[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - NAPROXEN

NAPROXEN

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

NAPROXEN

Postby Joan 100 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 pm

I started naproxen on Friday 500mg twice a day as the co-codamol I had been taking as and when needed was not strong enough any more and also gave me terrible constipation. ( I refused an antidepressant that the rheumatologist offered me when I was first diagnosed as I didn't want to suffer the side effects) So having relapsed I was given this and told I may get an upset stomach. What an underestimation I've had so many bad side effects and no pain relief so I stopped taking it today. Kidney pain, stomach pain, lots of night time urination, insomnia, to name a few, I just wondered if any one else has had bad side effects on this medication :?: the doc said if I needed to I could go back and they would give me a course of steroid anti inflammatory's but I don't think its a good idea. Are the steroid ones any better or worse :?:
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Re: NAPROXEN

Postby chrissyntax » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi, I have recently been taken off Naproxen, I had been taking it for WAY over a year with the omeprazole, (stomach protector you HAVE to take along side it), however last time I was at the doctors and saw a doctor I dont usually see she was shocked to see how long I had been taking it for. She ledt to talk to one of the partners of the practice, when she came back she wanted to know who subscribed them etc..it was like the spanish inquisition!! Anyhoo I found out that naproxen is classed as a short term medication because it can have a bad effect on your liver. About the antidepressant, if it was amitriptyline them its only classed as that if you are taking a high dose...in smaller doses it has a muscle relaxant and aids sleep, I have been on them over a year now and it really does help me. If in doubt I would recommend having a chat with your gp about your concerns...its always best to check.
chrissyntax
UKFM Newbie

Postby Joan 100 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 pm

[quote="chrissyntax"]Hi, I have recently been taken off Naproxen, I had been taking it for WAY over a year with the omeprazole, (stomach protector you HAVE to take along side it),[quote="chrissyntax"] Thats interesting I wasn't given a stomach protector just the Naproxen and told to take paracetamol. I'm really not keen on taking medication I take thyroxine for an underactive thyroid/vit d and antibiotics because I have no choice but I'd like to find another way to deal with the Fibro symptoms I just need to find some alternatives. I've tried Tai Chi and it made things worse so I had to stop. The naproxen has really put me off medication.
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Postby Roni1970 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 pm

My old Doctor prescribed me Naproxen and I was on it for 2 years without being prescribed Omeprazole. I suffered with continued acid and stomach pain issues because of their stupidity. They told me to take the medication or have the pain and so-say referred me to the pain clinic. A month later, when I inquired about the referral, I was told she had not sent it. I should have known, this was the doctors surgery who told me the reason my neck was agonising - was because my hair was too long (I have degenerative disease in my neck - confirmed by MRI)

My new doctor changed the Naproxen to Meloxicam and it works so much better. I also have omeprazole. Thankfully I have lost a lot of the side effects from the Naproxen (Ringing in the ears was a curse)
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby Nyks » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi

I've had Fibromyalgia for 24 years. The first 5 years I was on Surgam, then Diclofenac Sodium for 12 years and now Naproxen for 7 years, you HAVE to take Omiprozole with it or it will cause stomach ulcers and bleeding of the stomach lining.

I found the comments here interesting as I need to pee for England come bedtime. I can be up 8 or 9 times during the night for a pee so I don't get much sleep, never thought it might be the Naproxen.

Hope you get something sorted soon :)
Nyks
UKFM Newbie

Postby juliekp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi. I have been on naproxen for about a year alongside omeprazole. I was questioned by the pharmacist when I picked up my last prescription about the length of time Iv been on it. I am back with doctor next week. I will ask him about it. I hope you can get some relief somehow. Hugs.
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby Joan 100 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 am

Joan 100
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication