[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Accessing Medical Records

Accessing Medical Records

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Accessing Medical Records

Postby deathvalleydemon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:01 pm

been to see my gp to ask him to allow me access to my medical records in support of my personal injury claim and my appeals for ESA and DLA but he flat out refused, told me to tell them to write to him.

I'm not happy with this, any other way i can get my hands on these records?
deathvalleydemon

Re: Accessing Medical Records

Postby denys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:07 pm

you are allowed to access your records and your GP has to let you see them, they may charge to do this but it is your right to see them. Send in a letter to the practice manager saying you wish to access your records :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby deathvalleydemon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 pm

I told him this and he was like nah, you need to get them to write to me...

ive also got a great big lump on my knee, he felt it, really really hurt me and said "its part of your fibro".

worst doctor ive been under....
deathvalleydemon

Postby denys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Sounds like an ignorant so-and-so can you see someone else???
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Going on my experiences for people asking for access to medical records, they tend to send you an authority that you sign and return to them, they usually then send it with the request for the information to you GP.

I can understand your GP asking for the request to be made in writing, that way there is an "express" instruction that you have authorised, as opposed to you saying that it's OK for your info to be given out, an "implied" instruction. With the "express" instruction there is proof, if needed, as to what can be disclosed, whereas with an "implied" instruction, the wrong info could be given out, or details could be given out to the wrong people.

When I worked in banking, we had lots of customers who just said we could give info out to anyone who called from various places, and were unhappy when we said it need to be in writing. However, when we explained why it was necessary to be done in this way (their account security) they could see why it was necessary. Maybe your dr could have done a better job of explaining to you why it is needed in writing.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi
Just put it into writing that you wish to see your medical records, i know most surgeries charge a fee but they cant refuse you to see them. :goodluck1:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Wow I had the same problem with my gp wft with these doctors i was told ask my guy who take my case to write them in person which he did and stupid bloody doctor never fill it in so i had talk sectory like twise and it took over 6 weeks I cross my :fingerscrossed: he has filled it in time god where these people get off it ower notes D:

guess they just wat money :crazy:

GOOD LUCK :goodluck2:
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Legally you are entitled to access your medical records at any time. Putting the request in writing makes sense although usually there is a charge for access. Talk to the secretaries or practice manager - they'll know more about it.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Gill76 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm a Medical Secretary at a hospital, and the fee for accessing your records where I work, I think is about £50. I've only ever had one request made to me to view records and there's a telephone number for our Medical Records Dept that we give out to patients. I do know that the request does need to be made in writing, and then I believe a form is sent to the patient for them to fill out authorising the access which was then sent to the Consultant I work for. As soon as she received that she was given the patients notes to check and from then agreed to the access so I contacted the Records Dept and sent the notes back to them. I think they then contact the patient to arrange a date/time convenient to view their records.

That's just how it is at my hospital, I'm afraid I don't know how it's dealt with at a GP practice.
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services