Newbie to FM and Gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie to FM and Gabapentin

Postby Dazz75 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi

I am new to Fibromyalgia after a long process but now i know the cause of the huge amount of symptoms i am getting, and what comes with FM i can start to manage it. I have been on 120mg Duloxetine for while and started taking Amitriptyline a few months ago, only a very low dose 10mg at night. I found after several experiments with the time to take it i worked out 6:30pm was the best time so by 11pm i was dropping off to sleep. They were great at doing the job, kept me asleep however they made me really exhausted the following day as if i didn't have a refreshing sleep. I have chatted with the GP who has changed to Gabapentin about 2 weeks ago started low and increased as any of you may be aware but i feel great at the moment. I have less anxiety due to the pain, i still have the pains but i seem to cope with them better, i used to get really irritable at the slightest noise causing unbearable headaches which then led to a flare up of hip leg pains. Sorry to waffle i am not sure what to expect on a forum.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Gabapentin, does the drowsiness go after time and has it helped anyone else?
today i found i had uncontrollable twitches in both legs and arms, well i could call them a jerk because they were sudden and shocking. i guess this is a side effect. I had arm and leg jerks before starting them but this was more intense.

Also forgot to say, do i feel great because it is a new medication that my body likes as it did when i first started taking Tramadol.

thanks for reading , Darren
Dazz75
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie to FM and Gabapentin

Postby KymmieRAE92 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Hey Dazz

I've been diagnosed for 2years but suffered for 4; ive been on Gabapentin for about 18 months now and it's been successful. It takes a month or two to fully get used to but combined with naproxin I find works a treat. It's stopped my nerve endings being so over sensitive including my tender spots, my fatigues not as bad either! The only downfall I have is that it doesn't help with fibro fog as it can make me a little more confused and concentration levels aren't the best but pain wise it's a definite winner.

They are currently trialing antidepressants combined with gabapentin to boost mood and fatigue however this did not show any effects so I came off it. Defo worth riding out the side affects for now though dude as the benefits once it settles are brilliant.

Hope this helps?
KymmieRAE92
UKFM Newbie

Postby mamamaka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:07 am

I gave up gabapentin as I would literally sleep standing up. ... but everyone is different so they may settle down for you. .... I'm on duloxetine and amitriptyline, along with naproxen, paracetamol and oxycodone..... It seems to be working atm :)
Good luck finding the right cocktail to help you through x
mamamaka
UKFM Member

Postby Anna30 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 am

I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia/cfs and osteoarthritis in my lower spine. I am in alot of wide spread body pain and other symptoms I am yet to get any any relief I have hydrotherapy once a week and I am on anti inflammatory tablets and pain meds which ain't working but reason I am limited is because I have epilepsy. I don't know what else to do x
Anna30
UKFM Newbie

Postby marie marrison » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:46 pm

I have been on galapin for 20 months on 900 mg and it is the best thing that my gp has done for me I still have very bad day but overall I can function needs better
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication