[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - anyone tried 5-HTP????

anyone tried 5-HTP????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby justcoping » Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 pm

have been reading about 5-HTP, has anyone tried it.............if so does it help?
justcoping
UKFM Member

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby Caz1980 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm due to start it in 2 weeks - have to come off all other ssri's first. I was recommended by a friend who also has fibro who said it had worked well for her- lessening pain without side effects of prescription meds. Was on cymbalta for two years but it didn't help me and it's been hard to get off. Fingers crossed the 5-http works! America swear by it for fibro- the seem to do lot more research over there!
Caz1980
UKFM Member

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby Caz1980 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Forgot to say - if u look up what they put in prescription ssri's it's basically 5-http plus a load of rubbish u don't need for fibro x
Caz1980
UKFM Member

Re: anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby justcoping » Thu May 12, 2011 3:47 pm

thanks caz1980, i think im gonna gve it a go too,

just ordered some should be about a week then ill give it a go, nothing to lose.....so to speak good luck with you too. keep in touch and let me know if it works for you :wave: :goodluck2:
justcoping
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

With things like this, it's always best to check with a doc or pharmacist first to make sure there of any possible interactions with other meds etc you're taking.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zippy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm sorry to be ignorant, but could someone explain 5-HTP to me please? I've never heard of it and I'm still fumbling around in the dark anyway :?
zippy
UKFM Member

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby Caz1980 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi zippy
5-http is classed as a natural or alternative therapy -- it's basically a tablet like the anti depressants prescribed for fibro by your doc ( which includde it ) but without all the additional medicine mix that is used to counter depression. 5-http increases the seretonin in your brain which kick starts natural pain killers. You can find more info if you google it but hope that makes some sense! Xx
Caz1980
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Fri May 13, 2011 9:13 am

hi all,

will check with gp first before starting 5-http, promise, i certainly couldnt cope with anymore side effects it will throw at me if i dont check first x :wave: and thanks again to you all x
justcoping
UKFM Member

Postby zippy » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 am

zippy
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 am

check out on web md , not recomended at moment because of possibial contamination ,?? do mot take with other anti ds that increase seritonan , dont take with tramadol ? need to be carfull i would think
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Nic-nac » Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 pm

As far as Im aware you should not be taking tramadol with any ssri's due to possible side effect of fits. I was taken off tramadol about 18months ago after admittance to hospital due to this.

Good luck to all who try the 5htp xx
Nic-nac
UKFM Member

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby Caz1980 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Please follow this link to find out about what web md says regarding 5-htp
[url="http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fibromyalgia-herbs-and-supplements"]http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fibromyalgia-herbs-and-supplements[/url]
Caz1980
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 pm

I've taken 5 htp on and off for the past three years and if you take it at the correct dosage for you it will work brilliantly and very quickly indeed, within the first day or two usually.. also once your feeling better and your serotonin levels are up, you can come off it straight away with no withdrawal side affects.. you can also start it again ant any point.

It's also best if you do 3 weeks on and 1 week off. also most people take it to go to bed as it induces sleep but personally i found it good to have a dose in the morning and a top up about tea time. a bit of experimenting will help you find what suits you the most.

Get it at a healthy food shop and pay a bit extra for it.. as it's one of those things that you get what you pay for and cheep 5 htp won't be as affective. H@B do it and its called nature ( something )

It comes in capsule form usually in 100 mg's but don't start off on this amount straight away as it might make you feel sick.. dosages are very subjective and whilst one person might need 300 mg a day another might do very well on only 25 mg. It's best to experiment and find out what's best for you...

To find your correct personal dosage its important to increase your intake slowly to the point where, if you take some and feel sick ( sometimes with a headache ).. you now know that's a bit too much for you and you must cut back to the last amount where you didn't feel sick. Feeling sick with or without the headache, lets you know that for you, that particular amount is too much...but don't worry the sick/headache effect is mild and will not cause harm and will go once the dose wears off with no lasting effect..

Start off on 25mg. this involves cutting a capsule in half but don't worry it only tastes like chicken oxo. ( tryptophan- the T in 5HTP is derived from protein found in turkey) take this in the morning and the other half in the evening.. do this for a 2 of days, (you may start feeling uplifted straight away) on the 3rd day take a 100mg capsule in the morning.. and if your ok, and don't feel sick, you can take 25mg at night. next day take 100 mg in morning and 100 mg in the evening.. this is usually the dose that people stick at but some are able to take a bit more.. however it is not recommended that you take more than 300 mg a day.

After experimenting for myself i find that 4 doses of 25 mg through out the day worked great for me. and sometimes if i knew id be having a bit of a bad night id make the last dos a 50 mg instead of a 25 mg.. a total of 250 mg but on 300 mg i'd be feeling sick. so as you can see there's a lot of leeway for experimenting. Just remember that if you take some and feel sick then to cut back.

5 htp works in the same way as some anti depressants in as much as it allows your bodies naturally produced serotonin to be made use of in the brain.. ( you can get the scientific bit for this off the web ) after a few weeks you should be feeling pretty good again and there's no need to cut down slowly when your giving yourself a week off it.. when you start again, do a day or so of reintroducing it slowly and then go straight onto the dose that you found works for you.. Personally, when i come off it after 3 weeks i'm feeling so much better that find i can go quite a while before feeling the need to start it again..

Remember though that even though it's a natural product, you will need to make sure it has no contra indications if taken in conjunction with other meds and, before you take anything it is always worth talking to your doc and doing your own research.. there are quite a few 5htp forums out there as well.

Hope that helps and good luck .

Mella.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Re: aine nyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby murdayl » Sun May 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Ive been on it for about five months. Did a load of research on what causes fibromyalgia and stumbled on this lack of serotonin chemical. I wondered if there was some way of getting back what i was missing.I typed it in on the health food site and it came up as 5HTP - caps. Could this be the one thing that would rid me of this miserable illness?? i felt high, euphoric, ive found the answer. Over three years id had co-dydramol,co-proxamol, celobrex, methotrexate, pregablin, steroid injections, morphine patches, amitriptyline - all trial and error, suffered side effects and walking round like a zombie - could this little capsule, bought from a shop work?? It helps, it takes the edge of the pain and helps me sleep. Im still tritating the dose, not got it correctly stable yet, still have flare ups, but feel happier in myself. The strange thing is i seem to have developed a severe craving for chocolate whch i never have had before and ive read that serotonin can be found in chocolate. Think its giving me a signal of where i can find it in its natural form :lol: Give it a go, better than being a slave to Prozac!!
murdayl
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 am

hi all,

well D Day here, have spoken to gp and been off meds now (only had been taking amitrip) have taking my first dose 25mg of 5 htp, i have everything crossed and hoping just hoping that it works its majic on me and my awful body and mind that has been plaqued with this fm for what seems eternity (since sept) and that to me is so long. i know some of you out there have had this an awful lot longer and i take my hat of too you all.

i would like to thank all who has posted on this for me, for you time and all your info

will keep you all posted

many thanks :wave: :fingerscrossed:
justcoping
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication