[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - anyone tried 5-HTP????

anyone tried 5-HTP????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby murdayl » Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

hope it helps you. It does make you feel better in yourself and its better than anti-depressants. :fingerscrossed: :D
murdayl
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 pm

well something is def working with these 5-htp,...I feel better in myself and able to function better its only been a week and i have already tackled the mounds of paperwork that had built up on my side from my business, that i really have not been able to face for ages. i'm not saying it has taken everything away..........i still ache and hurt around my neck and shoulders, but god i feel better and more focused,

Missed the odd glass of wine with my dinner tho, so didnt take them sunday and monday, so as to participate in a tipple with hubbie over the bank hol weekend. but back tee-total and on them for the weekdays again.

found 50g in morn and 50g at teatime best for me, so gonna keep at it for a while and see how its goes

thank you all again

much happier now, then being on amitrips!

cheers :wine:
justcoping
UKFM Member

anyone tried 5-HTP????

Postby Caz1980 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

So glad they working for you justcoping - sadly I've had to give up on them as even the 25mg dose had me throwing up for a week :( just goes to show we all have to try these things cause they work for some but not others. Hope they continue to help xx
Caz1980
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 pm

oh caz i am so sorry they made you bad, they def doing a difference for me, have you tried the other one??? GUAIFENESIN read about that at sametime, that seems to help some people, maybe read up on that one and see what you think! all i remember about it is its in cold remedies, and funnily enough a friend in scotland has FM and when she had a bad cold she took beechams!! and said all her aches and pains went whilst she was taking them,.......only to return when she stopped...might be worth looking into. she is researching it i think!

good luck :fingerscrossed:
justcoping
UKFM Member

Postby tohorizon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:50 pm

I had very mixed experiences with 5-htp. 50mg late afternoon seemed to do wonders, clear up brain fog, depression, ... but even small doses at night seemed to have the reverse effect than intended: even less sleep, even more ongoing brain activity. Somebody recommended a book ("the mood cure") to help with playing with the right dose and, well, it's been a while since I bought my last (fibromyalgia) self-help book so I gave it a try... they recommend Tryptophan instead of 5-htp if the latter doesn't work (and other things that don't help with fibro issues from my experience) and the Tryptophan works for me. It clears the head, takes away this dark cloud that comes with exhaustion, helps me concentrate and, yesyesyes, it makes me sleep!!
tohorizon
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 am

OMG!!! well i feel amazing!!! took 5-htp for a few months just 50g in morning and 50g at dinner, no side effects, and did feel better instantley, but as time went on the pains diminished to now aches now and again, can still be a little stiff in mornings but once i get up and move about it soon goes, i cant believe how well i feel, the fibro fog seems to have gone unless i overtax myself then it seems to try to return, but i am now doing normal things without having to really think about it.

i havent taken any 5-htp for 2 weeks now and at present dont feel i need to, it def did something for me. im getting married in 5 weeks time and am coping really well with the organising of everything which back a few months i was dreading it in case it taxed me to much but hey.............................i actually feel human again..long may it continue.

the only thing that hasnt returned yet is i used to love walking for miles at a time and that seems beyond reach at the mo, short small walks is what i can manage at mo, but i have patience i know with determination i will be able to do that again.

hope you are all well and coping
now not just coping but.................COPING xx :wine: :clap: :wave:
justcoping
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: it lasts for you so glad you have found something to help you :woot: :woot: :woot:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby adam24 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Can anyone please suggest to me the best dose for this?

Thanks.
adam24
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Adam, im taking 100mg at night...mainly to help me to get more of a restful sleep, it was these or amitriptaline and i dont want to go down that road as yet so i thought id give 5htp a go..... it has helped with headaches :facepalm: not getting them every day. still have fatigue but can see it coming on so rest instead of fighting it.....still aches and pains, and sometimes feel down due to pain mainly, but saying that feel better for taking them :-D

ive taken it since sept 2011, plus im only on co codamol so get it checked with gp if your on anti;s etc as they can react to certain meds. Holland and Barrett have 1/2 price deal at the moment...... i started 100mgs at night and did feel woozy the first time but got used to them the guy in the shop recomended i take 50mg am and pm, i did try this, but swapped to 100mgs at night that suits me fine, please, please get it checked out if on any other meds and research before taking them as they can help with moods so act as an anti-depressant..........best of luck........mandy
mand
UKFM Member

Postby adam24 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Mand,

Thanks for your reply.

In my case I have severe depression, OCD and Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Pain which I've had for 30 years.

I want to take this instead of anti depressant which cause sexual dysfunction so I'm really relying on this hopefully working.

For the depression I believe I have to take at least 200mg a day. I just wanted to see the dose for Fibromyalgia.

I've been taking it for nearly a week and have not really seen an improvement yet. If anything the pain is worse and I feel nausea.

I'm up to 150mg over the last couple of days.

Will it take a while to start working?

Does any one have any suggestions?

I really appreciate any advice.
adam24
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Adam

You mentioned that you wanted to try 5htp and come of your antidepressants.

Have you weaned off your antidepressants and did you inform your GP that you were coming off them to try 5 htp:?:
This could be the reason why you are feeling nausea :dunno: or you could be going through withdrawal affects.

The pharmacy/your GP will be able to advise you on the suited dose. :goodluck1: hope the work.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby adam24 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi Shazq,

I have allready come off the anti depressant some months ago.

Ive been messing around with my antidepressant for over 2 years and gone through hell.

If this 5-HTP does not work I will have to go back on them. :cry:
adam24
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Give it a while Adam,

i noticed after the sleep pattern changing, the headaches were reducing, was up to a month before i felt any benefit i still get loads of fibro stuff, and still have disturbed sleep sometimes...but i feel a bit more restful when i get up in the mornings. I do feel down but i know it wont be for long, thats mainly due to pain cycle........so all in all i think it's improved my lifestyle and im not on prescribed meds as amitriptline was the next step and i dont want it yet as im coping, good and bad days....flaming not had a day from pain...but i get on with it :-D .......pity magic wands wer'nt on the NHS

.....take care and hope you can jig the right dosage, have you spoken to anyone about dosage, have you started on 150mg dose or upped it, it could be too much and have a look at the contra-indications???sp , have a look on the internet to see if there is any chat/support groups for taking 5htp or suppliments......best wishes mandy
mand
UKFM Member

Postby adam24 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks Mand. :-)
adam24
UKFM Member

Postby justcoping » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Adam,

I have had great success with HTP, i starded on 25g 4 times a day but soon changed to 50g twice a day 50 in the morning then 50 at tea-time, i have never looked back, the pains practically disappeared, before HTP on a scale of 1 - 10 the pains were 11!!! but now if i get what i call an attack or relapse they are about 4 which is amazing. the fibro fog has gone, I get down now and again but when i do i make myself do something or try to arrange something to look forward too!

It is an awful illness and i hope you find HTP can work for you like it does me

Its trial and error with the dosage and best times to take them for each indivdual,

good luck tho!

justcoping :-D :goodluck2:
justcoping
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Treatments & Medication