Diazepam question. Please help.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diazepam question. Please help.

Postby Hazelcat » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi,

I've been prescribed diazepam for shoulder tightness/spasm. I was told to start with taking 1 2mg tablet along with paracetamol, naproxen and codeine. I didn't find 1 diazepam helpful, so I have since taken 2. I'm finding it is making me feel very tired for an hour or so but after that the pain is still there, however the spasm/twitching has eased a little. Is this normal or should it be helping more? I'm reluctant to go back to the GP incase they don't prescribe me anything else.
Last edited by Hazelcat on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hazelcat
UKFM Newbie

Re: Diazepam.

Postby AlisonL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems.
GPs are not meant to prescribe Diazepam for longer than two weeks, as it is highly addictive. So yes, go back and they will probably offer something else. Personally, I wish my GP would let me have diazepam more often because it helps me relax/sleep, but I can only get 14 at a time about three times a year so I have to save them for major flare-ups. They tell me to drink alcohol at bedtime instead! Trouble is I don't like hooch that much :(
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Re: Diazepam question. Please help.

Postby Hazelcat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks for your reply. The GP prescribed me 28 but said to take the lowest possible dose needed due to the addictiveness of diazepam. GP also mentioned that they obviously are not available on repeat prescription for that reason. Does anyone know what alternatives they may prescribe?
Thanks.
Hazelcat
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 pm

I was prescribed diazepam 28 yrs ago for panic attacks. 5 mg .i still take them and since being diagnosed with fibromyalgia I asked for a higher dosage as they are the only thing that takes the edge off the pain. I now take 2 at a time which means 14 have to last me 28 days.dr refused upping dose cos they are addictive :roll: :roll: bit late to worry about that now ! So even tho they work for me I'm not allowed any more :twisted: :twisted:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Hazelcat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Today I've had 4mg in the morning and 2mg this afternoon. They have stopped the spasm/twitching but I still have overall pain in my jaw, neck, shoulders, back and hips - despite taking paracetamol, naproxen and codeine. Is this 'normal' for Fibro? I feel this is a lot to be taking, I take paracetamol, codeine and naproxen regularly on repeat prescription. I'm just not sure what alternatives the GP will prescribe? Does anyone know what most GPs often try after this? Or do they just refuse to give any other types of painkillers, unless you are physically unable to walk or are screaming in agony? Even when the pain is awful I still manage to function purely because I have no other choice. I've only had a handful of days being bed bound but struggled through with paracetamol, codeine and naproxen :-? :cry:
Hazelcat
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gracious » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Diazepam is not designed for pain relief, its more a relaxant. I've worked with Diazepam as part of my medication arsenal for over 23 years. Its not recommeded to be a consistant daily medication as you will adjust to it and need more to get the same benefit/effect.

Diazepam will make you feel drowsy and impact on cognitive function too, especially concentration.

Its a great little helper drug, for when your overwhelmed, stressed etc and its very good at assisting in relaxing muslces, but you have to use it right.

The dozages mentioned here are low, but still carry addiction if taken daily for a period of time (as short as a month) and you will experience withdrawal symptoms (bigger the amount taken and time on them, bigger the withdrawal).

If your finding it's not reducing your spasm enough, please note your doctor will have other options for muscle relaxant medication, especially designed for spasms. But also note that even when a spasm is eased if there is still pain this only means the pain is associated to some else, in many of our cases it tends to fall into chronic fibro pain, but only if no assocication can be found through investigation.

My example would be in 2006 I experienced such severe pain in my left hand, arm,shoulder and neck, that I could no longer use it, went to osteopaths and they got concerned as it wasnt reacting to the work they were carrying out. Was advised to get it investigated. My doctor believed this was....wait for it.....Stress and Depression :shock: . I was in so much pain and at that time my diazepam was on repeat along with various powerful pain meds, that I was left to self medicate.

At one point I was taking 40mg a day in diazepam...seriously dangerous. My arm and shoulder were wrapped in large ice packs all day to numb the nerves. It got so bad, I was taking risks overdosing on pain meds, I was in such distress. After 3 months of still being told this was stress I paid for and MRI myself and found out I had herniated disc in my neck at c5 & c6 and a bulging herniated disc at c6 and c7, which was pressing on root 6 in my neckt on the left and this was the reason I was in so much pain, and suffering loss of function and weakness. I took great pleasure in taking the mri scans to my doctor, now I had to be taken seriously, and get the right treatment. Needless to say nothing can be done, pacing my only option. But at the same time they now realised they needed to help treat me for addition (After just 3 months).

Now, my medication arsenal is based on as and when needed. I now no longer take permanent medication, and what I have, I've learned when best to use it, what combination and how to get the most from small dosages. Most importantly better pacing and a better acceptance of pain.

Hazelcat, get yourself referred to physio to get help to releasing the spasm and be taught the stretches necessary to reduce re-occurance. Ask your doctor for alternative muscle spasm medication and as for the pain you may need to have a discussion about options for medications to better assist in your pain management. If you've not been to a pain clinic get referred to that too.

The way I look at diazpem and pain meds is to treat them like a warm coat. You have to take the coat off when in doors, to feel the benefit when you go out. I save the meds for when they are best needed, otherwise I wont experience the benefit. Your body can only carry so many coats, just like it can only take so much medication. What you're trying to find is the right fit of coat for you.

Hope this is of some help to you.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby tintagel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi,
I recently went to my GP as my twitches and jerks had gone beyond a joke, my GP told me this is not a symptom of fibromyalgia (we all know it is) and he said it was my nerves, as my son was getting married in a coupe of weeks (what rubbish).
Anyway, he gave me 14 diazepam pills, to get me to the wedding. Yes, their muscle relaxant properties worked well. However, the twitches and jerks soon returned. I went back to my GP, who still stated it was not a symptom of fibro and he wouldn't give me anymore as they are addictive. He told me to go away and relax !!!
I have my first appointment at the pain clinic next month, so I'm just really hoping they are more sympathetic. I work in a secure unit with teenage young offenders, it's tough enough without me giving them ammunition by twitching and jerking all over the place.

(SLE, history of ovarian cancer, panic attacks, instititial cystitis, microscopic colitis, eating disorder and as of last year fibro).
tintagel
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication