[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Prof Wessely says it's all in our minds

Prof Wessely says it's all in our minds

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Prof Wessely says it's all in our minds

Postby Min » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... MP=OTC-rss

Prof Simon Wessely is an incredibly influential, psychiatrist who believes that M.E., fibromyalgia, Gulf war Syndrome, organo-phoshate poisoning, Lyme disease, the Camelford water poisoning outbreak etc. are somatoform disorders, e.g. all in the mind. He and his psychiatric colleagues have taken nearly all government research funding for these illnesses.

"Your most cited paper claims that conditions such as CFS, irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia are all the same illness."

"If you systematically interview people with these illnesses, you find that a big proportion of these so-called discrete syndromes have a large overlap with the others."

The Gibson report into M.E. recommended that he & his colleagues be investigated for his conflict of interest in also working for large insurance companies & the DWP, who do not want to pay out to people with these illnesses. This was never done.

You can leave a comment on the NS page if you wish.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Re: Prof Wessely says it's all in our minds

Postby velvet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:11 pm

oh wonderful more garbage telling me i am choosing this, doing it to myself, thinking about it the wrong way etc. why cant the damn professor develop this and then tell everyone he has thought himself into it.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Just as we think things might be looking up another crackpot shows up and puts doubt into everyones minds again as if Gps need any more encouragement. Blah BLah Blah.Blah.
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby anne1206 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Well said Velvet, I am in so much pain today that I have taken the maximum painkillers that I can and its not even touched the pain :cry:
wish I could think myself out of it if going by his theory I thought mself into it :evil:
what an A***, god I get so angry at these people, In the early stages of what I now know as fibro I was sent to a psychiatrist and thankfully she immediately recognized that I wasnt mad :roll: and she sent me to neurology and rheumotology and I got diagnosed, ok it didnt make it better but at least now I know what is wrong and can deal with that. by the way the psychiatrist was Welsh and a lovely person, so glad not all people who study psycho things are bampots.
Take Care Anne
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby iwh54 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 pm

All I can say is if they think that we are dreaming all the pain and discomfort up, try it for a week or two. But make it the worst weeks in their lives.Im sure they would not last a day. Try a physicaly demanding job and cope with FM as well.Many of us know how bad we feel after work. Do they really think we have the energy to make up all the syptoms and pain? Perhaps Prof Wessely is trying to make a name for himself at the expense of people in genuine pain. I like all of us on these forums would be only too pleased to be rid of FM and all the other illnesses that spoil our lives. :evil: :evil:
iwh54
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 pm

He doesn't need to make a name for himself, he & his colleagues are an immensely powerful influence on our government because of how much money they save the DWP by denying these illnesses exist.

He's the main reason there is so little biomedical research into such illnesses, all funding goes to him and his psychiatric colleagues.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:34 am

Ive just been thinking,how can we expose this story,and what we are up againt???Just remember everybody,there are more of us than them.10 % of the population!!i think we should organise a online ,peaceful ,facebook protest,has anyone got this story in writing???If we get enough people protesting,on facebook,it will expose it,Whos up for it,im sick of goverment petions being ignored.These docters are holding us all to ransome,they are controling even the goverment,how dare they!!!I cant think stiaght at the moment ,will someone please put a story together ,keep it simple ,we could all protest,on this facebook social nettworking site,details later,once its set up,get all your friends and family behind you to join this protest.We could get world wide exposure,iv got contacts in other countrys,and so have many of you ,just get me started,whats got me even madder is him saying there is no such thing as post dramatic stress,My son,was in the navy,he came out because of this condition,This wessely fella,i,ll give him it doesant exsist,along with all the other things he has picked on as not being real.If we expose this dr,maybe we might even get a cure,because as long as we have this attitude from these drs,we live with 24/7 pain.Who ever started this story ,please pm me,i not letting this one drop,this is an oppertunity to do something ,and we dont even have to leave the house.You can set any group up on facebook,with a proper story,and millions will see it,and it will get exposure!!!,so lets go for it,i hope you are all behind me get ready to fight back............cat 123
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:04 pm

People with M.E. (including me) & people with Gulf War Syndrome (he works fore the military both sides of the (Atlantic) have been trying to tell the world what this man & his colleagues are up to for over 20 years.

I don't think the fibromyalgia community is aware of the fact that he has labelled fibromyalgia a somatoform (imaginary) disorder & that is why there's no real biomedical research being funded by the government. Governments listen to him because he saves them a fortune.

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Wesselys_Way.htm

http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/docum ... lliams.htm

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Observatio ... nquiry.htm

http://quackbengoldacre.wordpress.com/p ... onwessely/

http://www.whale.to/v/wessely_h.html

http://dailystrength.org/c/Fibromyalgia ... ive-doctor

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/185/2/95
Min
UKFM Member

Postby daisybev » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 pm

I was about to say what has already been, its great they give the full budget to crackheads like this cos its cheaper in the long run and they save money on drugs and benefits if its proved that it isnt real...

It is in our brains but not in our heads I agree with Cat123 lets give them what for...
I love my computer because all my friends live in there....
daisybev
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 am

Have you all read this story,what do you think,lets have some comments,do you realise whats going on here?Nothing has been done to help fibromites in all the 21years ive had the condition,and now i know why.Goverment petitions to help us are a waste of time,because a this prof wessely says fibromyalgia is all in our minds!!! This man and his team,have control over research in this country!!!!!! As long as he says its in our minds,this we have no chance of a cure. .............cat123
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 am

with you all the way Cat, dont know how to but if anyone comes up with anything I will back it 100 per cent.
Take Care Anne
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:15 pm

ok i am not offering to organise or do this - i just could not manage it (how much advantage does the government take of the fact that this condition inheritently saps all the energy needed to fight injustice).

however if approaching this problem as a fully fit and fighting person my idea would be to gather as much of the peer reviewed research on this condition detailing the physical causation and changes that is being done in foreign countries - build it into a single pack with a simple summary then have a date where as many fibro sufferers as possible would all gather in london - parliment square - and the pack would be delivered with a petition to 10 downing street - and the pack made availible to every news service. have the gathering in parliment square as a mass picnic with the summary of the pack availible to be handed out to passers by.

dont know what anyone else thinks of that - dont know if anyone has a fit relative with the intelligence and energy to put such a pack together and organise the "protest picnic" - dont know if it would work even - but right now i am at the tell me where and what time and i will cooperate but i am not doing any thinking planning or organising for myself stage.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby samantha louise » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:18 pm

im behind it
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby Min » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 pm

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JPAd ... #PPA172,M1

Scroll down to pages 153-172 here to read the pages of his colleague's Michael Sharpe's article on CFs & Fibro. Psychiatrist Michael Sharpe once famously called M.E. patients the 'least deserving sick of society'. He believes that M.E. and fibro are the same somatic (imaginary) disorder.

This is how many medical staff are trained, to see us as neurotic malingerers.
Min
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:50 pm

its no wonder we get such bad treatment is it

samantha louise
xx
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise