[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Unexplained Physical Symptoms What's a Psychiatrist to Do?

Unexplained Physical Symptoms What's a Psychiatrist to Do?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Unexplained Physical Symptoms What's a Psychiatrist to Do?

Postby Min » Thu May 07, 2009 12:03 pm

another article saying fibro is all in the mind

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/dsm-v/a ... Number=3D=

01 August 2008
Psychiatric Times. Vol. 25 No. 9
Special Report

PSYCHIATRY AND MEDICAL ILLNESS
Unexplained Physical Symptoms
What's a Psychiatrist to Do?

edit to remove complete article as we do not have permission under copyright to print it.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Re: Unexplained Physical Symptoms What's a Psychiatrist to Do?

Postby confused » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Min,

Umm dont know what to think about this. Having suffered with fibro for 13 years and diagnosed with it, i am so sick of fibro that im prepared to accept that it may well be psychological. The reason why i say this is that my symptoms become way worse when i am stressed.
I have been managing with my symptoms for the last 5 years because i have been relatively stress free after extensive councilling for childhood abuse, but attended a medical only to have my income support stopped and have been sorting out an appeal etc and i can hardly walk i feel bruised all over and back where i started 13 years back so im at my wits end and am thinking seriously of going to my Doc and asking him to make me a guinea pig and try this theory that Wessely and other cronies have come up with, not only for hopefully they are right and will rid me of this hell or that this theory that most of the medical proffesion are hinging on can be discounted.
But the one that is causing me to question this psychological theory is why we all possess the same pain points etc because if it is all in the head! as they say then it would be variable, unless they all think that we are all copying each other after reading etc!! huh

So im off to the docs and im going to go down their route and i will let you all know whether they may have a point or whether they are all wrong, then we will have something solid. I wonder if anyone has tried this previous? Thank you for all listening and i will let you know of my progress. :hugs: Paula
confused
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, went to my doctor to discuss this and guess what? he hadnt heard about it!! and could offer no suggestions or meds to help as this guidance isnt available, the are no free CBT classes available on the NHS etc, so Prof Wessely and Cronies better roll out an implementation plan then to back up their claims and a treatment regime then, seen as they are the "authority" on this!!!!! HUH :evil:
Anyone got any suggestions then? My post has been up a while and have had no opinions on it at all? I am just so angry at the mo that we get no help either way and surely this has to be addressed or are we just happy with a diagnoses? i want to have answers as to why this is happening to me and if it is found to be pshycological then at least it is one step closer to a treatment or even cure.
Come on fellow fibromites surely you have a view either way?
confused
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm

This statement i found on a fibromyalgia clinic website and cause i suffer well from brain fog forgot to include it and the address.......

In order to effect positive change on a physical level the mind has to be an automatic part of the equation. If you continually 'think' that you are unwell and cannot get better, guess what? You will continually be unwell and not get better. 'It's all in the mind' is a very true statement. I don't mean that to appear flippant, I am absolutely aware that fibromyalgia is a very real condition and a chronic illness that affects people physically. What I am saying is that if we change the way we think then we are more likely to effect the positive changes we want. Continuing to do or think the same way will always get you the same result.
Last edited by confused on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confused
UKFM Member

Postby miajane » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Confused,
You may get more responses if you put your post in a different topic area.
Your link is no longer available. I did try to find the article but could find nothing that says fibro is 'all in the mind'.
They had another article on fibro, saying that it is a physical disease but it's symptoms do effect the moods, being in constant pain 24/7 has that effect.
It also states that just treating one aspect of fibro - such as the psychological part will not work, the physical pain needs to be treated as well.

I did try to continue working, had no idea I had fibro, I was in pain and tired and just kept going, working 6 days a week as well as looking after my kids single-handed. I was under no particular stress I loved my job, my personal life was great, I had lots of friends. I was studying with the OU and getting good marks. I just put it down to be older though I was only 38 at the time.
I ended up collapsing, I passed out and spent a week in hospital, they thought I'd had a stroke. After many tests and scans, my dr dx fibro a few months later. There is definately something wrong physically it does not matter how positive I am I'm still in pain.
A positive mental attitude does help me to cope with that pain better but does not get rid of it, I would give or do almost anything to go back to work but I can't. Istill have days when I don't want to accept this but if I don't I wil just end up very depressed.

You did ask for opinions well I don't think it all in my head, I've tried changing the way I think. To start with everyday I got up telling myself I'm going to get on like normal today, so I can go back to work, but I'd be in tears with the pain after an hour or so.
Now I am getting used to pacing, resting when I need to and I only doing a little bit at a time, if I push myself I pay for it no matter what my mental attitude is.
Take care
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 pm

My head tells me I can walk round the supermarket, but the body wont comply and down I go with the most indescribable pain, so afraid my fibro is in my body not my head, so I really need to isten to my body not my head.
Anne :hugs:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Hiya Miajane,

excuse the lateness of this reply been not so good as you will know yerselves! :roll: :D
Unfortunately i didnt post the link originally, i was only answering it! :) Also there is another thread on this board "Dr wessely says its all in our minds" that will give you some idea of what these quacks are stating about FMS.

Its very confusing as there are many schools of thought on whether its physical or psychological. But at the moment after suffering and diagnosed 13 years ago im willing to go down any route to act as a guinea pig as i want rid of this cr*p im living with 24/7 and am prepared to accept that it may well be a psychological illness. No one has any definitive answers on what it could be, even in America. So i am willing to accept it may be and try to get a psychiatrist to help me at least try what they are suggesting. At least i would be able to challenge them in their generalisations if after trying their treatment programme doesnt work.

it doesnt mean that we are making it up, as i am only too aware of what it does to me, but hey no one else has come up with anything else, and when i am stressed like at the mo my pain triples and it just appears out of thin air, this strikes me as being controlled by my brain. Brains are very powerful things and they can cause pain from stress etc. i shall continue this but this page cuts off . ttfn paula :hugs:
confused
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm

just found this which is a bit more of a gentle way of putting our illness to the harsh way reported by dr wessely

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/cme/dis ... geNumber=6

And is probably the way forward rather than branding us malingerers, which we are most definately not.
Apart from the fraudsters, but who in their right mind would choose FMS to fool the dole with as they dont believe the genuine sufferers of it, oh but i forgot the fraudsters know and are able to fill in the forms without any difficulty and usually get away with it while the rest of us have to appeal. Sorry for the rant at the end! :shock: it just came out..... :roll: :)
Take care :hugs: Paula
confused
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:42 am

That is a fantastic article! Thanks Paula. :D It slipped by me and I great it's a great tool for doctors.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 pm

from what i see it is stating the obvious - if you have a long term chronic pain problem then your mental attitude is going to affect how much it affects you.

if someone with MS (which everyone knows is definately NOT a psychiatric condition) fears their pain, loses friends and so feels isolated, and recieves no support from their partner then they are going to suffer more, struggle to adapt and probably end up on anti depressants but no one is going to turn around and blame their mental attitude for the MS

why should fibro be different - when people with fibro struggle to cope why should that stuggle be blamed for causing the condition in the first place?

i am not saying that none of us need psychiatric support i am saying we need to recognise that it is the fibro that causes the need rather than the need that causes the fibro.

one last thing on the CBT - CBT is NOT a cure. what CBT does is teach a person to think in a different way so that what previously appeared to be an insurmountable problem is seen as something that can be dealt with and even integrated into daily life - it doesnt make the problem go away it teaches you to look at it differently. CBT can be just as theraputically effective in patients with MS, long term spinal injury, cancer, whatever - no one says it is the cure or answer to these conditions. it is important that fibro does not become seen as something that just needs a course of CBT to sort it - yes it would help but it is still not the answer.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:14 pm

It's worth mentioning that:

"It's psychological"

and

"it's stress/overactive stress response/over susceptibility to stress hormones"

are NOT the same thing.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 pm

theres rude you are Mr A and have been on my previous post also.......problem :roll:

I am only the messenger so dont shoot me for just mentioning what i feel personally. I suffer from fibro aswell and im not on the attack.
confused
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 am

Um now I'm confused.. he seems to be agreeing with you confused. Both of you are saying that FM can affect the way you think and feel not that it's a mental condition.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Fibro/ME cause depression or does depression cause ME/Fibro??????
I agree that it is genetic as i can honestly prove that one with all my female relatives all suffering.
But that its all in the mind - no sorry i dont agree at all
Its like the chicken and the egg eh
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:17 am

NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Politics & Lobbying