[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - How much info for DLA form?

How much info for DLA form?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How much info for DLA form?

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:45 pm

I saw a lady from CAB and she said to put lots down (which I have). I've almost completed the form, so far I've got loads of extra info for Question 61 as the form's allocated answer spaces are often not big enough, and I have a number of conditions to discuss.

I also have about 6,500 words on a seperate document where I talked generally about what each condition is, how it affects me and what help I need as a result. I found it easier to say everything in my own words first, and then structure the answers to the questions. In total this bit is 10 pages, I'm planning on trimming it down a bit as some of it I've copied and pasted into the form itself.

I've also got two articles on each condition, copies of Drs letters confirming various diagnoses etc, lists of my medication. My parents are going to write a short letter saying what they do to help me and why which we will also attach to the form.

My parents are having a go at me a bit and saying I'm putting too much down. Do you think that is too much? The CAB lady said it was imperative to say things like 'I can't do this because of XYZ' and back it up with examples, rather than just putting 'I can't get myself out of bed most days because I'm too tired'. So instead put 'because my Fibromyalgia causes unrefreshing sleep which leaves me very fatigued in the morning, I also have stiff muscles from having been in bed all night from the Fibromyalgia and struggle to get out of bed so someone has to help me sit up and bring my legs around' etc.

I'm just panicking a bit now, I don't want to say too little, especially as I put quite a bit down for the ESA 50 and I have explained that I've been working on the form for just over a month and explained how I have to pace myself, do a little every day etc. But I also don't want to put too much down so they think 'she can't be that bad!'.

I am going to trim down the extra info bit, for those bits I copied and pasted into the form I'll just summarise and say 'as explained in main form'. It's half the length of my dissertation which tells me it's pretty long!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: How much info for DLA form?

Postby chrisgoneferal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello

I think you do right to paint a picture of how your life is.

They have a job to do assessing people's conditions and without your help they can't do that efficiently.

I hate that getting up in the morning bit the most because I feel so stiff and just getting down the stairs is so dangerous..have had a few tumbles.....I have lost sight of how my life used to be got so used to making do with what I can manage...rather than what I could before and luckily I live in sleepy hollow so I can cope fairly well but when I visit family i can't cross the road because the traffic is so fast up country.

I wish you well. There are so many grim stories on this site about the treatment benefits staff give to people, but they are only human they need to know how you are.

Best of luck with it all

Chris
chrisgoneferal
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks, I think you're right. Mum agrees with me too, it's just Dad being a miserable grump about it. He's been reading far too many Dail Mail stories about 'Scroungers' and I think it's scared him that they'll automatically assume I'm lying if I'm detailed. But I think too little info is worse than too much. Worst thing that can happen is that they decided to send me to ATOS if they think there's too much info and I might not be that bad, but if there's not enough they'll probably just say no straight away.

There's a lot of hoops to jump through!

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Tricia_TD » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm

The more relevant information you can put down, the better. A lot of it is repetitive, so don't be afraid to repeat the same phrase over and over again.

Before you seal the envelope, remember to take a copy of it. You might have to refer to it again, and it's always handy to have a copy to refer to when you have another of these blasted forms to fill in, be it DLA, PIP or ESA.

I personally like to fill it in on-line and then print it off, but it's down to personal preference.

Good luck with your claim :fingerscrossed:

Tricia
Endometriosis ~ Depression ~ Anxiety ~ Sleep Apnoea ~ Fibromyalgia

Worldwide Endometriosis Support Forum
Tricia_TD
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm doing it online as I'm not allowed to hand write for medical reasons (it's deforming my thumb).

I have repeated myself a bit but I find it helps people to remember and it drums it in nicely for them. I finished the form today, leaving it now and will review on Boxing Day with my parents, get them to write their letter and then I'll send it on Tues 27th. If they get it by 6th Jan they'll backdate to 25 November. Even if I just got LRC I would be in line for about £100 backdated so it's worth getting it on on time for :-) I'm just glad others agree with me, it's so hard to know how to fill the form in, it's so long! :-|

I'm just going to kick back now and wait for :santchimney1: :mrgreen:

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby sjc » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:36 pm

:-D hi there. Hope you are ok. I hope your claim goes ok. You sound that you've done a great job, the more details you put in, the better...alot claimants do not put enough details in the form or write the correct information in dla/esa, which causes them to not get the correct benefits or then they have a medical. I've always done my dla/esa forms in detail and i always look up criteria i need to follow - this as resulted in me getting dla/esa straightaway and to the correct rate. Make sure you put your name, national insurance and date or birth on every piece of paper. Look up at dla rules on what rates they give and what you need to say in order to get that particular rate. For example, if you are in severe physically pain/discomfort from your conditions, then keep saying that your virtually unable to walk due to severe discomfort. In order to get high rate mobility for virtually unable to walk reasons, then you have to say you can walk upto 50-100 metres before discomfort occurs. Take care. Xxxx
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits