Fetal stem cell treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fetal stem cell treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Donna Day » Tue May 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi i am wondering if anyone has considered this form of treatment! I have been in touch with a Dr Rader in Malibu California. I got his details from a friend who hadn't walked for over 12months due to MS within 7 days he was back on his feet walking his kids to school and walking in to town! He did get very tired as his muscles were so weak, But my god what a transformation :clap: :clap: ! Does anyone no anymore information about this? It is a very expensive treatment £21000 Or $30000! And i am wondering if we could try and do something about getting the treatment in this country so it would cost less! I also don't think we should have to travel to the Dominican Repuplic to get this treatment!
Donna

I JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN
Donna Day
UKFM Member

Re: Fetal stem cell treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby denys » Tue May 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Donna I moved this into treatments and medication thread as you will probably get more hits in here.

I havent heard of this treatment so can't comment but it sounds extraordinary :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Donna Day » Wed May 19, 2010 12:06 am

I have a Pdf file with loads of information on i will try and copy and paste it to this post :clap:
Donna

I JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN
Donna Day
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I would be extremely careful with experimental and wholly unproven treatments like this. I'd never even heard of using stem cell therapies for Fibro treatment before today.

You would have to travel to the Dominican Republic because it will be illegal for a doctor to do this in the UK and US.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby BethanyCharlie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Hiya, i have recently been told theres a high chance of me having Fibro. I have an appointment at the hospital this friday to be diagnosed and probably a load of tests booked:/
I'm learning about Stem Cells in school and had to research it for homework. I came across this treatment doing my homework and saw this:
"Neurons made from human embryonic stem cells can both send and receive nerve impulses when transplanted into the mouse brain, scientists at University of Wisconsin-Madison have announced. The discovery provides some of the strongest evidence that human embryonic stem cell-derived neurons, which could be used to treat a variety of neurological disorders such as ALS, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy and stroke, can fully integrate and behave like regular neurons when transplanted into the brain. (The Scientist, Nov. 21, 2011)

Using both embryonic and adult stem cells, researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have created astrocytes, star-shaped cells in the brain that act like bodyguards for neuron brain cells and play an important role in diseases of the central nervous system. Astrocytes are more common than neurons but have been hard to grow in the lab. Being able to study them could help researchers understand their role in normal brain functioning, and help find new treatments for diseases such as ALS, in which the neurons are overworked. Transplanting healthy astrocytes could rescue the injured neurons. (LiveScience/FOX News, May 23, 2011)

Scientists from the Universities of Edinburgh, Cambridge and Cardiff in the United Kingdom have created a range of motor neurons – nerves cells that send messages from the brain and spine to other parts of the body – from human embryonic stem cells in the laboratory. The process, which will enable scientists to create different types of motor neurons and study why some are more vulnerable to disease than others, could help scientists better understand ALS, primary lateral sclerosis (PLS), progressive muscular atrophy (PMA) and other motor neuron diseases. (University of Edinburgh, March 1, 2011)"

I have googled stem cell research and fibromyalgia and it is possible, it is happening. I'm only 15 but was wondering if maybe i was older, when i have a kid could i use cells from the placenta or umbilical cord to create stem cells to match and cure me. Anyone that knows anything, please reply.
BethanyCharlie
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Sorry Bethany dont know but maybe by the time you are wanting a family who knows it may be possible, the fact remains that none of these studies are saying it can be used in the treatment of Fibro
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby BethanyCharlie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah:) If you google it there are things on using it for Fibro or about to. Hopefully by the time i want a family they will have progressed to it, or, you never know, i could be one of the first:P A guinea pig maybe, anything to get rid of it and all of us feel normal again.
BethanyCharlie
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication