TENS machine on your stomach. I've not had to try it yet, but am bearing it in mind in case I need to :oops:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Patsb » Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I have to take 4 senokot every few days to open my bowels. They stopped working normally months ago. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication