[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - ESA medical today

ESA medical today

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA medical today

Postby Woodentop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Got it over with, now just got to wait. Not the best experience I've ever had - arrived 10 mins before appointment time as requested and finally got seen 30 mins after the appointment time! Worn out before I started. Medical person was a physiotherapist so I think had some understanding of the condition, but so nice and friendly I was a little suspicious ( maybe I shouldn't be like that, but what I've read and heard it makes me that way ). Anyway she asked all the standard questions and then did the physical bit which was agony. One of the things she wanted me to do was raise my knee to my chest while lying on my back. Don't think I could have done that when I was fit never mind now! I do believe she could see I was in agony with all the ridiculous contortions I had to do - she kept apologising. I just wish she could have seen me when I got home and I haven't recovered several hours later. That's the main problem- they don't see us afterwards. I now have visions of the next couple of days being a real struggle and I am so fatigued it's unreal. Oh well, must try to forget it for now and relax a bit. Maybe I'll win the lottery and then I won't have to worry at all!! :fingerscrossed:
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Re: ESA medical today

Postby denys » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 pm

:fingerscrossed: woodentop you never know :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad its all over for you and :fingerscrossed: you get the right decision first time :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Woodentop » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks denys, I'm trying to keep positive. It could go the right way :fingerscrossed:
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 am

Good luck, let's hope they make the right decision for you :-)

Mine's at the end of the month; were you in the actual medical a long time? The lady does sound nice and hopefully will know about FM as a Physio but I do wonder how she's supposed to be better qualified than your GP/Rheumy etc to assess you. And what on earth does she do with people who have non musco-skeletal disorders like Autism etc?

Let us know when you hear back, hopefully it'll be good news and come soon :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Hope you get the right decision Woodentop :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Be a little wary of even the nice ones. The one I saw was a nurse, all the way thru things she was very understanding and sympathetic and supposedly told us all that she was putting down in the assessment as it progressed. It was only when I attended a WFI that I found out that she'd actually put down very little of what she was saying :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What made it worse for me was that I had been taken in by her :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Atom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Have a look at this:

5.7 The CONTRACTOR shall use reasonable endeavour to ensure that examinations
commence within ten (10) minutes, of their scheduled time, when Claimants arrive in time for
their appointment.

It comes from the contract that ATOS have with the DWP. I lifted it from this site: http://www.whywaitforever.com/dwpatoscontract.html

The site itself is fantastic and full of really good information.
Atom
UKFM Member

Postby mikebach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:59 am

For Atos assessment purposes Fibromyalgia is a medical condition listed in the medical category of "3. Tentatively invite to Medical Examination Centre". There should be no issue in declining the invitation to attend the face to face assessment. In this case Atos should contact your GP and/or consultants. You can have the assessment carried out at your home. You only need to request this. This is your choice. Atos may, in breach of Contract, require you to contact your GP. Atos will be insistant. Just ask Atos to confirm which clause in the Contract supports this. Please, please, please ONLY EMAIL Atos. You will have a trail of documents that will help you if you need to appeal. Many lose appeals because they rely on recalled phone conversations which cannot be supported. If you do have a phone conversation email your understanding as soon as possible to Atos customer service and ask them to confirm that this accurately reflects your conversation. Remember Atos is an insurance assessor treat accordingly.

You should find out the name and credentials of the individual who decided you needed a face to face assessment and as an assessment has taken place the name and credentials of the individual who undertook the assessment. Please publish the names and credentials of these HCPs on thisand other forums. I have tried to obtain a full list under FOI but so far with no success. Independent researchers need to access this information to be assured that Atos are fully compliant with the Contract.

Remember also the assessment is based on the pseudo-science hokem described by Unum as a "non medical" model for assessing medical conditions and implemented by Prof Mansel Aylward now of Cardiff University as director of a unit previously funded by Unum. Beware of Derby University for whom Atos are funding a disbility assessment module for nurses. The "non medical" model is now being called "evidence" based. Unfortunately it leaves out an important caveat the term should be "evidence (excluding the patient's history and information from GPs and/or Consultant)" based where the evidence is discussion and simple tasks that even the most acute patients can achieve if their symptoms are intermittent. Of course "non medical" means outside the medical regulatory remit.

I with a brain tumour causing epilepsy, seizures and extremly painful multiple daily fits was found work capable. Hence I publish the information on my WhyWaitForever website including my correspondence in full. After two years and two months the DWP conceded the case. Compensation is currently with the Independent Case Examiner.
mikebach
UKFM Newbie

Postby mikebach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Oh I forgot. "Never smile at a crocodile as a crocodile will always smile". Treat all correspondence as legal documents, facts not opinions. It is part of the HCP training to smile, smile, smile. Think of them as smiling venemous snakes. In my experience if the HCP smiles like a Jack-n-Apes it is a sure sign you will be shafted. Never compliment any individual as that will be taken as you agree with the Atos report. My HCP said Atos paid for her to be flown in and if she did not do as required it was made clear she would be booted out. I did feel sorry for her...it cost me. Complain even before the DWP Decision Maker gives the result. Leave it three days and ask for a copy of the medical advice. Complain that Atos are a software company so producing the medical advice should be trivial. State over and over again that you have fibromyalgia and that when symptoms occur the effect this has on you. Press that you should receive the payment (it is only an extra thirty quid). Contact your MP at the delay in receiving the report. If you contact your MP the Contract says you get special treatment. My website should provide some help that many should not need legal advice. CAB etc are overwhelmed with requests for help. Help yourself and let other know what works. Nil desperandum.
mikebach
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Thank you for the info Mike this is bound to help members who have to go through the process :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Woodentop » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The whole thing really took it out of me and only now am I beginning to pick up. I spent the weekend feeling dreadful - couldn't sleep for pain, and soooo fatigued it was unreal. I'm so angry that I have to feel like this through no fault of my own. If anybody else had done this to me I would have had them for assault!
Ldyalb - the whole thing was about 40 mins if you don't include the 45 mins I was waiting to go in. It can be anything between 30-45 mins depending on what they do.
Atom- interesting about the waiting time. She apologised over and over for keeping me waiting and said that the people doing the booking had overbooked. I don't see how they can, because I had to cancel my original appointment and they offered me several different times on the new date with plenty of time in between each appointment. I think it was deliberate as I know there was a two way mirror in the waiting room, plus cameras,so they had time to watch everyone. It does say that you have the right to leave if they keep you waiting for an unreasonable length of time, but I didn't really want to have to go through it again - I just wanted to get it over with.
Thank you Mikebach for all that info. I will certainly be taking a look on the website. What you have said is very helpful. Also interesting, the bit about Derby Uni. It just so happens my assessment was in Derby!
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:40 pm

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Woodentop » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Having just got round to looking at the 'Why Wait forever' website, I must say I'm really impressed with the info it gives. I think though that the questioning at the assessments seems to have changed, looking at the example on there. I was not asked a lot of those questions, so can we assume that the medical professional can choose what to ask as I thought they had to stick to certain ones. I will be asking to see a copy of the report whatever the outcome because I don't trust them to not put words into my mouth and invent things. Oh dear, how did I get to be like this - suspicious and mistrusting, particularly of people in authority.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 am

Because the system stinks.

I read today on a Benefits and Work newsletter (not a paid up member) that now you can have your appeal cancelled by DWP Clerks telling the Tribunal you've telephoned and decided not to go ahead.

It's absolutely unbelievable.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits