[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Could Statins be a trigger?

Could Statins be a trigger?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Could Statins be a trigger?

Postby BoveySusie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Did anyone see the ITV programme last week about statins side effects? And have any of you been on statins in the past or are on statins now...
I was on them for about 6 - 7 years for high cholesterol which couldn't be controlled by change of diet alone, but about 18 months ago saw an article in the Mail written by a rheumatologist. He was put on stats himself and started having problems with widespread pain and fatigue - eventually after many months he stopped taking them and his symptoms improved. He found out that a percentage of his patients also took stats and also improved when they stopped.
I told my GP that I would like to stop taking them and although my pain levels improved (sometimes the pain was so unbearable you wanted to be able to chop off the offending limb!) I went on to develop more symptoms, was referred to a rheumatologist and diagnosed with fibro in June this year.
The ITV programme interviewed someone with similar symptoms to ours which he claims are a direct result of taking statins - so it just made me curious - I'd be interested to hear your views..

Take care - Sue
x
BoveySusie
UKFM Member

Re: Could Statins be a trigger?

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Possibly. Fore more information, see this article on research: http://www.fibroaction.org/Articles/Sta ... -pain.aspx
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:41 pm

A friend of mines husband had to come off them because of widespread pain .I think once again its down to the individual how they react to certain drugs.Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby lynne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Hiya,i have found statins to be a real bug-bear to me.After taking one for a year,10mg,my doctor has now changed me to another,400mg !! I reconized after only a couple of days on them how my pain levels have gone up.I hate taking them.

Take care

Lynne x
lynne
UKFM Member

Postby BoveySusie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for your comments - I must admit I thought more people would be affected but of course a lot of fibromites are too young to have to worry about high cholesterol!

I'm putting off trying another type until my next check Lynne - I'm trying a natural supplement at the moment - Plant Sterols, it's the same thing you get in the benecol range but that's an expensive way of doing it! At the end of the day we can only go by the advice of our GP's but mine did admit that some people just can't take statins because of the side effects. The last thing we want is increased pain levels!!! Good luck with the new type though!

Take care - Sue
x
BoveySusie
UKFM Member

Postby P0lly » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I am on two lots of statins as my cholesterol was 9 and diet alone didn't bring it back to normal levels. I've been on them for about 4 years, I broached the subject with my GP last year during a bad spell of muscle pains, she sent me for tests which concluded the statins weren't causing the increased pain. FM was diagnosed last week
P0lly
UKFM Newbie

Postby dollydaydream » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm

For what it is worth I am 39 and my cholesterol is 3,2. That said I have been on statins since I was dx with diabetes 9 years ago and I will never get approval from my Gp to come off them (even if my cholesterol was 1.5!!!!) because of the diabetes.

My fibro symptoms started last year (8 yrs after starting the statins) I don't think they are linked as there is such a long gap between starting the meds and onset of symptoms, but it could definately be that the statins do not help the symptoms and in some way may intensify them. Who knows, it's an interesting theory xxxxx
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby BoveySusie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:32 am

I didn't realise that statins are used with diabetes - I can see why you can't come off them! I still wonder whether your respective GP's would let you stop just for a week to experiment and then switch to another one if the pain levels inprove - it only took a couple of days with me before the pain reduced a bit.
Worth a try maybe? The trouble is, statins are very effective at reducing cholesterol so you can see why GP's throw their hands up in horror at any suggestion of coming off them :!:
My annual check is next month so it will be interesting to see whether the level has rocketed again...
Take care all - Sue
xxx
BoveySusie
UKFM Member

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 am

According to my doctor, because I have diabetes, I am at increased risk of cardiovascular issues so statins are used as a prophylaxis. Apparantly it is standard practice :?:
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby BoveySusie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 pm

My head's gone in a spin at all those big words Sarah :crazy:
Take care - Sue
x
BoveySusie
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

The article I linked to has information from research that suggest that proactive management (including changing the statin used if needed) can prevent them causing long term pain.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby bookworm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi There,

I am an insulin dependent and tablet diabetic, I was first put on statins around 2002 - I had a reacation to them within the first month. It felt like a thousand fire ants where crawling beneath my skin. My gp stopped them there and then.

My diabetic nurse at my review in 2007 decided in her wisdom that I had to go back on them - even though I told her and she could see from my records that I had reviously reacted to them. She said there would be no problems with this particular one - simvastatin - and I would not get the same issues as last time.

She was right! I did not get the same issues, instead I got intense pain in every area of my body and this happened with 24hours of taking the first tablet. By day 5 I was so painful all over that I rang the pharmacist and asked for his advice. He told me to get an emergency appointment with the gp and to stop taking the statins immediately.

It is now written in large red letters all over my records that I must NOT be given statins under any circumstances - almost 3 years later, I have just been given pain control for what is believed to be fm and am awaiting confirmation from the rheumi regarding this condition.

The doctors now know that I would rather risk any illness/condition rather than take the statins again and after seeing how poorly they made me, they agree I have made the right decision.
bookworm
UKFM Member

Postby Brens » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 pm

My GP put me on statins because of hereditary hyperlypidemia (liver makes too much of its own cholesterol)
my lipids blood test was 9 and I was prescribed Lipitor with a very serious warning from gp that if there was any increase in muscle pain I was to stop taking them immediately as they can cause serious muscle damage in a few people which can be irreversible if you continue to take them.
I didn't have a problem so still take them. Lipids now 4.7
Ever hopeful !
Brens
UKFM Member

Postby Polly57 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:57 am

This is the first time I have been on this, or any, forum, so a bit daunting, but I have long believed the trigger for my FM was the horrendous reaction I had to statins which my GP pushed me into accepting. My cholesterol was not particularly high and he tutted about the previous GP I had seen not insisting on my taking them. The Rheumatologist I have seen since who diagnosed FM absolutely refused to listen and just came out with "statins are life savers" like some kind of holy mantra.
The pain in every part of me was awful, I have never ever suffered from anything like it until the statins kicked them off. Also the nightmares were akin to being in horror films and my sleep patterns have been completely mucked up. I was working as a community nurse in another GP practice to my own at the time, and when I asked one woman GP about the nightmares I got the comment" we don't tell people about them or they'd all get them". Patronising or what!
I stopped taking them as soon as possible but strongly believe they were at the bottom of the pain I now have to learn to live with. A family member is a retired GP who seems to think statins are wonder drugs too, yet the primary research is not what they are fed at fancy conferences, I think there is bias in the research they are presented with. They are busy people but this drug prescribing frenzy seems to be leading intelligent health professionals by their noses. If there is a link it needs properly funded research because if it is responsible for the hell sufferers are going through it should be out in the open.
Polly57
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication