[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pain relief patches

Pain relief patches

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby gillshutt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks Maurice, I feel so much better this morning... OK I've got a few pains and the patch med probably isn't out of my system completely but I'm back to the old me.

Everything seems normal again, I hadn't realised how down and uncaring I had felt and I kept losing track of time when I was sleepy. And I've got my sense of humour back :D

It also seemed to depress my circulation system as I was freezing cold all the time... I've never suffered with cold feet before, usually they are too hot, but I had terrible trouble for the last week and couldn't get warm at all and my feet actually hurt witht he cold!
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby GeminiGirl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi. I used fentnyl patches for 6 months and they had an awful effect on my mental state. I am normally a very positive upbeat person but while I was wearing the patches I was constantly depressed, slept a lot and was always very very tired. I snapped at my family and friends all the time. I felt like i was in a haze and no-one could understand me. I wanted to come off them after 4 months but my doctor told me to stick with them but after 6 months I took myself off them as I couldnt take it any more. i know that they are quite expensive in Ireland as that i where i lived when i was on them but i dont know how much they are here. Everyone will react differently but if possible stay away from them.
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Be Aware of Fentanyl Durogesic de trans

Postby smialls » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:46 pm

49 yr male.
HCV posative after blood transfusion during heart surgery 1969 - diagnosed 2004.
Fibromyalgia- diagnosed 2005.
VKH Syndrome-diagnosed 2006 .
Arthritis in my Spine
And living with my bloody Headache. Ahhh.
smialls
UKFM Member

Re: Be Aware of Fentanyl Durogesic de trans

Postby Maurice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Maurice
UKFM Member

Not Cold Turkey

Postby smialls » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Maurice.
Maybe a little misunderstanding.
I will not go Cold Turkey.
However even with the help of my GP. Which I am still getting, it is my own personal hell, hopefully getting easier sooooooonnn.
The symptoms I have been experiencing have been.
Firstly I have at first just dropped from 50 to 25 at the mo, hope fully next week will take the next step.

Obviouse flu symtoms
shaking
Hot / Cold Sweating
Sleeplessness
Thrashing about in bed
Nightmares
Aching Mucles
Contracting muscles / tendons, who knows
Headaches
Mad hot legs and feet
Vomiting

All the above symtoms are all of varying degrees of severity at different times.
Yes I know we can have some of these symtoms in our normal FM life, but these symtoms are different when you are craving for some strong Opiate.
I am getting help with Diazpam - Co codenol - some Herbal remedies and a loving girlfriend. who unfortunatly was an ex addict and was the one who pointed out to me that I was suffering withdrawal symptoms between the patches.

Yes I am a bit peaved they were not for me as the amount of tablets I was taking to control the pain was causing stomach problems and on and on, who knows.
They worked well when they were working.
But to start having the withdrawal symptoms between every patch was too much.

Peace Smialls

Thanks for the concerns
49 yr male.
HCV posative after blood transfusion during heart surgery 1969 - diagnosed 2004.
Fibromyalgia- diagnosed 2005.
VKH Syndrome-diagnosed 2006 .
Arthritis in my Spine
And living with my bloody Headache. Ahhh.
smialls
UKFM Member

Postby Maurice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi Smialls.

Yes I see what you mean now.

The withdrawell symtoms I have are very different, and I only get them when I go over the time.

I feel very tense and cannot settle......sounds nothing much but its hard to get back again for a couple of hours after replacing the patch.

Vomiting with the fentynyl patch is very common, but you need anti nausea tablets, and in my case it settled down. The rest of the symtoms you meantion. I have with my Fibro!

I only use 25mcg per hour of Fentynyle so you are/were on a high does. so a lot to come off of. There is another patch called Butrans available in 10 mcg I used it first but it reacted with my skin. but for you it might help to get down from 25mcg and make it a little easier! might be worth a chat with your GP.

I find that Gaberpenting helps as well. Have tried lots of other meds but all with bad side effects. I do wonder sometimes if it might be better to take no meds at all.......but soon realise the extreme pain i would be in!!

The other thing is Lignocaine infusions. I have had two sessions with it at the pain clinic and its helped a bit and with no side effects.

I guess its all trial and error.

I hope you go on ok, and would like to know how you get on.

Maurice
Maurice
UKFM Member

Bu-Trans patches

Postby Griffon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:14 am

"One day at a time"
Griffon
UKFM Newbie

Re: Bu-Trans patches

Postby groovy_chick » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:34 am

Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:44 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby pamh » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:46 pm

I too tried the morphine based patches, but they made me so ill with vertigo and sickness that I had to take them off. I only had one on for 6 hours and I couldnt get out of bed for 3 days! Every time I stood up I threw up, so back to co-codamol for me.

The doc at the Pain Managemen Clinic I saw was brilliant and outlined 3 routes for me to take.

The first is the duloxetine, pregabaline, tramadol route

The second is the Pain Management Course

and the third is an infusion of lignocaine (lidocaine) via a drip in hospital which is effective for about 3 months.

Im seeing my GP tomorrow, but I have already put my name down for the Pain Management Course (12 months waiting list) and think Im gonna go for the lignocaine infusion, see how I get on with that.

I am also on the waiting list to attend the Fibro Clinic, which again is a 12 month waiting list! My thoughts are that if there is a 12 month waiting list to go to the fibro clinic, there are a helluva lot more sufferers out there than I realised.

Pam
pamh
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 am

I assume you can do all three routes? Fibro usually requires a multidisciplinary - and often polypharmamcology - route for treatment. There is no magic pill, no magic treatment and a lot of it is a lot of work.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Pain patches

Postby star » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Learn to live in the world with hope, love and peace but do not let the rest of the world live too much in you. Take time to enjoy your own company and be your own best friend for life.
star
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Treatments

Postby star » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for welcome. :D
As we all know and have had to learn the hard way (through repeated disappointments) everyone reacts differently to meds. :cry:
I only posted my experience with the pain patches to give hope to other users, that it is possible after an initially negative response to treatment, that the situation can change and actually prove beneficial. It was never my intention to appear critical. :oops:
I am not surprised you were unable to continue using the pain patch when you have a young family to look after every day. Mothers like you have my respect, admiration and sympathy as I cannot imagine how you cope with your FM and take care of your children everyday. My family are now young adults but I am well aware of how intensely tiring it can be when my little nephews simply come to visit or just stay overnight!
I wish you well and hope your doctor soon finds an agreeable treatment to make everyday life easier for you.
Regards.
Learn to live in the world with hope, love and peace but do not let the rest of the world live too much in you. Take time to enjoy your own company and be your own best friend for life.
star
UKFM Member

Re: Pain relief patches

Postby kaurfy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

hi sweetie ive used the lidocaine patches on my feet and my back. they forgot to mention that when applied they are real cold. ive not had any side effects or reactions to these patches, ive been able to take these alongside with pregabalin. dy-hydracodine and paracetamol. tramadol made me like a zombie n yeah the itch was a nightmare, hope this is of some use to u. apparantly they ban you from driving if you take the morphine patches and are very addictive. :lol:
kaurfy
UKFM Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Treatments & Medication