[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help needed gabapentin side effects!

Help needed gabapentin side effects!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help needed gabapentin side effects!

Postby Mandae » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have had fibro for 4 years but only diagnosed last week :(
I started Gabapentin 100mg 3times A day yesterday. I have some side effects like headache, indigestion, feel a bit stange and can't concentrate on anything. All of these I can handle, but today my legs feel strange when I stand up and walk around they feel like they don't want to support me and could give way any second.
Please can anyone tell me if they have this side affect on these I find it a bit concerning.
Mandae
UKFM Member

Re: Help needed gabapentin side effects!

Postby HayleyJayne » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 am

hiya . Im on gabapentin and have been since diagnosed 7 months ago after struggling for 14 years.
The Symptoms sound more like your fibro flaring up rather than the medication although the stomach indigestion could be not eating enough before taking your meds .
HayleyJayne
UKFM Newbie

Postby marie marrison » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 am

I I have ben on galapatin for over two years on 900 mg, and yet some time I get a few side effect but unfortunately there isn`t a lot I can do about it I suggest that you go back to your gp and ask for something else there is over drugs for us suffers which my suit you best :lol:
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby clubsound4 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 am

Hi, I have been on Gabepentin for nearly two years, 600 x 3 daily ,,the only side effects I have had are slightly swollen feet which has settled,go back to your gp, maybe try something different, but do explain your concerns , good luck, ;-)
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby Anuib6 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:18 am

hi, I have had Fibro for at least 8 years now & have had nothing to treat it, I see people worried about Gabapentin,I have both types of arthritis & both knees replaced, at the moment I'm taking Gabapentin for Sciatica under my doctors but I have now had to start coming down from 1800 ml a day as I have had nasty reactions like swollen ankles bloating indigestion & worst of all a terrible terrible illusions & bad thoughts especially at night.
With this drug, a pain blocker + used for fits & convulsions & the like you must slowly come down from them & not stop them dead as the consequences are great. I still have awful sciatica but the tablets are supposed to block the pain did nothing for me except bad dreams & the like. :roll:
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Postby Roni1970 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:38 am

I've had Fibro for 10 years (combined with degenerative disease in my neck) and the MATS team advised my Doctor to prescribe Gabapentin. I've been on it a year now - 2700mg a day (300mg x 3 x 3 times a day) and there is only one pro to Gabapentin and that is it helps take the pain away but not the ache. However the side effects are plentiful. Dry mouth, dizziness, sore jaw and teeth problems, loss of concentration and memory (though the Fibro adds to that) eating more, headaches, unco-ordinated...these are to name but a few that I have been suffering.

The pain clinic advised me to come off Gabapentin slowly and given me Nortripyline 50mg to replace the Gaba's.

I have been off the Gabapentin for week and it has been agonising. Of course I am moody as hell because I'm not sleeping. The good news is my head, for the first time in a year, feels clearer. I know about Fibro fog but the Gaba can make this worse.

I now have to weigh up whether I should start taking Gabapentin again or not. 75% swayed on the Gabapentin side.

My old Doctor (who I wish I could name and shame) told me "You either take the side effects or have the pain." Would rather have had a change in medication but she was unwilling.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby Tessa2373 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:39 pm

I've been on gabapentine for about 3 years now for fibromyalgia and nerve damage pain in various parts of me as well as sciatica. It helps with the pain but not the constant ache. I take 4 x 300 3 times a day (3600). The side effects have been weight gain, brain fog and indegestion. I suggest you see the doc again as there are other types like amytripalyn and pregabalin which might suit you better. Good luck xx
Tessa2373
UKFM Member

Postby Mandae » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Mandae
UKFM Member

Postby Redminx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:11 am

Hi I have never been on this med at all but sounds like its not for u so i would look to change.
Redminx
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:41 am

What you have described are all different side effects that have been experienced by others at various times. If you use the search box in the top~right corner of each page, it will bring up all references to Gabapentin. It might be worth trying and having a bit of looky at what others have experienced and how they have managed them until things start to settle back down, which is what tends to happen for most.

Gabapentin does need time to build up in the system, which takes time. The dosage also tends to be increased over a suitable period of time until the prescribed/max amount is reached. Whilst some can feel a benefit after a month, six weeksish, for others it can take up to 3 months for a difference to be noticed. And for some, it makes very little or no difference to them, whereas others have found they are unable to take it. The only way to see if it is {or isn't} suitable for you is to give it a good try and see how things go with it.

If you are finding the side effects difficult to deal with, a word with your GP or local pharmacist could help as they may be able suggest/provide ways to make them a touch more manageable.

Wrt Amitriptyline, it doesn't suit everyone unfortunately. For those who find they can't take it, an alternative, Nortriptyline can be a more suitable option. Nortriptyline is a sister med of Amitriptyline, so works in the same sort of way, but is said to have fewer side effects and be better tolerated, so might be another option to ask your GP about.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication