[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help List - please add whatever helps you

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby bubble » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:36 am

Bags - Long strap and use over head and across body which leaves your arms free to use crutches or whatever.
Keys - Kept dropping so I use a chain doggy thing hooked on my bag, so if the key falls i can just haul it back up.
Chairs - wheely office chair in the kitchen I can push with my foot on the tiles easy to move around on bad days.
Grabber - I wouldnt be without one, also the portable grabbers are good to keep in bag or car just in case.
Scooter - Wouldnt be without this either, but I have to be with someone as I cant get it in the car or lift to put together

Foggy mo will be back with more :cup1:

:goodluck2:
bubble
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

Clothes made from fabrics that don't need ironing
Elasticated waistbands - don't have to mess with buttons, zips etc
Slip on shoes/boots - don't have the pain in my hands when trying to tie laces, pull zips up etc
Electric hand whisk/blender, food processor in the kitchen for whisking, mixing, slicing, grating etc

We've had some threads like this before and they're always helpful for ideas to make things a little easier for us. I'll try and find them and add the linkys to them as well :clap: :clap: :clap:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ouchisme » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all :wave:

One of the older posts had a piece of advice that i've actually tried and it mades a world of difference. If you're v umcomfortable in bed while sleeping ( :lol: ) or resting, put a duvet on top of your bed and sleep on it. I bought a high tog single duvet and its the best thing i've ever done for me. The night sweats with me as a sandwich between 2 duvets are a very sweaty affair :lol: :roll: something i can definitely live with tho. Hope every1 is fairly okay and that new members are getting to grips with the site and the fantasic ppl that speak totaly empathy and understanding :grouphug: all round x
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Here are some of the previous threads on what people have found can help them.

Eyes starting to go rather :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: now

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bubble » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks for them FP, really good

When i read, yep i remembered loads id forgotten thats just second nature now
such as the clothes, and no ironing, buttons zips in odd places lol
Long handle dustpan and brush
bubble
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 pm

If anyone feels that a wheelchair may help them, but is worried about the costs, or may only want one on a temporary basis, then this linky may be of help

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Alaskapops » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am

burning pain - ceiling fans to cool skin down
- standing column fan for leg pain
- biofreeze roll on
- theraflex put in freezer 1st
automatic tin opener
food processor
wheatbags - socks
- gloves put in microwave
curaheat pads - neck + shoulder / lower back / small pads
shopping bags on wheels - trolley type
gel pens - easier to write with - uni-ball I find best
memory foam insoles 6mm in thickness
shock absorbing trainers
soft topped / soft lined shoes
non-elastic socks
merino wool socks
memory topper matresses
memory foam cushions
fleece jumpers / jackets
loose non-iron clothes

thats all for now
hope this helps
:goodluck2:
:grouphug:
alaskapops :D
Alaskapops
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 am

Tens machine - help for pain
memory foam topper - for your bed
memory foam mattress.
shower seat
shower grab rails
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby murdayl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:34 pm

heard a great tip in pain management therapy from one of the ladies with rheumatoid arthritis.She uses the wire baskets that you find in the old fashioned chip pans for when she is boiling potatoes. Unable to lift the heavy pan with the water in, she cooks the potatoes inside the pan in the wire basket, then when done she simply has to lift the basket out, so not having to try and carry a heavy pan to drain. :D :D
murdayl
UKFM Member

Postby winnipeg » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 am

I found spray magnesium helps the pain a bit, you can get few different types, there's a "goodnight" one which i usually use, it itches a bit at first, but wears off after couple of mins.

We saved up for a hydrotherapy bath, we got a fairly cheap one (compared with the prices of some of them!!) It was about £700. Best thing we ever bought, It really creates quite vigorous bubbles,which really help with the pain.

Or epsom salts in a bath help a little. (i think thats magnesium of some type too)
winnipeg
UKFM Member

Postby Lubilou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Not sure if this is the right thing to suggest!

But, Crocs shoes. Mold to my feet, wide, comfy and i feel like i'm walking with slippers on.

Hot hands - I take them to the football with me. Save me when 1 i get cold or 2 when my fingers/any other part of my body give up! This is where i get them from - http://www.stork-club.co.uk/pages/outlet.php Apologies if i shouldn't put a link on here...Admin please remove and i'm sorry if i've done wrong!

I'll try and think of more...
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Its ok lubilou, you arent advertising your own product and its relevant to the thread so link can stay :lol: :lol:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lubilou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 pm

phew, terrified i was going to get told off!

Not sure if this is relevant to anything/anyone else too? TDS make gloves with silver in. I find them really good for work, especially if i am typing a lot!
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:57 pm

We wouldn't tell you off Lubilou, we're nice and fluffy on here :blowkiss: :blowkiss: We gently point out the error of your ways then.......................... :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

Are these the gloves you use when typing??

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lubilou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 pm

ha ha ha :D

They are the ones i use for typing in. If i'm really struggling i pop one of the hotpacks in side them. Don't help me think what i'm typing about though! Could do with one which helps my brain!
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping