[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Postby diane1 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I decided to put this post on as there seems to be an aweful lot of people out there who are still in work but are struggling.

Not many people are aware that there is help other than that of your employer out there. It comes in the form of the Disability Employment Advisors (DEA) who can be found in the local Jobcentre Plus Offices. They are not just there to help people with Disabilities find work but also to help those in work keep their jobs. This is called a "retention " case .

It involves the DEA meeting with the employer to discuss the problems that there might be. They will also bring the unions and disability services in to help . The process will involve looking at the job role to see if any adaptations can be made in line with the Disability Discrimination act (DDA) and then the cost involved. The DEA will also seek to find funding for any changes that may be needed. It may be that the job role might need to be changed slightly or another job role found that suits the needs of the disabled person.It might also be a reduction in hours that is needed. If money is then an issue the DEA can help you look at claiming other benefits such as Working Tax Credit or DLA.

The DEA can also arrange for talks to be given to staff at the work place to advise them of disabilities. They will normally talk on a few disabilities so that it doesnt look like "its all about you". If they give a talk on Fibro they would usually also include Dyslexia,Epilepsy,Arthritis. Most people will connect with one of the disabilities spoken about and will learn about the others as well. This helps with colleagues understanding the condition and what you are going through. Sometimes a short film is shown and people from organisations of these disabilities will come in to speak as well.

The customer is kept informed throughout and the DEA will visit at the work place to keep you updated.

The reason I know of this service is because it used to be my job a few years ago. It was very rewarding especially when you were able to help the customer keep their job.

This might not be of any use to you but bare it in mind and if you need any more advice on the service let me know.

Good Luck. :goodluck2:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Re: Disability Employment Advisor (DEA)

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Thank you for all this Di, it could be really helpful for thise still working and needing help and advice.

We've moved it into the Working and Benefits as it seems the most suitable board for those who might need the info and also made it into a "Sticky" so it won't get lost in older posts as newer ones are made.

If anyone has seen their local DEA, and would like to share their experiences with us, it could help other who are wondering who they can contact for advice about their own situation. If a particular person stood out with the way they dealt with things, and they don't mind having their name mentioned (Please check with them before posting their details/info) then feel free to add to the thread. Every little thing we can do to try and make a working life more comfortable could make such a difference :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby diane1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi

If any one needs the sevices of the DEA in the Merseyside area contact me and i'll give you the contact details as i'm still in touch with all the DEA's in this area. I regularly meet up with them all on a social basis as we are a close knit team.

Diane

:blowkiss:
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby Maria » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:48 pm

I can't believe I came across this post...I found this out just by chance at work today while I was surfing the web. I work full time and I do wonder at times how much longer I can continue as I get so fatigued. I use public transport and I find myself sleeping on the bus...as part of my role I have to undertake home visits and attend meetings at different locations through out the borough. I would really like support for staying in employment..but I don't know what support is available. When I get fatigued it makes me have a flare and this increases my pain and I get the fibro fog where I can barely string two sentences together and I cannot process information. I think it would help to know just what my options are.
Maria
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I dont know what area you live in but you can phone your local jobcentre to your place of work asn tell them you need help as you thibk you may be at risk of loosing your job through your disability. Its called a "retention case" and the DEA can help. If you let me know your jobcentre I will try and locate the name of the person you need to see.

I ended up on a desk only job as I couldnt take the traveling. I also reduced my hours but ended up reducing them again and again as I couldnt cope until I knew I had to give in and leave. I dont know what other fibro symptoms you have but they will be able to help. I had fibro fog and started to forget parts of the legal legislation I needed or where to look things up so I got an address book and listed all the things in alpha order as a sort of ready reckoner. At meetings I was allowed to record them as I couldnt remember everything and my targets were reduced as I was slower at doing my work due to the memory and the speed I could type things up because of the pain in my hands. Theres lots of other things can be done and your employer has a legal right to address your issues under the disability discrimination act.

Good Luck.

Diane :goodluck2:
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 pm

So glad I found this thread. I am having terrible trouble at work and my boss wants to start a competency complaint against me but I am sure that a lot of the problems are due to my 'Fibro fog'. Is FM definitely classed as a disability for thr purposes of the Equality Act relating to emloyment conditions Diane1? If so is there somewhere that I could print it off from as evidence?

Thanks for listening and hoping for some positive advice.

Countyfan :dunno:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 pm

THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN STATE CATEGORICALLY IF A DISABILITY IS A DISABILITY IS A TRIBUNAL.

THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF DISABILITY AND FIBRO IS COVERED ;

Disabled people Disability and the Equality Act 2010 From 1 October 2010, the Equality Act replaced most of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). However, the Disability Equality Duty in the DDA continues to apply. Find out about the protection and legal rights the Equality Act provides for disabled people.
Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act 2010 aims to protect disabled people and prevent disability discrimination. It provides legal rights for disabled people in the areas of:

employment
education
access to goods, services and facilities including larger private clubs and land based transport services
buying and renting land or property
functions of public bodies, for example the issuing of licences
The Equality Act also provides rights for people not to be directly discriminated against or harassed because they have an association with a disabled person. This can apply to a carer or parent of a disabled person. In addition, people must not be directly discriminated against or harassed because they are wrongly perceived to be disabled.

More information about the Equality Act, and how you can obtain copies of the Act, can be found on the Government Equalities Office website.

Equality Act 2010 - Government Equalities Office Opens new window The definition of ‘disability’ under the Equality Act 2010
In the Act, a person has a disability if:

they have a physical or mental impairment
the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to perform normal day-to-day activities
For the purposes of the Act, these words have the following meanings:

'substantial' means more than minor or trivial
'long-term' means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least twelve months (there are special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions)
'normal day-to-day activities' include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping
People who have had a disability in the past that meets this definition are also protected by the Act.

Progressive conditions considered to be a disability
There are additional provisions relating to people with progressive conditions. People with HIV, cancer or multiple sclerosis are protected by the Act from the point of diagnosis. People with some visual impairments are automatically deemed to be disabled.

Conditions that are specifically excluded

Some conditions are specifically excluded from being covered by the disability definition, such as a tendency to set fires or addictions to non–prescribed substances.

IF YOUR BOSS IS PLANNING ON TAKING ACTION HE FIRST NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS TO SEE THAT HE HASNT DISCRIMINATED AGAINST YOU AND HAS DONE EVERYTHING TO HELP YOU IN THE WORK PLACE. yOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR UNION REP AND ALSO THE DEA FOR HELP AS I KNOW THIS IS A COMPLICATED PROCESS.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL AND DONT GIVE UP.

(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I'VE JUST REALISED AND IT WOULD TAKE TO LONG TO RETYPE)

LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON.

DIANE

:fingerscrossed: :goodluck2:
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey All, just to give you an update on my situation currently:

Have got an appointment arranged with HR at 9am tomorrow. When my boss heard about this, he called me into his office and started saying that he was changing risk assessments to take account of my limitations and even agreed that the admin work he had given me was, in his own words 'A bit tricky'. I think he is afraid I was going to raise a complaint against him-which I will actually only do if he accuses me of incompetence - As having read the Equality Act in conjunction with the company handbook, he can not raise a competency complaint against me, if it is as a result of my Fibro.
I am taking the deputy manager along for support and will let you know how I get on. Thanks once again for all your advice and messages of support. xx :lol:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:23 pm

:goodluck1: countyfan.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby diane1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm

So glad your Boss has realised he cant treat you as he has. Hopefully now things will get sorted for you and you should find work alot easier.

If you do have any problems get in touch and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

:goodluck2:

Diane
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Diane,

Had meeting with HR. It was very positive and they say they just want to see what they can do to help. Boss hasn't put in competency complaint yet, so at least I got my point of view in first! They want me to see the company doctor and have referred me to a private counsellor (Also paid for by the company). I went to see her this lunchtime and came away feeling a lot more positive. Both she and HR say that my boss shouldn't be treating me the way he does and have suggested ways of coping with the situations as they arise. This along with the Fibro course should really help, as at the moment I am just struggling through with work from weekend to weekend! :crazy:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Maria » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 pm

I had a call from a DEA today who introduced herself to me and after a talk told me that she can arrange for me to get a cab :f1-car: to and from work! I am so relieved :clap: about this as my fatigue :sick: is increasing so much and on bad days I wonder how long I will be able to hold down my job.
Maria
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 pm

It sounds like you've both had some positive things happen :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope the :f1-car: to and from work helps with your fatigue Maria :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

It sounds like you're finally getting somewhere where your boss is concerned countyfan :goodluck2: with seeing the counsellor and company doctor, it sounds like you've got some good people helping you now :clap: :clap: :clap:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 am

Thought things were seeming to go too well! Boss had another massive go at me yesterday. He had me in tears. I wish I could stop myself Did all the things the counsellor said to do, deep breaths and thinking of my safe place, which I had warned boss I was going to do if things started to overwhelm me and then he said 'You aren't listening to me are you?' I can't win with him. It was over something as stupid as wether a certain additional phrase in a COSHH assessment should go at the beginning or end of a sentence... You would think I had made an error in the blood testing and nearly killed someone. He has written now to HR saying, that because I can't please him with these COSHH assessments, he can't be sure I am doing the blood testing work correctly and will have to report me to the registering body!

I hvae to leave to go and face him again now- I wish I could afford to just give up work. Even after seeing the letters from my consultant , stating that I have Fibro he still doubts that I'm not putting it on for effect (As if) No one would willingly ask to feel like I do..

Anyway, sorry for the rant but there is just no-one I can confide in and I know people on this board understand... :yikes:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby scartlass » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm sorry your having a hard time, your boss sounds like a right idiot, if he think anyone in their right mind would pretend to have fibor, then i think he needs help, stay strong and take care of your self :hugs:
scartlass
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits