[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Struggling to find a support group?

Struggling to find a support group?

Find a support group in your area or find out if there are others with whom you could start up a group.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Struggling to find a support group?

Postby pogster » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I don't know if this helps anyone else, but I have just joined my local M.E. support group. Even though I don't have M.E. a lot of the symptoms of fibro are similar and in the absence of enough fibro support groups I decided any support is better than no support.

I'm so glad I joined as I managed to get on a course called 'Mindfulness' which they are running at a low cost. Having chatted to some of the members I realised that their condition is similar to fibro in lots of ways and their stories about poor memory are very close to mine, which is reassuring.

Please let me know if you try this and it helps you manage your fibro better, so that other people who need support might find an alternative way of finding it.

Take care all and hope if you're not good today, that tomorrow will be a bit better. x
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Re: Struggling to find a support group?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks pogster :wave: :wave: When I've been looking for stuff in various areas, quite often ME/CFS groups have come up. Some have mentioned that they have FM members, others haven't. Even if there isn't a mention of it, as you've found, it's always worth getting in touch with them to see if they have any advice/suggestions.

As you've said, FM and ME/CFS have a number of overlapping symptoms, as well as the differences between them. I've done some work on mindfulness when I was having therapy, and it can be helpful. Hope you continue finding a lot of benefit from the support group :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Foggys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Foggy's "invisible illness" Support

Primarily setup as Fibromyalgia Support, we provide support where possible for other "invisible illnesses":

Arthritic and Rheumatic Conditions
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Widespread Pain
Fibromyalgia
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ménière’s Syndrome
M.E. ~ Myalgic Encephalopathy
Myofascial Pain
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Trigeminal Neuralgia

We meet every first Wednesday of the month 12 - 2pm, at Liden Community Centre, Barrington Close, Swindon SN3 6HF.

Meetings are casual, drop-in basis, unless we have a speaker and we ask that you arrive promptly for them. We ask for £1 per meeting which pays for refreshments and goes towards hall hire.

As a paid Foggy member £10 (£5 joining fee, £5 renewable every April) you;

have access to our member’s area, which has extra information, including free login information for Benefits and Work website.

receive a lanyard, name badge and relaxation disc.

can also take advantage of FREE swimming (or bobbing about) and Jacuzzi with Thamesdown Hydrotherapy Pool every Monday 1.45pm – 2.45pm. It’s a lovely warm pool and helps ease aches and pains and you can bob about having a chat in a friendly atmosphere.

As I tell people who contact us, please try to come to a meeting as being shy is allowed, suffering alone is NOT !!

Est. 29/06/2010
Last edited by Foggys on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deb Cooke
Groups Founder & Leader
Foggy's "invisible illness" Support

07396 161265
Between 12 – 3pm
MONDAY-FRIDAY
(voice mail available 24/7)

http://www.foggys.net
Foggys
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know about the groups Deb :wave: :wave: Anyone from the area who asks on here, we'll try to send them in your direction :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Support Groups