What meds do you take at night?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What meds do you take at night?

Postby Genevieve489 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:26 am

At the moment, the only medication I take for Fibro is 25mg Nortriptyline at night. During the day, and before I go to bed, I take Paracetamol. Over the past couple of weeks, and last night, I have had a few bad nights - insomnia, restless legs and pain in my legs and feet. This is partly Fibro, but I also have pain from hip bursitis. I had steroid injections for this back in March, which worked well, but now the pain is creeping back again.

I know if I go back to my doctor he will tell me to up the Nortriptyline to 50mg, but I'm loathe to do this, as I don't like the side effects at this level. I don't have any side effects with 25mg.

I'd be interested to know what medication others take at night and maybe some advice on what I can discuss with my doctor.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: What meds do you take at night?

Postby Garyl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:50 am

My Doctor has prescribed a night time cocktail i take 2 dihydrocodine tablets 30 mg 30 mins before bed and just before getting in bed i take 2 500 mg paracetamol tablets they seem to help 4 nights out of 7, saying that it does depend on the stress i am under during the day
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 am

On the nights that I need to sleep a full 3 hour block before midnight (need to be awake and functioning by 6am) I take 75mg pregab, 2xparacetamol, 400mg ibruprofen and 2x30mg codiene. This ensures up to 4 hours.

Non druggy night. I still take lyrica (essential for stabbing pain and spasm removal) and ibruprofen so I can relax abit and stay awake til I feel I can sleep usually around 4am. Take more ibruprofen. The later method usually gets me 6 hours with only partial wake ups. No good if you have to be up for work/partners work/deliveries/decorators/dog/kids etc. ;-)

Just a note.

When I first started on lyrica it made me dopey and knocked the stuffing out of my thinking abilities. However, I limited the dose and very gradually introduced it to a level that I can tolerate without significant side effects. Given the massive gains from this drug, for me, the side effects are not a deal breaker. I just have to accept the way I am now. At least I can engage in life abit without the all consuming pain and fear of more stabbing, crippling,pain. I still have overall pain but I can manage this, wish it was not there but have lived with it a long time.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi, I take 75mg Amitriptyline, 120mg Dihydrocodeine and 30/500 mg tablets during the night if needed. Sometimes they work, sometimes I have a night like last night when I got about two hours sleep over about three small sessions of sleeping.

Hope you fare better.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Ugh, nothing anymore. None of the fibro meds help me sleep. I was taking 5-htp which was helping, but can't take that with my AD.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Genevieve489 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Thank you all very much for your replies. Feeling unwell and in pain today after another poor night last night. Thinking back, I did raise the Nortriptyline to 50mg for a while a few months ago and I can remember that I still had some bad nights. Maybe, like you, Zia, I've just got to learn to cope with it. I did mention Co-codamol to the GP the last time I saw him, but he wasn't very happy with this, feeling I'd be much better raising the Nortriptyline dosage. He didn't offer me anything else.

However, it's very interesting to see what other medications people are on, so that's certainly given me food for thought I'll be going back to my GP and see what he says.

Thank you.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:42 pm

My GP is the same. He doesn't like giving me anything for sleep, he really doesn't get how badly I get it. I've had insomnia on and off for years yet with fibro it's so much worse!

I begged him for sleeping pills when I was still working just so I could drive to work safely, and got 2 weeks' worth. He said he would never give them to me again :(

That's why I looked up melatonin and 5-htp. The former is prescribed in some areas so you might as well try and ask for that as it's what out bodies naturally produce and there is a good argument that those with fibro don't make as much. Because it's naturally made by your body I think GPs should prescribe it, but in my county they won't. Worth a shot though! 5-htp I got from Holland and Barrett, and that helps your body make melatonin, so along the same lines.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dejay » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:56 pm

I realy feel for every one that can not sleep,I must be the only one with fibro that can sleep, I take 50mg amitriptyline at 9 oclock then i go to bed and read for about an hour or maybe longer then I settle down and usualy sleep till 7 am, every now and again I will wake up but if I lie still I go back to sleep, I have an afternoon nap as well, on the setee with my dogs, they go to bed at night with me as well,Is that the answer,but I do have my pain in the day,so I am not getting away with every thing,My best wishes to all who do not sleep,I wish I had an answer for you all, I dont wish to make anyone feel bad reading this,because I suffer other ways,love to all I hope you find an answer,
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby sheppy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 am

my doctor gave me some phenergan to help sleep, they can take a while to kick in but i sleep all night with them
sheppy
UKFM Member

Postby HealingWishes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and this is the 1st day I've had energy to write a post!

At night I take: 10mg Baclofen,
70mg Amitriptyline &
7.5mg Zopiclone

I was recently confirmed to have FMS & CFS after battling with doctors for a diagnosis for well over 5 years since my symptoms first started appearing and getting progressively worse. It took being bedridden with the most painful, debilitating flare ever and becoming genuinely suicidal before I finally got believed, diagnosed & offered any treatment. I only started taking any Fibro-related meds about a month ago so they may get altered or added to in the future, but so far I find my night-time concoction to be a huge help and very effective at relieving my chronic insomnia, muscle spasms/cramps/tightness/stiffness/aches, back pain, restless legs, anxiety etc etc etc... ;-) :sleep: X
HealingWishes
UKFM Newbie

Postby Harper27 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 am

Old thread I know, bit I just wanted to share anyways. At night I take

Pregabalin 150mg
Diazepam 2mg
Methocarbamol (can't remember dosage)
Omeprazole 20mg
Morphine 30mg (ER)
Promethazine if I still can't sleep on all these meds!

I also take Tramadol for breakthrough pain, sometimes taking them during the night if I get any breakthrough pain. Sertraline, Mebeverine for stomach cramps, and a few medications for POTS, Ivabradine, Midodrine and Fludrocortisone. Totalling 12 meds xx
Harper27
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication