[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Anyone tried alternative treatments that work??

Anyone tried alternative treatments that work??

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone tried alternative treatments that work??

Postby MissMouse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:41 am

A friend sent me this link.

I have read it with great interest and certainly the stress part. My son has Aspergers amongst other things and life is very stressful for me.

Just wondering what you think after reading this?

http://womansvibe.com/the-cure-to-fibro ... u-to-know/
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone tried alternative treatments that work??

Postby thoughtmatters » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:08 pm

So all I need to be cured in three weeks is some anger management and a few herbs? Would that it were so!

From my own experience, dealing with emotional issues is great for leading a happy life, no matter what the circumstances. But I'm not sure that over-simplifying fibromyalgia down to lactic acid buildup from repressed anger is the whole story.

As for alternative treatments, I have been taking 5-HTP, which is an amino acid, and finding that it helps somewhat with sleep and stiffness. It works by increasing seretonin production in the body, and clinical trials are showing that it helps for some people.
thoughtmatters
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Well, the article does have some good information, especially in my case confirming that what I've always referred to as 'the 'burn' is actually muscle burn and caused by something that happens to others (though I bet for them it's not 100% of the time) Trust me, it's very important to me to have my own conclusions verified as my family are forever trying to contradict, negate and otherwise belittle/disbelieve I feel the way I do despite all evidence to the contrary.
Last edited by UnderSiege on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby MissMouse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm sorry.....maybe my original post could be deleted if its offending people. I'm new to this fybro thing and just wanted opinions on alternative treatments.

Admin?
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi, I read the article and do agree that any stress, no matter what the cause, is detrimental for any one with a chronic health condition. Whether it can be ss simple as eliminating stress, I just don't know. I do know how hard it can be to get rid of all stress, though.
For myself, I find a deep muscle massage helps keep my back and neck moving. Aloe Vera colon cleanser helps the ibs.
keeping busy with my craft helps too. If all else fails, there's always chocolate!!! [chocolate] :-) :-)
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:19 am

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Syder » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:04 pm

I've recently changed my diet to very low fat and no gluten, together with taking multi-vitamins and having regular reflexology. For me this has really helped and I feel 100% better. Oh, at the same time I also reduced my mediation because I felt the side effects were making the condition worse.

I know this may not help some people, but it's worked for me.
Syder
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi, I read the article with interest. As an ex-mental health nurse and from my own experience, I do bekueve that negative stress impacts on our physical health. As people living with chronic pain and fatigue, ee are already suffering a degree of stress. We do, or I do, need to minimise stress loads as best we can. I know that is not essy to do but it's good to try. We may be unable to lose some of the stress we are under dud to outside influences. For example, when our prescriptions are messed up again by the surgery I feel like tearing my hair out! It happens quite often and I'm the one running around trying to sort it all out. I do try to stay calm and not get frustrated and stressed but it isn't easy!

There are a couple of things I find that help me, a monthly massage helps keep my back and neck mobile. Aloe vera colon cleanser helps calm the ibs down. And when I get stressec hubby and Lukey (the dog) are great with hugs.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby MissMouse » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Seems maybe a sensible diet goes a long way to helping and getting away from stress...if only!!!
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Postby AlisonL » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi Miss Mouse
- diet certainly plays a role - I had to go all the way through FODMAP (developed for IBS) to find out the foods that trigger flare-ups. Makes sense - IBS inflames the bowel, inflammations spreads?

But stress also triggers flare-ups - and it's not always possible to walk away from. If you can carve even a little time out for some mindfulness exercises that could help.

So does massage but can be expensive.
Water born exercise - Aqua Aerobics or Aqua Zumba worth considering.

If you can get to London consider asking to be referred to the Royal Hospital for Integrated Medicine (used to be the Royal Homoeopathic) who offer a course for fibro patients integrating homepathy, psychotherapy and physiotherapy etc.

You might have other triggers - over exertion, too much screen-time, whatever - try and identify and modify as much as you can.
Good luck!
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication