[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Cutting down amitriptyline + general moan. lol

Cutting down amitriptyline + general moan. lol

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cutting down amitriptyline + general moan. lol

Postby FionaG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having a rough few days, especially today, so I hope you don't mind me venting. :(

I only got diagnosed at the end of last year after years of symptoms and fighting with docs who kept trying to dismiss me, and considering most docs have been pretty useless and told me near to nothing about fibro, I feel that on the whole I've been dealing quite well with this sucky life-changing thing. It's really been getting to me this week though...

Very basically, I've had 3 jobs in the past year, all of which I've been very good at and really enjoyed, but because they were causing me more pain I had to give them up and try something else. My most recent one I was advised to leave at the end of April 'due to ill health' and my bosses couldn't really alter my duties at all, which was a shame (they were very nice about it all though). So anywho, I now can't work full time so I'm trying to claim ESA and PIP, although I'm doing some self employed work from home. It's still not enough though so I'm quite possibly going to have to sell my beautiful wee flat that I love and find somewhere smaller since I'm struggling to pay my mortgage. I'm heartbroken, as I love my home and feel like it's yet another thing that I love that's potentially going to be taken away from me. :(

As for the amitriptyline cut down - I was started on 10mg, then 20mg, then 30mg, and have stayed on 40mg for the past 2/3 months. I find it REALLY difficult to get up in the mornings though, and almost feel paralysed in my bed because I have absolutely NO energy to move! So I wondered if cutting down the amitriptyline might help, so just took 30mg last night. Ironically, I found it even harder to get up this morning and couldn't make it out my bed til after 12 and I'm totally drained today and still really really sore. I have had a really busy few weeks though, so I don't know if it's just coincidental and the additional pain/fatigue is just me hitting a brick wall. Has anyone else cut down their amitriptyline and, if so, how did you feel? I'm wondering if it's worth persevering with the 30mg or not.

Again, sorry for the vent. I usually manage to stay pretty cheery, but I feel I can't talk to family/friends about it as they wouldn't fully understand. So any help/advice would be very welcome. Thank you, and sending gentle hugs to you all. xxx
FionaG
UKFM Member

Re: Cutting down amitriptyline + general moan. lol

Postby Chickenosaurus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Fiona, I'm afraid I'm not much help to you regarding Amitrriptyline as I didn't even manage to get to 10mg! Near-homeopathic doses sent me into a stupor and I had to give it up as I was becoming a danger to myself. It is a 'sedating' medication - my cat's on 5mg a day for all his anxieties (I think he must have had a traumatic childhood! ) and it works wonders with him.

Are you on any other medications? I find Prozac/fluoxetine helps with the fatigue, and so did Gabapentin. If I'm not as fatigued I can move about more, which reduces the pain. Is there a pain clinic near to you? They can be really useful at juggling medications, recommending other strategies and just meeting people who understand what it's like.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:49 pm

So sorry Fiona

know how you feel, we are getting our house ready for sale, it makes me want to cry everytime I look at our view knowing we can't have that anymore. I can't work and the bills are high plus its too big anyway for me to manage.

Drugs wise pregablin is mine of choice along with ibruprofen and parrots :) I have tried one dose of amyl and I did sleep better but my tongue was superglued to the roof of my mouth and all my arthritic joints beggered. I need to move around alot so best I just accept that getting up and moving around is the way it needs to be, for me. This would be no use if I had to go to work.

My dad swears by half a 25mg each night, he wakes up to move around but he says it helps him go back to sleep. Just enough he says, infact I may try his half idea.

The feeling paralysed, fuggy, missing and in pain is normal for FM, you are probably stressing and it always makes things worse.

Apply for ESA at the DWP site, initial application by phone and list everything you have been diagnosed with. You will probably get income or contribution based. You need to also apply for all other benefits you can get assume you are not able to work because that is how it is. I don't know about all the others but there are some. i suspect they will only come to £144 per week at most which means you still have a mortgage problem. If you lived in rented you would get housing benefit, you may still get some, worth a try depends where you live.

Sorry missed of PIP which is on top but people are waiting months if not years and still getting turned down, so apply but don't depend on getting it in your plans :(

Good luck, thinking of you XX
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Redminx » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi I am on 50mg of Amytriptyline at night at the moment but do get down to one sometimes im at 3 tabs a night. It doesnt make me sleepy. If i am doing too much then I do get really tired more so and also more pain in the morning. I really recommend exercise as i do feel a big difference in my pain and can also cut down on the co-codamol too.
Redminx
UKFM Member

Postby bubbapower » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 pm

I have just come off Amitripyline and feel so much better for it. I was originally taking 25mg a night but this was increased to 35mg as it didn't seem to be giving me any benefit.
Not long after that the night terrors started. Being pinned down and unable to move. People whispering in my ear that they were going to get me and then holding me down. I couldn't speak or shout out. I felt like I was thrashing around trying to get whoever it was, off me. After one particular episode, my wife said I was mumbling and moving very slightly, whereas I felt I was thrashing around and shouting at the top of my voice.
If I didn't get a night terror, I woke up every hour or so with my heart pounding out of my chest and short of breath.
I was always very sluggish when I took them, when I stopped I felt like a fog had been lifted. I feel more focused and alert since coming off them.
I told my doc and she took me off them straight away and put me onto gabapentin. Just waiting to see if these are going to work for me. Only been taking them for 4 weeks so far.
I don't think I can advise you to come off them as we are all different, but it did improve things for me when I did.
I hope things improve for you. :-D
bubbapower
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 pm

I got up to 40mg a night and that works well for me. But everyone is different and it takes time to find what works for you.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication