[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - can/t lose the weight @@@@@@ any tips.

can/t lose the weight @@@@@@ any tips.

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

can/t lose the weight @@@@@@ any tips.

Postby animalhouse » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am

i have been trying to set myself a target of 30 mins exercise a day but i just cant do it. :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:

i am so dpressed at the amount of weight i have put on in the past 18 months, i don;t want to look like bag lady all the time, but i don;t want to buy clothse 3 sizes bigger. i just can;t accept it. :| :| :|

i have been using the wii to weight myself and it just keeps going up and down but won;t stay off.

i hardly eat anything, i try and cut out the chocs now for the past 2 weeks and just been eating mainly fruit and vet.

lived on carrots/cucumber & humous last week for lunch and bananas, and not had hardly aqny dinner if at all.

i have eatnen more banans to fill me up as i am trying to be more active but i can't do it.

on the wee i have managed 3 mins of step then i just cant lift my legs up anymore and my back is killing me. i have pusched on and tried to do another set - but thats onlly 6 mins.l then son does jogging in 2 mins sets - i sit and bounch on gym ball whilst he does this so i am not on my legs/back. i would then leave it and do some more in evening.

i do some yoga as well but can only stretch certain bits, can/t weight bare on my hands/legs so basically stretch arms a bit.

its just impossible i can;t seem to exercise stay active enought to burn off what i eat adn not a lot. :swear1: :swear1:
i know should be last thing on my mind with pain/.fatigue etc. but whenever i go shopping with my 2 teenagers (once every fewe months) i look awful.

does anyone have any tips.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: can/t lose the weight @@@@@@ any tips.

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi

I know just how you feel, its so depressing when you don't have the energy to excercise. I found a way round all of this and to some degree it really does help!! I have a small dog, she is a great companion and i force myself to walk her twice a day and i also count my calories and try bto stick to it. If you are only eating fruit and vegetables then your body will go into starvation mode so you will not burn as many calories as you would otherwise have done had you been eating a well balanced diet. As well as having fibromyalgia i also am diabetic and have severe crohn's disease so i have to be very careful to balance my energy input/output. When crohn's is bad i live on Morrisons value rice pudding, some days i can eat up to 5 tins, plus the prescribed energy drinks and this works for me. I do at other times eat a balanced diet but the rice pudding days do reduce my weight. I am on high dose steroids so i only have to look at food to gain weight.

I have been very ill with the crohn's over the last 2 weeks and i have shed nearly 2 stone and walking Milly even when i don't feel up to it does really help and i don't feel like i am doing boring/soul destroying excercise lol!!! I really hope this helps you, try to eat your fruit and vegetables but do try and include some protein to balance and maybe try the rice pudding as a substitute to some of your meals it could help.

Big hugs
Mmdoo xx
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Miranda1987 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi animalhouse :wave:

I know where you're coming from, I was losing weight before fibro got really bad and I'm still trying to shift the extra bits. I've got the Wii as well, I try to do ten minutes of the yoga, and then ten to twenty (if it's a good day) minutes of walking.

Don't panic about amounts, the great thing about the Wii is you can do something for a couple of minutes and then have a rest, which is better than going for a full ten minutes or something if you feel bad-you probably already know this, and I'm just repeating though lol :oops:

Also, don't weigh yourself every day. I know it asks you to do that, but tiny changes in your body, with proteins or water, or anything, can subtly adjust your weight. It's better to do it once a week, this will give a better result, so then you're not worrying day to day! :D

Also, absolutely make sure you are eating enough! You should definitely be eating dinner every night! Loads of peopple cut back so much on food, that they don't realise they put their body into starvation mode. This means your body will store more fat as it thinks you have no food available, and your energy will be even lower, as it shuts down un-necessary (to your brain) tasks that it thinks you don't need to do.

Make sure you have fruit and veg, but also meat, and things like pasta or bread. Don't panic about food, the best way to eat to lost weight is this; eat whenever you are hungry, but just eat until you are full. So make whatever you would like to eat (obviously healthy lol), and eat slowly, and eat until you feel full-but not stuffed, just full. Then stop eating. Then when you next feel hungry, whther that is in four hours or half an hour, do exactly the same thing again. This not only means your body gets everything it needs, but it also increases your metabolism, which means it can help you lose weight even if you can't do a lot of exercise.

Also drink loads of water, it helps your energy and general health, which means you might feel a bit better to do light exercises as well. I admit I don't like the taste of water much, so I always have some juice in mine, which is just as good.

You can also do what are called 'desk exercises', which you can do sitting down, and these are sometimes good. This website has some good exercises, I know it says it is for at your desk, but you can do them anywhere sat down-

Swimming is also really good, if you can get to a pool. It's best to do this if you know you can relax the next day however, as it is great while you are doing some light aerobics and swimming in the pool, as you won't feel anything, but then you will feel like you have done exercise when you finish! :D

I know a lot of this sounds like it won't work, especially the eating bit, but I promise you it WILL, I've been doing it since February, and it definitely works, trust me :)

And also, you shouldn't do this because of how you look. I understand that's easier to say than do, because I'm the same. And although it sounds like the usual rubbish, it is true, you are gorgeous anyway. And I don't even know how you look, and I promise you that you are gorgeous. People are just people, and everyone will ALWAYS remember your smile, or your laugh, or that thing you said, they will NEVER remember that the woman who came in the room was really skinny.

If you start to feel really down, the best thing to do is take your mind off the vicious cycle of 'I'm fat, therefore I'm ugly, therefore I must lose weight' (which I used to do, you have to retrain your mind, and not watch or read anything which will make you feel this way.), do something that makes you feel good, like treating yourself to that perfume you like, or painting your nails a different colour, or getting a new haircut-that one works wonders :D

Also, sometimes we feel like we need to lose more weight because of clothes. Most shops have clothes that are cut only for one kind of body shape-and we know that most of us are not bloody pencils! I like shops like dorothy perkins, because they make a lot of clothes that are cut for gorgeous curvy body types. So it is usually that you do not need the next size up, but you need the proper cut for your shape! This website is good for explaining it a bit more :)

I know I've written a HUGE amount of info here, and it's a lot at once, but I started typing, and more came out lol :D I hope that at least some of my advice is of some help to you, I've done all this stuff myself, and found that it works, and I feel better for it. Please let me know if you do anything I've suggested, and let me know how it goes. :hugs:

Take care, gentle hugs to all :grouphug: x
You only regret the things you haven't done in life-so do everything you can! :D

That's right, I said fibromyalgia is a bain in my pottom!.........Oh, wait!
Miranda1987
UKFM Member

Postby Azz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Hardly eating anything will only trick your body into thinking it is starving and it will store fat for emergencies. The way I do it is to eat what I want when I want but in smaller portions. I make sure I am hungry first by drinking a glass of water, if in 5 mins I still feel hungry I will then eat something slowly taking in all the flavour. If I think I am full i stop eating until the next time, I weigh 1.5 stone less and want to lose another 1 stone. I a dress size smaller and want to get down by one more :)
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby Bebbe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi everyone :wave: Have any of you tried Weight Watchers its very easy to follow and you can still have your favourite foods, it works on a points system for example fruit and veg are 0 points a slice of bread is about 1 1/2 points (the more saturated fat in a product the more points it will be) I'm on 22 points a day which is about 2200cal and I've lost 4lbs in about 10 days and that's with no exercise (the goal is to lose 1 to 2lbs a week) but they do encourage you to try and exercise for about 15mins a day, 15 minutes on an exercise bike would earn you an extra point, try splitting the exercise into three 5 minute sessions.
The worse thing you can do is starve yourself you need food for energy, its just a case of balancing your calorie intake with little or no exercise, no exercise then you need less calories the more exercise you do the more calories you will need. And watch those portion sizes a good tip from Fat Family's was to eat your food with a cocktail stick ( smaller spoon if its soup) obviously it will take you longer to eat your meal but it takes your stomach 20 minutes to register that its full and you will not over eat.
Hope this helps
PS Weight Watchers have changed to Pro Points now but its the same style points system
I joined in 2001 I didn't go back after I reached my goal weight in 2003 so I still have the old books and points finder so when the pounds creep back on I dig them out and go back on my 22 points if you stick to your points for the rest of your life you should be able to maintain a healthy weight I managed to keep the weight off for two years sticking to my points but 3 years ago my mother died so the diet went the out the window and I put on over a stone and Fm does not help .
Bebbe
UKFM Member

Postby Azz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:23 am

I lost over 1.5 stone with slimming world, weight watchers never worked for me as I was always thinking about my next meal while preparing the one I was about to eat. WIth slimming world you get to eat loads and still lose weight.

Try using a smaller plate so that you have smaller portions it will trick you brain into thinking it is full quicker. Try drinking a glass of water as sometimes the brain can trick us into thinking we are hungry when we are thirsty.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby ladyofwales » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 pm

I know what that is like... I have lost 7 stone this year. I was so desparate. I did the low carb diet. It worked for me. it is hard to stick to at first but after a week or two you get used to it, plus you get to have some treats, such as strawberries, blueberries, jelly ect. No good if you are a veggy. Im happier but still feel as exhausted. Only got another 3 stone to go. Have had a break over the last few weeks but getting back to it tomorrow until christmas.
I also find exersice nearly impossible, it hurts to walk, i am so exhausted all the time i can hardly lift my head off the pillow. How am i surpossed to exersice..AAAHHHHH...
If anyone would like some advise just ask..
Hope you all find a way. :)
ladyofwales
UKFM Member

Postby crankycatmk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:16 am

Cut down the bananas to 1 a day. They are fattening.
Eat grapes instead of chocolate. They are sweet but not fattening.
Do not do exercise that needs you to stand up, unless its in a swimming pool. Swimming or just floating and moving body in water is the best exercise for people like us with chronic pain.
also, chair exercises are ok.
Dont eat so little that your body goes into starvation mode. If you dont eat enough, your body thinks ' I dont know when im next going to get fed, so i better store this food for later' Fact!
Start your day with a high fibre cereal. Crucial for people on pain killers.
I am enjoying making my own different vegetable soups for lunch each day. They are really filling and healthy. I look online for new reciepes to try out. Its quite fun.
Dont diet alone without the support of a good friend, you wont last. Encouragement is the key to keep you going.
I am happy to be an online diet buddy, cos I too am struggling with weight issues. we can help encourage each other. :cup1:
crankycatmk
UKFM Newbie

Postby alikat1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi there - lots of conflicting points of view and advice for you! So here's another one to chew on...

I read what you eat as well, and although it's 'good' re being fruit and veg, a lot of it is very high in sugar (bananas, carrots and many other things) and they are carbs.

So, you actually will not only get sugar spikes (energy then no energy/hungry), carbs convert to insulin...that converts to...yep...fat.

There is no scientific research that proves that eating 'good fat' ie animal (cheese, protein, butter, cream etc) creates body fat.

More research I carried out is that there is a lot of scientific research that shows a lower carb, higher fat diet not only reduces fat/weight but also reduces the bad cholesterol in your system -and increases the good.

More interestingly -as the government, diabetes associations, heart & stroke associations etc have been pushing the low-fat food pyramid (where the base (biggest amount of food to eat) are indeed carbs...however, after 30+ years of pushing this way of eating, people are more obese than ever!

I read a great article from the New York Times in regards to this - and that after 30+ years of pushing high carbs/low fat, even though there is huge proof that it should be the opposite (low carbs/high fat) that the government, health organisations simply cannot do a 360 in regards to what they've been preaching for so long.

All I can say is I have been eating bacon, cheese, eggs, double cream, butter and other "no-no's" for 2 weeks now...and have lost 1st 1lb as of today. If fat caused me to get fat, I would have gained!

Do your research! It may be the plain baked potato you are eating that is causing weight gain vs the butter you want to slather on it!

Hopping off soapbox now!

A.x

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 am

just read some fo these points again and need to rethink my stragtegy abit i think.

i think the cutting down carbs and more protein sounds good but not a big meat eater prefer veg to be honest but didn;t realise about he banaasas.

any quick tips love cream and that kind of stuff too but am totally baffled or overwhelmed now and don;t know what i can/cant eat just need to decide which diet/lifestyle choice to follow i think.

i am trying to do some exercise everyday on wii or swimming though.

thanks for all the info. :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby alikat1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:21 pm

I am not a big meat eater either...however, there are no carbs in eggs and fish...not a huge amount in Quorn (mince -not the breaded stuff). Cheese is very low as well, as are some nuts.

For me, here are a few things I do:
-sugar-free jelly powder dissoloved in a bit of hot water...add a couple of packages of cream cheese (full fat not low fat -full of filler/carbs as is almost anything lowat). I use a hand held electric mixer, mix the cheese/jelly together then add double cream (lg container) til its thick. This will set in the fridge and is yummy! We like it drizzle with yet more cream!

-a couple of spoonfuls of Whole Earth chunky peanut butter for a snack (has salt no sugar and does the trick for me!)

-tuna salad/egg salad

I could go on! Google low carb vegetarian recipes...gazillions on there! Sticking to 20 net carbs or below a day is a good start, net meaning the carb count minus fiber, as fiber passes through your system, the rest converts to insulin, which in turn converts to fat (that's how I understand it!).

My neighbour was struggling terribly with her weight...she started her day off with a banana, oatmeal etc. Snacks were also fruit. She was keeping to a lowfat regime...but she was loading up with sugar through fruit and carbs! Once she switched to low carb the change in her body in a course of months was phenomenal. And she wasn't hungry either, as the amount of fat kept her full.

For me, I did this 10 years ago and went from a size 26 to a size 14 in 6 months in Canada. (Then I moved to the UK and discovered pies, chocolates...I could go on...(and did!).

As of yesterday, I entered my 3rd week low carbing and have lost 1st3lbs!

Sent from my MID_Serials using Tapatalk
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:05 pm

My fav quick sweet fix (low carb) is marscapony mixed with sweetner and a bit of cream you can flavour it with a tiny bit of vanilla extract,grated citrus rind,sugar free cocoa - whatever you like its gorgeous!!! Xx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Return to Weight Issues