Gabapentin and/or Nortripyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin and/or Nortripyline

Postby Roni1970 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 am

Is anyone taking Gabapentin and Nortripyline at the same time?

The pain clinic told me to come off Gabapentin because we thought it was having no effect - I soon found out Gabapentin does take the pain away but not the ache and tiredness. Being off them is like being in Hell.

The consultant also changed my Amitriptyline to 50mg of Nortripyline. Since being on the Nors I have found my mood has lifted and I am a hell of a lot less anxious but it does nothing for my pain. Well not the pain in my neck or joints.

I dont want to stop taking the Nors but my Doctor said you cant take Gabapentin and Nortripyline at the same time. Is this right?

I ask because I dont have a good track record with Doctors. My old Doctors told me the reason my neck was sore was because my hair was too long. I had it all cut off. Turns out I have degenerative disease in my neck.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Re: Gabapentin and/or Nortripyline

Postby AB1967 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 am

I recently had to visit to the pain clinic at my local Hospital & I was prescribed with low doses of Noritryptaline (10mg at night) & Pregabalin (150mg morning & night). I am expected to try to increase these over time to 50mg & 300mg however I have found that the 10mg & 225mg at night is working for sleep, still taking the 150mg in the morning as I was finding that I seemed to random sleep any time after 10am. I should add that I am also taking 200mg slow release Tramadol in the morning & at night.

The Noritryptaline is more to help you have a restful sleep. I imagine you take 1 before you go to sleep? Best taken an hour or so before going to bed for best results.

Instead of Gabapentin ask your Doctor if you can be put on PreGabalin. I've found that both of these are hit or miss & really do take a few weeks of altering when they are taken to reach a point where you feel like they are taking effect. Gabapentin, even in a low dose, can cause random sleeps (or it did for me) & is best taken when there are no plans to leave home for a few days. PreGabalin can be the same but I found that this is better for easing pains during the day, but again must be tried to get a level you feel is working & you are happy with.

I hope this is of some help to you. Good Luck.
AB1967
UKFM Newbie

Postby LynnD » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm

I was on Gabapentin until I saw the consultant at the pain clinic who told me to come off it as it was no good for Fibro. I was on it for years gradually increased dosage up to 3600mg a day. i took it with nortriptyline 25mg to help me sleep but found it took too long to wear off next day. I then went on to pregabalin 150mg twice daily and increased to 300mg twice a day. It was great for the pain but I was randomly falling asleep eating my dinner/mid conversation and latterly while driving!' I had to come off it. I now only take dihydrocodeine 30/500 up to 4 times a day. Since stopping most of my meds I haven't felt this good in a long long time. I was also diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea and now use a CPAP machine at night ..... Less tired during th day and feel almost human again !!
LynnD
UKFM Newbie

Postby Roni1970 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I take 50mg Nortripyline a night and find it does nothing to help me sleep. I dont find the Gabapentin helps with my Fibro but it does sort of help with the pain in my neck. Thank you all for your messages, they were very helpful.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby stodgers » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 pm

I am on both and have never been told they can't be taken together. I asked when first prescribed gabapentin
stodgers
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication