[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi All,
I am trying Amitriptyline for the second time. 1st time my aughter was just a baby and I felt I was sleeping tosound through then ight andmissing her crying so I stopped. She is 3 now so I have decided to try it again. I'm finding that I'm sleeping too soundly and not moving through the night therefore in the morning I felt like all my bones were broken I could hardly move.

My question is has anyone ever tried to take it through the day and did it work the same? All the advice says to take it early evening but its just not working for me.

Thanks as always

Gayle
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby carolad » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Why have you been prescribed it? If it is to help you sleep better, it sounds like it is doing a good job....but possibly too good a job! Maybe you could try to cut down the dose? I wouldn't recommend taking it during the day though because I think it would leave you too wiped out to function.

If you have been prescribed it to help with pain, maybe it isn't the right thing for you....but if you can, give it a few weeks to get into your system before giving up on it.

I take it to help with sleep and it definitely helps. I was on 30mg for a few years and getting about 3-4 hours sleep a night. I have recently increased it to 50mg and am now getting around 5 hours sleep most nights.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Tired18 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi
I take Amitriptyline 50mg at night to help get some sleep due to problems with my spine and arthritis in other joints. I find it does work by relaxing the muscles. It does take a few weeks to be come used to it so it's worth persevering if you can.

Good Luck
Tired18
UKFM Newbie

Postby lizashfield » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

I cannot sleep without taking Amitriptyline. It does make you drowsy but I need to relax more so it's good for me. Why don't you try experimenting with the time that you take it (as long as you are not driving)? If it doesn't suit you after a few weeks, then go back to your doctor. We all seem to react differently to different medicines so it might be that something else suits you more.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby susie901 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi I am trying for the second time. Problem I h ave is I can't wake up in the morning and I feel like I've gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Makes me feel totally wiped out. I only take 10mg at about 8pm but I suppose I get a good nights sleep!
susie901
UKFM Newbie

Postby changeoflife » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi, I take 20mg about 6pm, it gives me a good sound sleep till about 8am. I also take 2 co-codamol and 2 ibuprofen for pain relief, the combination gives me pain relief and a decent sleep. It may be that you need to try to take them earlier so that they have time to wear off and be ready for the fight the next day :-D I'm also on gabapentin 1200mg during the day for pain relief.
Stand for something or fall for everything!
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Anuib6 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi, i have taken 50mgs of Amitriptyline now for at least four years only at night for my arthritis & pain + Fibro.
The doctor did try not so long ago to bring me down so he could cut them out altogether but it didn't work specially as i felt terrible, then he tried giving me 25mgs & anti-depressants but that was worse & now i am back on the 50mgs for my pain & sleep.I think i am probably addicted to them now, some people say you can't be but i think you can. I am now taking Gabapentin for Sciatica which with everything else i take ( for others things) knocks me out completely, now i sleep well.
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Postby fitbit » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 pm

You can take half the tablet at 6pm no later that should help.
fitbit
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 pm

I found Amit left me very woozy and out of it the next morning until about noon, and I was taking it before 6pm! I couldn't take it any earlier as I had to drive home from work. It doesn't suit everyone.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby bandj » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm

I find amitriptylline really helpful. I take it about 6pm and it works for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't suit everyone. It's a case of trying different medication to find what suits you best.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carlysmum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:53 pm

hi,im currently on 50mg amitytriptyline a night and as of yet it has no effect on me whatsoever! i also take sertraline for depression and have tramadol and co codamol for pain relief,and none seem to be having any effect whatsoever,i have noticed no change in pain or sleep,hope u can sort it huni and feel better xx :cry:
carlysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elly » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 pm

My 29 yr old daughter who is severely disabled and can not talk is on amitrip,
This forum has helped me understand her as she experiences things like not moving all night so I knew she wud b in pain next morning, this forum has proved my thoughts so it helped me too to do the best caring for her. Thanks.
Elly
UKFM Newbie

Postby mica32 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I have only recently been diagnosed an been put on 5-10 mc at tea time,I do some times feel like it's hard to wake up but I was feeling that way any way before but I am now able to fall asleep more easily which was my main problem an don't wake as easily through the night from pain,I think it does all depends on the individual,I would talk to your doctor if you feel you are having a problem an they may be able to give you some thing else that may work better x
mica32
UKFM Newbie

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi,
Thanks all for the replies!
I was given them for chronic headaches and sleeping problems. I tried taking them at 6pm as suggested but I still feel a hangover from them until lunchtime and taking them any earlier made me fall asleep at tea time.
I still dont know whether to persevere or not - is it worth the hassle? It only 10mg I'm on - I dont know how you all function on 50mg. I do though take tramadol and gabapentin as well as codeine and paracetamol.
Thanks again
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:14 pm

So I gave up on the Amitripyline for a second time.
My mood swings have gotten so bad I feel like I have permanent PMT. I'm not sleeping very well but I'm exhausted and my limbs as well as being painful now feel like lead.
The doctor has given me Hydroxyzine to try - has anyone ever tried it?

xxx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication