What medication works for fatigue and flu-like aches?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What medication works for fatigue and flu-like aches?

Postby Genevieve489 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Really struggling at the moment with horrid flu-like symptoms - fatigue, plus aching muscles all over. I was diagnosed six months ago. I'm on 25mg Nortriptyline, which has really helped with my sleep, but doesn't seem to do much during the day. The only other medication I take for fibro and osteoarthritis is paracetamol.

I'm going to see my GP next week, to ask if I there's anything else I can try that will help during the day. I've got a feeling he will want me to double my Nortriptyline dose to 50mg. I did this a few months ago and, apart from a very dry mouth, didn't really notice any difference. However, I don't think I was feeling this poorly at the time. Is it worth another try?

Are there any drugs that others take which work particularly well for fatigue and flu-like symptoms ?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: What medication works for fatigue and flu-like aches?

Postby SVG » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi,
Several of us Fibro sufferers have struggled this past few weeks. Something in the air!! I hope you're feeling more normal soon.
I was diagnosed about a year ago and have been on Progabalin (300mg a day). It cures most of my pain but it has side effects - weight gain being my trouble at the moment.... But it also increases fatigue. I'll be speaking to my pain consultant as I want to try coming off that. I've just started on Tapentadol which is easing the pain. Maybe trying some form of patch that will dispense pain relief constantly over 7 days. You could maybe ask about that. If you're NHS you may go on to Tramadol rather than Tapentadol but they are similar as far as I know. Tapentadol is just an upgraded version.
I hope some of that helps.
Sending virtual hugs (so they don't hurt) x
SVG
UKFM Newbie

Re: What medication works for fatigue and flu-like aches?

Postby Genevieve489 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Thank you for your reply and gentle hugs back to you.

My GP did suggest Tramadol to me the last time I saw him, in July, but I declined. I had gallbladder problems a few years ago - gallstones and infection, leading to my gallbladder removal - and was given Tramadol then. I don't know what the dosage was, but it made me feel very strange - totally spaced out - and I didn't like it at all. Maybe its time to think again, at a low dose? Now that you've mentioned it, I'll certainly discuss it further with him.

Thanks again. Take care. x
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication