[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Long term effects of meds

Long term effects of meds

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Long term effects of meds

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:52 am

I am wondering if anyone else has considered the long term effects of medications.

A lot of the med prescribed for fibro actually present the same side effects as the symptoms we are taking them for. Confusing at the least.

I am currently on no med after 25 years of various medications, one was fentanyl patches at a high dose for 8 years. I dreaded going off the fentanyl but I did. It was not easy in the last weeks.

So now, because of the meds over the years I have issues with both my liver and kidneys. My endocrine system is all out of sync. If I knew 25 years ago what would happen I never would have taken the medications.

I realize that this is only my opinion on my journey, however, should we be asking more questions about long term effects of some meds. Let's face it fibro is not going away and we could be on medications for many years.

Just something to ponder on.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Long term effects of meds

Postby Chickenosaurus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 am

I've been taking Co-codamol 30/500 for approximately 14 years now.
Have they done me long-term damage? No idea.
Have they made my life enjoyable? Yes, definitely! :-)

I have tried other 'painkillers' (though actually codeine disrupts the messages & perception & can be regarded as not a typical 'painkiller')
Am I habituated (i.e. medication has less of an effect than before) yes - but the results tapered off to a near uniform 'standard'.

Am I addicted? Depends on definition - see habituation for lessening of effect. As for 'need to take' - nope, not at all.

If I am pain free (e.g. if I go on holiday to a warm climate) I can cut right down - if I'm not in pain I have no desire to take medication.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 am

I worry because i have been taking tablets for so long, I have not looked at pregab yet but it's like anything, you have to weigh up benefit versus negatives.

Even before the fibro diagnosis I have taken various NSAIDs, but mostly ibruprofen every day along with paracetamol and codeine for most of my 52 years. In my late teens early 20's I took volterol and anything else to try and maintain some normality of young life. For 8 years aspirin daily dose added. I have only been on pregab for 4/5 months.

The point is, I always dread blood tests, waiting for them to show battered liver or kidneys. However I am perfectly normal, no problems, apart from the one bit that tends to be increased if you have been taking NSAIDs or drank alcohol within 24 hours of a blood test. However, this has never changed and is well within normal range.

I worry about my stomach and when I see the doc next, need to mention it, I keep forgetting.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby sue cooper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am

In 1967 I was in an accident & sustained many injuries, the worst a fracture in my spine at T4. I have been on strong painkillers on/off since then, having sustained two further injuries to my C 5 6 7 & 3 bulging lumbar discs. I also have RSD & FM both of which are throughout my body. I am now on a massive dosage of various meds to include Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, Tramdol & Paracetamol...without all these meds I just would not be able to lead a sustainable & acceptable level that helps me to get around for at least 2/3 days, whilst the other days am virtually housebound because my acitivity on the 2/3 days leaves me wiped out the next day. Do I worry about the side effects? I can't becuase if I did I wouldn't take any! I do have regular bloods taken to check if al is well.

It has to be a balancing act between able to at least try to have some 'normality' (whatever that is now, haven't a clue) & managing my disabilities.
sue cooper
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for this, Whoami, you've just confirmed for me that I'm right to manage without meds for as long as I can.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Lucylastik » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm

“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:45 pm

I agree with every post and it is a personal decision. I certainly would not judge anyone for how they treat their illness, I am just giving food for thought.

It is true that my quality of life has gone backwards but I am looking at the long term effects. I already have had strong med for 25 years and hope to be around for another 25. I have a couple of better days a week and still after all these years haven't learned not to over do it on those days. The one thing I have noticed is waking up daily with a headache, starts the day

I hope everyone can find a way to be comfortable with their situation. Many of us have other conditions also and fibro can just make them worse.

My friend is in a long term care home and hooked up to a permanent IV. The other day we went to see her and she was sitting looking out of an open window. We watched for a moment before saying hello. When we asked what she was looking at she smiled and said...life! she then said watch and listen to those leaves blowing in the wind, look and see the birds taking seeds from those feeders.........isn't life beautiful?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Redminx » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 am

Hi regardin long term use of meds I was on co-codomal 30/500 for 15 yrs for a back problem.
came off them completely when I was put on Amytriptyline for my fibro. Ive had no lower back pai as long as i stay in the Amytriptyline. The fibro is another story i try and cut down but have to go back up and im never pain free altogether .
Redminx
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication